Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlie Brooker's Newswipe

2»

Comments

• Options
    Thought it was good, but not quite up to screenwipe in its prime.Glad to hear newswipe is coming back tho, i thought he might have been done for after that godawful panel show on C4....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Watched it last night and he was funny but...

He does pick some soft targets. X factor, Britain's got Talent etc.

Never watched them or that Noel Edmonds vehicle he slagged off so was left feeling "yes, Charlie, very witty but I didn't care about those shows anyway"

Bit like shooting ducks in a barrel IMHO meanwhile he's using his disdain as an excuse to show some funny bloopers (eg the unedited swearing on breakfast TV).
    That was the only blooper to be fair, and I think he was trying to make a point about low-wattage types complaining and demanding an apology when they'd already had one...

Soft targets sure, but (I'd guess that like most of Brookers audience) I don't watch them so it's an amusing digest of rubbish TV. I'm not going to plough through hundreds of hours of ITV2 schedule in order to find amusing little gems like Fern meets Peaches (and even if I did I'd get so annoyed I'd switch it off after about a minute) when I can loftily sneer at them, and by extension their audience, in a funny little 40 minute chunk commentated on by a man possibly more miserable and frustrated, than myself. He's spinning gold out of sh1t, IMO.
  • Options
    Amen to that McLovin!
  • Options
    Thought it was great last night. Sometimes I think 'is it only me' that doesn't get all this mind numbing sh**e that is served up to the masses these days. So it was great to get some reassurance that it isn't. The Fern B/Peaches G thing was classic. Didn't know whether to feel sorry for her or laugh. Laughing won out!
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Just comes over as TV commenting on other TV as if TV was all that mattered. We know it is shite TV which is why we don't watch it.

The whole Noel Edmonds show could have been really undermined if there had been more to than some neat and witty slag offs of Edmonds.

Very funny, very smart but just a bit too safe and easy like saying "that Hitler, he was a bastard". True but not really challenging your audience which isn't, at 10.30pm on BBC Four, going to be viewers of X factor, etc.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Chaz Hill[/cite]Thought it was great last night. Sometimes I think 'is it only me' that doesn't get all this mind numbing sh**e that is served up to the masses these days. So it was great to get some reassurance that it isn't.

That's rather how I feel about the show. I think Henners is rather missing the point, they may seem soft targets but the whole point is to pick out the worst examples of sh!te on TV and highlight them for what they are. It's preaching to the converted, true, but sometimes it's just nice to hear someone agree with you!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chaz Hill[/cite]Thought it was great last night. Sometimes I think 'is it only me' that doesn't get all this mind numbing sh**e that is served up to the masses these days. So it was great to get some reassurance that it isn't.

That's rather how I feel about the show. I think Henners is rather missing the point, they may seem soft targets but the whole point is to pick out the worst examples of sh!te on TV and highlight them for what they are. It's preaching to the converted, true, but sometimes it's just nice to hear someone agree with you!

Correct :-)