Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

LCD vs Plasma TV - Minefield

Comments

• Options
    Cheers again everyone, on balance will look more closely at Plasma than LCD if the higher end models have sorted out power consumption and screen burn (kids watch a lot of Playhouse Disney, so will be mighty p*ssed if that logo appears across my viewing of the Dark Knight in a few weeks time), as picture quality is my main driver.
  • Options
    Very recently bought a Sony 40" W5710 (a model exclusive to Sony Centres which is basically the W5500 plus a few cosmetic tweaks) for £1000 plus a £100 off a surround sound system. It came with a 5 yr parts and labour waranty but I think that was limited offer so may no longer stand. I think someone's mentioned John Lewis do 5yr warranties but look around on line too, cos you can often cancel out the cost warranty by getting the set cheaper to begin with (Richer Sounds were quite competetive when I was looking).

I was in much the same position as Pavo to begin with but after much research, all the best reviews seemed to be of LCDs, particularly Sonys. Plasmas apparently use a load more power and get pretty hot, as others have mentioned. I think colours are often a bit richer, at least vs cheaper LCDs, and blacks a bit deeper, but so far I'm dleighted with the picture on my set.

I read a lot of complaints about LCDs regarding backlight bleed and clouding and I think it can be a bit of a lottery if you get a good one or not and you may have to send the set back for exchange, but thankfully, I can't pick up a hint of it on my set, so happy days.

If you do end up in a Sony Centre, make sure you do some haggling. Prices vary from store to store so you may be able to drive the price down a bit or get some extras thrown in or reduced. The do some packages including a free Blu Ray player and the like too.
  • Options
    Don't talk about Blue-ray players - grumble....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]Don't talk about Blue-ray players - grumble....

Just buy a PS3 Reliable and Fun ;o)
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Riscardo[/cite]Have to agree with GH here ... 42 inch here, 50 inch there ... go get yo'self a wireless

innit called "wifi" these days? ;)
  • Options
    Just wanted to say a big thanks for your input and advice. I finally plmped for a 40" Sony LCD this week and it is wicked. No problems thus far and awesome sound and visuals.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I have a 32" lg lcd and a 42" philips plasma both HD 1080i (720p LCD eqivalent) and can say I think the philips plasma is far superior in quality, I have been very disappointed with the newer lg lcd particularly when viewing standard def with exactly the same set top box.

Having said that lcd may have moved on a bit, best thing to do is get a trade mag, and personal referals. its impossible to be sure when watching in the shop. 1080p full or true hd whatever they call it may make a difference of course, not sure how much content there is that really actually runs at that level - sky is 1080i I believe.

In terms of size appropriate to your room there is a ratio which tells you which screen size you need, try a trade mag or google it.
  • Options
    anyone know what the best 40-42" plasma 1080p is on the market right now, sub 1k tho
  • Options
    still looking for a 42" tv and still not sure if plasma is the way to go or lcd, views anyone?
  • Options
    I used to have a 42" LCD and have since changed to a 50" Samsung Plasma and i would go for a Plasma every time. The pixels on some of the dark scenes in a movie used to drive me nuts on the LCD
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Samsung LED
  • Options
    You can pick up a Samsung 42 incher for about 500 sheets
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]You can pick up a Samsung 42 incher for about 500 sheets

Why is it I read this and weird underlying sexual connotations spring to mind?! I need to get out more...
  • Options
    I bought a 46" series 8 Samsung LED (its really a LCD) backlit last October from Allders. A 5 year waranty included plus £200 cash back.
    Not a bad picture, but to be honest, they are a bit of muchness to me. i just wanted a big tv with a small case.
    I've got it hooked up to Sky HD, Bt Vision box and a Sony Blu-Ray player, played through a Onkyo 7.1 amp with Bose and Yamaha speakers and a AE sub woofer. All controled With a Harmony 885 remote. It sounds quite nice.
    And you cant see a cable or wire anywhere.
  • Options
    Go with either Samsung, Philips or LG LED or LCD or Plasma all are v.high quality TV's
  • Options
    Got a Philips 37" LCD last week, picture is superb and thats without HD sky box or Blu-ray which are arriving this weekend. The high end Philips stuff is great but unsuprisingly pricey. Ive only got this one because I won £1800 in a Philips competition.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    [cite]Posted By: charltonkeston[/cite]I bought a 46" series 8 Samsung LED (its really a LCD) backlit last October from Allders. A 5 year waranty included plus £200 cash back.
    Not a bad picture, but to be honest, they are a bit of muchness to me. i just wanted a big tv with a small case.
    I've got it hooked up to Sky HD, Bt Vision box and a Sony Blu-Ray player, played through a Onkyo 7.1 amp with Bose and Yamaha speakers and a AE sub woofer. All controled With a Harmony 885 remote. It sounds quite nice.
    And you cant see a cable or wire anywhere.

I have that Onkyo I think, seems to be a flakey now, the osd won't come on whatever I do even after factory reset, and I get a few problems when switching between devices - I have a Freesat recorder and Vaio Media centre hooked up to it. The sound is very good though, particularly the auto set up where you can tell it three listening positions and it compensates..
  • Options
    http://www.which.co.uk/advice/lcd-vs-plasma-tvs/index.jsp

Plasma uses about 50% more energy needed for the same brightness of picture
    Big producers now not making plasmas

Recycling issues with plasma

Get an LCD
  • Options
    I have a top of the range 32" LCD LG telly, looks amazing!

You want the size of the TV to be 2/3s of the distance you sit away from the TV.
  • Options
    LCD's are better on the electric and have slightly longer life-span. however the Plasma's have sharper picture quality (HD is wasted on some LCD's) and Plasmas are less likely to suffer accidental damage. The liquid crystal screen on an LCD can become permanently marked or smeared quite easily if you ahve a young child hit it or wii remote, anything like that, so if you have children, pets or a clumsy other-half and don't mind the slightly higher electric bill then go for the plasma. If money is tight and you want something economical and likely to last a bit longer but don't mind a less sharp picture go for the LCD. hope this helps :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The wife brought a 32" LCD Toshiba yesterday in Best Buy in Thurrock for £179.99, offer until 3 May. Ideal for a second tv.
  • Options
    Can anyone help...i have just reserved a new TV - Sony V5810 LCD TV. Last years model so down from £1050 to £500 which sounds good to me...however I have not bought a TV for about 15 years so have no idea if this is a good buy or not - it is HD ready but I need to buy another box (was told about £50) to actually get HD....is this a good deal or a waste of money...I still have time to pull out!
  • Options
    We have a projector instead of a tv. It's an old model now - Optoma Themescreen 72 - but has serious benefits over LCD and Plasma. The screen size is basically whatever I want it to be. It can handle HD. I've had it 4 years and have got through 3 bulbs. Total cost so far £850 for projector and screen, £400 for bulbs. Watch tv through it as well as DVD movies etc.
  • Options
    Valleyman - If you watch sport on TV and can afford £50 then get the extra box as sport is just that bit clearer on HD, but even without HD the picture on these new TVs is very good anyway.
  • Options
    I saw a 3D tv yesterday, quite impressive. It actually makes 2D content look 3D so you don't have to rely on 3D content, but inwardly (a bit like looking out of a window) unlike the more conventional cinema style which looks like 3d outwardly (towards you), you still need the special glasses of course for all types of 3D which is uncomfortable for some, although apparently the inward 3d is less strenuous to watch - but don't quote me on that.

I was concerned as I am about to buy a new TV that I might be buying old tech, however I think its a bit of a gimmick personally, and I am pretty sure you could just get a set top box with 3D capability anyway.
  • Options
    Now that's one technology which will pass me by - 3D TV - I can only see out of my right eye!

On the Plasma/LCD debate, as someone said above, the major manufacturers are moving away from Plasma - the future is LCD/LED.
  • Options
    the future maybe led, but how long and how much, these things don't last too long anyway I would only buy for 5 years ahead maximum, on the other hand what do they give you mainly quality of viewing wise?

My view is that what something like LED really gives you mainly is space via a much thinner screen and not much else based on the content available which is going to be largely at best 35mm,

Therefore my choice of 42" plasma 1080p full hd is fine, and I am not too concerned about space, or 3D for that matter.

I also think plasma looks more natural than led/lcd side by side, and newer plasmas use less energy although admittedly not as good as lcds in that regard.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    For what its worth and trust me I am no expert in these matters, however I was in Richer Sounds In Maidstone the other day and whilst buying what I went in for the subject of a new TV came up, the guy quizzed me on what sort of programmes I watch i.e. sport, films etc and he said:

I should be looking at LCD/LED in anything up to 40" as plasma cannot compete in this size screen with LCD/LED, however anything over 40" should be a plasma.

Don't shoot me, I am only the messenger
  • Options
    I've heard similar - you don't get the benefits of plasma in smaller sets

There is a 'myth' tho that plasma are more expensive - I looked at a like for like features lcd vs plasma with the lcd being 32" and the plasma 42" and they wasn't much difference in price