Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

milllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllwaallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

edited April 2009 in General Charlton
looks likely Bermondseys finest will
Only make the play offs so an old rivalry
mightl be renewed.
Over the years we had some interesting games with them
the one that stands out for me was that
Game in the snow

Or the evening game at the Den , in the
Mid 8,0,s when we had a huge following over there and filled the whole Ilderton rd
End and some of the terrace

Comments

• Options
    My Aussie mates first introduction to English football. Particularly amusing as we were all jammed in that end when the doughnut decided he wanted to go for a p!ss.......he was gone for the rest of the half as mad Reggie Burr had jammed us so tight into the normal away section. When he eventrually found me again his face was ashen. Not only had it taken half an hour to get to what he described as "an open sewer mate!" but he also had to run the guantlet of the Millsmall yoof snarling at him through the fencing. Welcome to blighty old cobber !
  • Options
    First time I went to Millwall wasn't even to their Charlton fixture - I was just a kid, and in those days watched Bexley United when Charlton were away.

Dad had a free afternoon and said, "Fancy going to the Den to watch Aston Villa win?"

Millwall were ferocious at home in those days, big booted face-like-the-back-of-a-bus ugly dockers, equally ugly in mood - The Den was an intimidating place to watch and even for opposing teams to play. So Millwall rarely lost at home.

But they did that day, and as Norman Burtenshaw the ref blew the final whistle, the crowd leapt on to the pitch chased the ref, bundled him to the ground, and gave him one hell of a kicking.

Anyway, that was my first match at The Den when I was a kid.

Millwall were fined a paltry sum and had their ground closed for 6 weeks.
    But for years afterwards, whenever the ref gave a decision against them, the crowd got nasty and started screaming, "Burtenshaw, Burtenshaw..." - the clear implication that the match referee could get beaten up.

Away teams rarely got a decision go their way ...... and for years Millwall rarely lost a home match.
  • Options
    I never went to The Old Den, only the new one with the kids in pink shirts. My dad said there was an alley way to the away end and they used to throw glass bottles down it. I know football is run by money these days, but I'm glad I'm too young to have to have experienced that side of going to a game!
  • Options
    was to young to go to cold blow lane, remeber one sat on the 8th April it was my birthday and my dad got them to put my name up on there screen in the corner i was 13 or 14 i think, really needed a waz but my old man kept telling me to wait... was the grand national that day too, think we lost the game sure thatcher scored from 40 yards out or somthing, my old man had been to the old ground but not for 30 odd years he thought he still knew his way around the area we ended up getting lost and walking right through millwall land not nice had my coat done up to hide my shirt eventual found our way back to deptford high street had a wimpey and home by 7pm great day out.
  • Options
    "That Millwall remain the division's leaders after a run of three defeats and two draws says something about its standards."

Didn't Millwall manage to get themselves relegated that season, despite being top of the League just before Christmas .......?
  • Options
    Oh yes.
  • Options
    I remember a match at the Valley, we were going for relegation to Div 3 and and they were going for promotion to the top flight. 1st time in ages we had a 30,000 crowd, unfortunately we found out when they scored it was all millwall. They won 2-0 but failed to get promotion, I think it was the season we managed to get relegated, although I could be wrong ... was I scared ....yup
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]I remember a match at the Valley, we were going for relegation to Div 3 and and they were going for promotion to the top flight. 1st time in ages we had a 30,000 crowd, unfortunately we found out when they scored it was all millwall. They won 2-0 but failed to get promotion, I think it was the season we managed to get relegated, although I could be wrong ... was I scared ....yup

Can't remember us ever having 20,000 at home for Millwall since I started going in 72, let alone 30,000.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]"That Millwall remain the division's leaders after a run of three defeats and two draws says something about its standards."

Didn't Millwall manage to get themselves relegated that season, despite being top of the League just before Christmas .......?
    That line made me smile as well!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    All true Charlton fans know that Millwall are our Real Rivals anyone who thinks it's Palace is a Johnnycome lately :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]All true Charlton fans know that Millwall are our Real Rivals anyone who thinks it's Palace is a Johnnycome lately :-)

or isn't old ;0)
  • Options
    My first visit to the old Den was on Boxing Day in the late 70's (I think it was 77). I stood on the main terrace with the Cold Blow Lane end to my left. In those days not that many people wore the colours - a few scarves here and there maybe.

The game finished as a 1-1 draw with Charlton equalising near the end. My abiding memory was standing alongside fans and being unable to tell which team they supported. There was a group of blokes standing near us slagging off both teams in equal measure. I thought they were probably Charlton fans but not when Millwall scored and they were leaping around.

There wasn't much trouble in the ground except when fighting broke out between Millwall fans in the Cold Blow Lane end. There were a few scuffles outside but nothing major.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]All true Charlton fans know that Millwall are our Real Rivals anyone who thinks it's Palace is a Johnnycome lately :-)
    Too true!
  • Options
    there gona tear the valley apart if they dont go up and play us next term.
  • Options
    The one that always sticks in my mind is an evening game at the Den some time in the late 80s I think. We were 1-0 with 5 mins to go, 2-0 up with 4 mins to go, 2-1 up with 2 mins to go (and all the Millwall fans that had started streaming out of the ground at 2-0 came charging back in) and they equalised in the final minute after Morts had been pissing about trying to time waste by the corner flag down the other end and lost the ball. This is why a) I never leave early and b) I'm not exactly slitting my wrists at our tendency to snatch a draw from the jaws of victory his season, as it's hardly something new for us.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: aliwibble[/cite]The one that always sticks in my mind is an evening game at the Den some time in the late 80s I think. We were 1-0 with 5 mins to go, 2-0 up with 4 mins to go, 2-1 up with 2 mins to go (and all the Millwall fans that had started streaming out of the ground at 2-0 came charging back in) and they equalised in the final minute after Morts had been pissing about trying to time waste by the corner flag down the other end and lost the ball. This is why a) I never leave early and b) I'm not exactly slitting my wrists at our tendency to snatch a draw from the jaws of victory his season, as it's hardly something new for us.

For some reason I was in the Millwall bit on the Half way line for that game. Gutting and it was so obvious that we weren't Millwall. Got a few funny looks but nothing more.

John Hendry at Upton Park. Great goal and first time I had seen us beat them for decades (didn't go to the game in 78 when we won 2 - 0).

But Morts Game in the Snow will always be the one. We could beat them 10 nil next year and that game will still beat it.

Millwall are our rivals. I hope they stay down as being in a division below them, even if for the first time in 35 years, will be hard.
  • Options
    My recollection is that we always used to struggle against Millwall. I have a sneaking suspicion they might just win the playoffs.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]My first visit to the old Den was on Boxing Day in the late 70's (I think it was 77). I stood on the main terrace with the Cold Blow Lane end to my left. In those days not that many people wore the colours - a few scarves here and there maybe.

The game finished as a 1-1 draw with Charlton equalising near the end. My abiding memory was standing alongside fans and being unable to tell which team they supported. There was a group of blokes standing near us slagging off both teams in equal measure. I thought they were probably Charlton fans but not when Millwall scored and they were leaping around.

There wasn't much trouble in the ground except when fighting broke out between Millwall fans in the Cold Blow Lane end. There were a few scuffles outside but nothing major.

Yep, Tony Burman in the 90th minute. I was with my Dad in the seats (it was safer according to him). On the way out of the ground, my dad whilst holding my hand (I was 10) got kicked and spat at by two Millwall lads.
    [cite]Posted By: aliwibble[/cite]The one that always sticks in my mind is an evening game at the Den some time in the late 80s I think. We were 1-0 with 5 mins to go, 2-0 up with 4 mins to go, 2-1 up with 2 mins to go (and all the Millwall fans that had started streaming out of the ground at 2-0 came charging back in) and they equalised in the final minute after Morts had been pissing about trying to time waste by the corner flag down the other end and lost the ball. This is why a) I never leave early and b) I'm not exactly slitting my wrists at our tendency to snatch a draw from the jaws of victory his season, as it's hardly something new for us.

In the away end, my mate left early - he lived in Birmingham at the time - and it was 2-0. After the game at 2-2 I came out with my brother and to this day I don't think I have ever been so shocked or down. And then we couldn't remember where we parked the car.
  • Options
    I used to go down The Den, old that is, with a mate for some non-Charlton Millwall games, for a laugh of course. Unfortunately he died from leukeamia aged about 30, still sorely missed. I watched a number of Millwall v Charlton games from the Millwall terraces and if we scored there were always a few smiling faces around !! Never forget a night I was there for a cup game v Pompey, unreal it was. No way do I want them to go up, let THE rivalry resume. Palace, Palace who the feck are Palace ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2009
    [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]there gona tear the valley apart if they dont go up and play us next term.

I guess it'll be a BIG game for them , the old faces have a habit of turning out for big games and the band waggon will be rolling for A visit to The Valley.
  • Options

Yes and No , to that. I've been a regular since 66 and would see Palarse as a team I have always disliked much more than Millwall. I , like a few others on here, did go down to The Den at times when Charlton were away back in the 60's and 70's , because your school mates were Millwall fans, for that matter I used to take the ferry over to West Ham
    on occasions too. I can remember some good games at The Den when they had the likes of Cripps, Julians and later Possee, Weller and Bridges.
    under the best Manager Charlton never had in Benny Fenton.

For me Palarse became a our real rivals through beating us to promotion in 68/69 and that Knut Allison in his Fedora
    with his ' team of the 80's' giving it large to the Fans.Not of course forgeting playing at Sellout and
    all that went with it. Plus they were a Surrey Team not a true S E London team at all.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    palace doesn't even come close. these are proper pond life. they have lived in our shadows forever now and they just crave notoriety,but no one really gives a shit anymore. there is no club in england with a higher proportion of bellends. and when we play them,we'll pick up where we left off many moons ago taking all the points and the piss out of them.such a shame we had to get back down to their natural level to play them.
  • Options
    Used to go to all the Wall v Addicks games at the old Den but rarely went in the away end because the view was so bad. We nearly always lost. When the crowd turns on the players they do it with gusto and I always joined in: "You're useless Possee!" etc.
    Morts in the snow was fantastic especially when Rhino got sent off. I was in our end that night and it has to be in my top 5 games ever.
    I think they will blow it this year. Hope so.
  • Options

Remember it well, it was 89 and all the Charlton fans from the London Rockabilly scene went down together, there were six or seven of us all quiffed up and leather jacketed - got some funny looks from the Millwall fans but no one said a dicky bird. Sick as the proverbial at the end, but not as sick as 94 when Rae scored a last minute winner at the New Dump.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Nelsenout[/cite]

Yes and No , to that. I've been a regular since 66 and would see Palarse as a team I have always disliked much more than Millwall. I , like a few others on here, did go down to The Den at times when Charlton were away back in the 60's and 70's , because your school mates were Millwall fans, for that matter I used to take the ferry over to West Ham
    on occasions too. I can remember some good games at The Den when they had the likes of Cripps, Julians and later Possee, Weller and Bridges.

For me Palarse became a our real rivals through beating us to promotion in 68/69 and that Knut Allison in his Fedora
    with his ' team of the 80's' giving it large to the Fans.Not of course forgeting playing at Sellout and
    all that went with it. Plus they were a Surrey Team not a true S E London team at all.

Similar story here, went to Millwall a few times when I was young because I had no money to follow Charlton away in those days and remember one incredible weekday night when they played ManU and most of London turned out including a large contingent from the Covered End - however the fact is I cannot stand Palaaarse for so many reasons, but when it comes to rivals there is no doubt it is Millwall, and a lot of our younger fans will possibly get their first taste of that next season.
  • Options
    Yup....they are of course our 'true' rivals going way way back.
    Palarse are simply gobby pretenders.
    Now The Wall....that's another thing altogether,as you youngsters are possibly about to find out!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Nelsenout[/cite]

With you all the way, Nelse.
    I have an intense hatred of Palace for all he reasons you state.
    Maybe playing Millwall again will remind me that I hate them too

Saying that the atmosphere at some of the Millwall games has been cracking.
    Always found the old Den an intimidating place. There were always pockets of likely looking herberts on every street corner between New Cross station and the ground.
    Remember that "Tony Burman" game well, as for some reason I was slap bang in the middle of the Millwall end, not wearing colours obviously and trying to shrink into the ground as they sang "What shall we do with the Charlton bastards, what shall we do with Charlton bastards, what shall we do with the Charlton bastards, stab them in the gasket".
    Remember that 70's game at the Valley against I think Sunderland, when a dozen 'Wall came chanting up the steps into the Covered end, scattering our lot to the 4 corners, much to the amusement of the Sundy fans.
    I'm sure the older 'Wall fans still see us as a bunch of trainspotting wimps.
  • Options
    A couple I remember was loosing 3-2 at the Den in 68/69 with Paul Went playing Centre Forward and us being 2-0 up.

Another one that springs to mind is a 1-1 draw just after we sold Hales to Derby and Dick Tydeman made his debut.

The walk back to New Cross was always iffy especially through the long Tunnel behind Cold Blow Lane.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]I remember a match at the Valley, we were going for relegation to Div 3 and and they were going for promotion to the top flight. 1st time in ages we had a 30,000 crowd, unfortunately we found out when they scored it was all millwall. They won 2-0 but failed to get promotion, I think it was the season we managed to get relegated, although I could be wrong ... was I scared ....yup

I recall that , they (MFC) ultimately lost out to Birmingham , Birmingham played at Orient to win promotion and there were a huge MFC turnout at the
    O's Brum game.