Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

When will Parky go

edited April 2009 in General Charlton
Assuming Parkie goes,will it be announced straight after Norwich,or will he be kept until a new manager is found

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]Assuming Parkie goes,will it be announced straight after Norwich,or will he be kept until a new manager is found

He will go as manager straight after the Norwich match.

Unless there are still details to work out in a separation agreement. One would think that would have already been taken care of by then, but we can't assume anything with Charlton these days.
  • Options
    I'm not sure he will. If he does, it'll be Monday or Tuesday after the Norwich game I'd imagine.
  • Options
    Can't see how he doesn't go : finally judged on his results, as Derek C promised back in December.

He tried - and although most of us never wanted him in the first place, we tried to support him. But he simply doesn't know how to win and tactically he seems clueless. Worse than Pardew - 3 wins in 27 against AP's 4 in 18. In fact, probably the worst manager in the club's history. It looks like we'll be relegated by the huge margin of 13+ points, so how can he possibly stay?

We need to be starting life in div three with a new board, a new manager and a new spirit.
  • Options
    Amen to that Nigel W. The thing is - even if Parky is an adequate third-tier manager, the team now needs rebuilding yet again and that may take some patience and time. Parky has used up all his allowance of both this season. The nightmare scenario is he gets to shuffle what few cards we have, we stutter over the first ten games, he gets the bullet and the new man comes in with no cards to play. The Board, whoever they are next season, can't risk that.
  • Options
    He wil be still here next season.

he is on record saying that they are already talking to players agents etc etc...........if he was off then no board would saction new players coming in before a new manager does, that would be absurd.
  • Options
    No, our board would NEVER do anything absurd..........
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: American_Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]Assuming Parkie goes,will it be announced straight after Norwich,or will he be kept until a new manager is found

He will go as manager straight after the Norwich match.

I hate unsubstantiated assertions. Elaborate.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    maybe they'll announce that parky is leaving on the pitch before the game, like we did with curbs...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BBClaus[/cite]maybe they'll announce that parky is leaving on the pitch before the game, like we did with curbs...

"Thanks Parky" placards at the ready then.
  • Options
    They need to get rid of this joker NOW.

Enoughs enough. We are a shambles.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]They need to get rid of this joker NOW.

Enoughs enough. We are a shambles.

Pardew and Dowie were the jokers, Parkinson like Les Reed is an honest professional who is just not good enough. Like Reed he should go,but like Reed sgould not be abused, its not his fault that the Directors asked him to do the job and failed to keep to the original criteria for his permanent appointment.
  • Options
    Spot on Kap10. I'm getting really fed up with all the abuse directed at Parky. He's a decent, hard working man doing his best in a totally impossible situation. He doesn't deserve all this criticism from people whose only qualifications seem to be that they once won a game playing Championship Manager. Thanks Parky & good luck for your future, wherever it may be.
  • Options
    what "abuse"?

I can't see any on here.
  • Options
    fans have been critical since late Curbs;
    Times because of the style and the
    Lack of entertainment
    The very first time the crowd booed
    Was against Walsall at home in
    The FA Cup its been happening a long time now
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]He wil be still here next season.

he is on record saying that they are already talking to players agents etc etc...........if he was off then no board would saction new players coming in before a new manager does, that would be absurd.

Golfy's right (again)

It all sounds to me like he's staying. Fine by me because I think another change of manager is the last thing we need.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]
    It all sounds to me like he's staying. Fine by me because I think another change of manager is the last thing we need.

I know what you're trying to say and even a couple of months ago I was 50/50 whether we should put some stability back in place or get rid but despite us getting harder to beat recently we've not exactly gone down with a fight have we? He's defo lost the support of the crowd, possibly the dressing room and I doubt the board have any confidence in him anymore and if they do stick with him it'll be for one reason only, becuase we can't afford to get rid. Not because we need stability. After the worst season for decades I can't see him being allowed much time next season to rebuild so the stability argument goes out the window anyway. Unless we're top 2-3 from the start, and I just can't see it under him.
  • Options
    I'd announce it early next week.

Hopefully though the board have already cast around for a replacement and can appoint him also early next week and he'll then have three months to shuffle a few players out and get a few new faces in.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]I'd announce it early next week.

Hopefully though the board have already cast around for a replacement

What replacement, BFR? Who?
    I can't see anyone out there but a bunch of losers.

Fair enough Parky's record doesn't bear scrutiny and on that basis he probably has to go.
    But maybe the board recognise that things are improving and that given a chance to shape the squad this summer he is the best option out there.

If the board make the bold decision to dump him there are no guarantees that the replacement will turn things around.
  • Options
    If he is going then the boardmust announce next week, if he is staying then I wonder if they will delay an announcement to try and guage the situatation
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Six-a-bag-of-nuts[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]I'd announce it early next week.

Hopefully though the board have already cast around for a replacement

What replacement, BFR? Who?
    I can't see anyone out there but a bunch of losers.

Fair enough Parky's record doesn't bear scrutiny and on that basis he probably has to go.
    But maybe the board recognise that things are improving and that given a chance to shape the squad this summer he is the best option out there.

If the board make the bold decision to dump him there are no guarantees that the replacement will turn things around.

Reinforcing failure for fear of further failure is not a smart move. Parkinson seems a decent bloke and has tried his best but he's had long enough to turn things around but it hasn't worked and it's clear that he's lost the changing room. When we win the victories seem to be hard fought joyless affairs, defeats are too frequent and there have been several times when we've had and squandered leads. Right now we are a soft touch - apply a bit of pressure and we conceded goals, not just fortuitous goals but goals through defensive mistakes. I don't see that changing room attitude being any better next year when we'll have a much smaller squad and one probably shorn of players like Nicky Bailey and Racon who have been some of the better players this year.

As to who replaces him, that is down to the board to decide, but there are plenty of candidates out there who must view Charlton as an opportunity. Our board have proven that they'll be loyal to a manager and give them a chance. There must be a player just out of the game who has the badges and is looking for a suitable club to build his reputation at. If the board have learnt one thing then I hope it is to be proactive for once and not to react to situations.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The gossip and tittle-tattle in today's papers suggest that Mark Hughes and Mark Bowen may be kicked out of Manchester City, to make way for Roberto Mancini (formerly the Inter boss). My goodness me... We may not be able to afford it and anything that happens may be deep into the close season, but given that they were both prepared to take on Blackburn Rovers in the Championship, my fantasy would be that we could get them at Charlton. Given that Roy Keane, with all of his glam background and existence at the highest levels, is prepared to take up the helm at Ipswich, then perhaps my fantasy is not as ridiculous as it seems to me while I type this...
  • Options
    Ipswich were able to offer Roy Keane not just a decent salary but a substantial transfer budget, without which I doubt that he'd risk his reputation. Our problem is that we'll have a transfer budget of just about zero and any money going out will depend on selling players.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: seth plum[/cite]The gossip and tittle-tattle in today's papers suggest that Mark Hughes and Mark Bowen may be kicked out of Manchester City, to make way for Roberto Mancini (formerly the Inter boss). My goodness me... We may not be able to afford it and anything that happens may be deep into the close season, but given that they were both prepared to take on Blackburn Rovers in the Championship, my fantasy would be that we could get them at Charlton. Given that Roy Keane, with all of his glam background and existence at the highest levels, is prepared to take up the helm at Ipswich, then perhaps my fantasy is not as ridiculous as it seems to me while I type this...

He's never managed in the Championship, he took control of them while they were in the Prem.

No chance of Mark Hughes. Unlikely I'd say, but maybe Mark Bowen if he wants to have a go at management himself?
  • Options
    you're right, it was Souness manager when we became champions at ewood park
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]I. Our board have proven that they'll be loyal to a manager and give them a chance. .

Then stick with Parky and prove it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]I. Our board have proven that they'll be loyal to a manager and give them a chance. .

Then stick with Parky and prove it.

They have done - since mid November, it didn't work out.
  • Options
    [Then stick with Parky and prove it.[/quote]

Stick with Parky = 2-3k less season tickets sold and another long season of struggle next year.

Have held a season ticket for 20 years and am 50/50 to renew at the moment. If he goes my chq will definitely be in the post.
  • Options
    You don't know if we'll have anymore of a 'long season of struggle' with Parky than with some other bloke. Personally I think not.

'since mid-november' is not sticking with your manager. That's only 6 months. Let him actually start a season at the helm.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]You don't know if we'll have anymore of a 'long season of struggle' with Parky than with some other bloke. Personally I think not.

'since mid-november' is not sticking with your manager. That's only 6 months. Let him actually start a season at the helm.

And then what? If by November he still hasn't got the necessary results we'll be looking at having to get a new manager in and most likely a further season in League One, plus there'll be fewer fans around. Now is the best time to get a new manager in - to revitalise the club and get a new squad together, someone hopefully who'll take the collection of youth team players and the odd experienced pro and meld them into a team.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]You don't know if we'll have anymore of a 'long season of struggle' with Parky than with some other bloke. Personally I think not.

Exactly. A lot of people seem to assume a new manager will get more out of what we have.

It's all about re-building the squad now, something that wasn't going to happen in January and wouldn't have been possible either. Very different situation.