Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

When will Parky go

Comments

• Options
    My perspective is that it really can hardly be worse. Keep parkinson if you like, but don't let him near the team. if you want to continue as we have been doing there are imaginative ways of selecting the team, from on-line ballots, to lucky programme numbers, to player votes, to dare i say it, a goat dumping in numbered squares in a field. Before anybody pooh poohs the idea (sorry) would any of the aforementioned ideas get WORSE results than Parky? At least there would be some kind of entertainment value, and if you think we would become a laughing stock then....oops...we already are a laughing stock.
    By the way if you think the goat idea is stupid check this out: http://www.suntimes.com/business/roeder/208997,CST-FIN-curious14.article

4 years running... awesome...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Les Addicks[/cite]Christ if we couldn't entice Howe away from Bournemouth we are far worse of than I thought. Of course he'd comeifthat's who the Board fancied.

Probably, but can we afford him? Easy to say 'it'll cost us more if we don't get promoted', but the money has to come from somewhere.

Anyway couldn't Howe be another Parkinson? A good start to his managerial career, but struggle once he moves to a bigger club?

Most of the suggestions are young managers that have had a good season or two, but they're talked about as if they're proven managers with plenty of experience. Parkinson has as much chance as they do at doing well or struggling with us.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]Well at least we should win something this season - the prize for the most loyal fans in the country. The worst manager in the club's history who simply doesn't know how to win, and there are still people arguing that he should stay and his record of 3 wins in 27 isn't actually his fault!

Deep respect to Parky's faithful posse. I'd definitely want your steadfast qualities in the lifeboat when the ship goes down. Whether I'd want you chosing a manager to get my football team out of div three is quite another matter entirely , though...

LOL
    It's a fair cop Nigel.

But, like Scoham I just don't see anybody out there who I would want and/or who would come.
    It's depressing.
    Maybe a takeover will solve everything!!!!!
  • Options
    what about Lutons Mick Harford
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Six-a-bag-of-nuts[/cite]But, like Scoham I just don't see anybody out there who I would want and/or who would come.
    It's depressing.
    Maybe a takeover will solve everything!!!!!

Yeah I'm not against a new manager coming in, just not sure we can get someone that is certain to improve the team.
  • Options
    I think one thing that this and other threads demonstrate is that it isnt easy choosing the right manager.

There is absolutely no concensus about whether he should stay or go or who should replace him if that was the decision.
  • Options
    In answer to the original question,

sooner than some people think.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]In answer to the original question,

Why wasn't it a few games ago then?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]In answer to the original question,

gawd I so hope you are right AFKA.

In response to a few points : I don't think the fact that he is scouting players and actually talking to agents means anything. He is going to do that just in case he does get the gig. Talking to an agent doesn't mean you are gooing to sign the player. I wonder whether jimmymelrose would have the same opinion if he had actually had to sit and watch our performances this season, week in week out. Keeping continuity isn't an arguement for keeping Parky. I really have to disagree on this he didn't have anything to work with, his hands were tied etc load of old cobblers. He signed Kandol on loan, Forest signed Dexter Blackstock on loan, Blackpool signed DJ Campbell on loan. Both better than Kandol. Why sign Spring and Burton, one was totally unneccessary the other crap. Rodgers and Davies went into Watford and Forest respectively and got them performing and have saved their sorry asses. They didn't sign nowhere near half the amount of loanees Parky was allowed to. He has had enough time to show an improvement, and although there has been one, it is nowhere near as good as one as some would have you beleive and in truth we have gone from being absolute shite to just being shite. If you are happy with that then keep Parky. I'm not happy with that and he has to go. Keeping him would be a disaster. People are not going to renew BECAUSE he is in charge. 3 wins in 27 is hardly the stuff to encourage you to renew. The make-up of the team is going to change drastically over the next couple of months and a new man should oversee that. If Parky remains in charge he is under pressure from the off in August and a couple of bad results at the start and fans will be calling for his head. If after ten games he is bounced a new man would then be left with a squad he cannnot mould as his own until at least Jan, if not the summer after, and we have wasted a season. If Parky stays I face the close season with dread and would not be looking forward to the new season one iota. Parky goes, a new man is appointed, and hope and optimism returns.
  • Options
    Parky = The modern day Ken Craggs
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Nug[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Nug[/cite]I honestly can't decide if he should stay or go, I really see both sides of the argument. But the one that makes my mind up is a purely financial one. I think a new manager being announced will increase season ticket sales. I really think many will give it a miss next year if he's in charge rightly or wrongly..

Would the increased sales outweigh paying him off?
    Is it really true that so many more people will re-new?
    Just who the f*** is this other manager who's going to be so great?

Does he need paying off? Can't imagine his salary is excessive. As for other managers, there are people out there who would love to give it a go I'm sure, and I do personally believe him going would make a difference to season ticket sales, he seems like a decent bloke but there is a losing mentality about or club at the moment and a real negative culture.

Parky is on 150k per year, with one season left. He can be put on extended gardening leave at that rate, if necessary.

Why anyone would want to bring back a manager with 3 wins in 27 matches is amazing to me.
    Consistency? Continuity?
    Who wants to continue that level of failure?

You hold a winning hand; change a losing hand.

Parky, decent fellow he is reported to be, needs to go. And he will be gone.
  • Options
    I have not re-newed for myself and my son, and why should I pay for us to be made thoroughly miserable every match next season under the present regime?
  • Options
    Parky seems likabel, the vast majority of fans desperately wanted him to do well, he didn't come out with the mangled torturous post match comments and the team almost appeared to be playing better, possibly bad luck that on other days would have yielded better results. However, he didn't win any games during his care taker period and results since then, have confirmed our relegation, with the worst results of ANY manager in employment.

I hope the board are actively scouring the market for possible candidates and drawing up a short list for interview.

A few names, none of them ideal, but all of them capable of far more include

Lennie Lawrence, Steve Cotteril, Eddie Howe from Bournmoputh, Rob Lee, Bowen, Ling, Tilson?

Not sure about their availability or there interest in a position, but atleast try and get them in for an interview, if interested.

The rebuilding needs to start sooner, rather than later.
  • Options
    If we sign a manager who is under contract elsewhere we may find ourselves paying compensation as well as having to pay off Parky, that limits the choice to those out of work or nearing the end of their current contracts.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: c4fcdenmark[/cite]
    A few names, none of them ideal, but all of them capable of far more include

Lennie Lawrence, Steve Cotteril, Eddie Howe from Bournmoputh, Rob Lee, Bowen, Ling, Tilson?

Not sure about their availability or there interest in a position, but atleast try and get them in for an interview, if interested.

We don't know that they are capable of achieving far more than Parkinson would be if he was given the chance to re-build. Rob Lee has no experience, Bowen has no experience, Ling is a gamble that could come off but his CV reminds me of Parky's before he left for hull, and eddie howe will stay at bournemouth and build up his experience in an environment with less pressure if he has any sense. As for steve cotteril he nearly became manage of Minnesota Thunder last year. Of that lot, tilson looks the best bet to me, but he doesn't fill me with confidence.

I don't really want parkinson to stay, but i don't accept that there is a huge queue of talented managers who want to come to the club. then add in what bfr says about compensation and getting rid of him is not a decision for the board to take lightly.
  • Options
    Fair comments, bbclaus. These were names off the top of my head and my point was that the club needs to, at least, explore the possibility of fresh blood, rather than stick with the devil it knows.

There is a manager somewhere who is available and will do a better job than parky, of that I am convinced.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    What BBClaus said. There's no way anyone can say ex-players and inexperienced managers will definitely do a better job than Parkinson. In fact there were probably struggling Championship clubs this time 3 years ago with fans saying Phil Parkinson at Colchester has done a good job, he'll do better than our current manager.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: c4fcdenmark[/cite]Fair comments, bbclaus. These were names off the top of my head and my point was that the club needs to, at least, explore the possibility of fresh blood, rather than stick with the devil it knows.

There is a manager somewhere who is available and will do a better job than parky, of that I am convinced.

That's the problem the board have. The obvious names are the inexperienced managers that might make good managers one day (just like Parkinson was seen as one 3 years ago), and ex-players that might want their first management job. The rest are older managers like Lennie Lawrence who might not even want the job.
  • Options
    Time for the board to outsource all decison making.....

"probaly got help from their mum's, who got help form their mums..... there aint 'alf been some clever b'stards"
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: c4fcdenmark[/cite]Fair comments, bbclaus. These were names off the top of my head and my point was that the club needs to, at least, explore the possibility of fresh blood, rather than stick with the devil it knows.

That's the problem the board have. The obvious names are the inexperienced managers that might make good managers one day (just like Parkinson was seen as one 3 years ago), and ex-players that might want their first management job. The rest are older managers like Lennie Lawrence who might not even want the job.

They should at least be sounding out people like Lennie Lawrence, you neve know, he might be interested?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Probably yeah. I can imagine they'd prefer someone for the long term, but maybe we would be better with an older manager to get us back up and keep us there, just stabilise the club for a few seasons.

Since replacing Curbishley I get the feeling the board have always tried to replace him with someone they can see still being here in 5 years time.
  • Options
    No matter who gets it (if it becomes available) it's hard to see anyone doing as bad as Parkinson. Not sure how Robert 'Rob' Lee started getting mentioned, always knew him as Robert Lee until he had a makeover at Newcastle!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]He has had enough time to show an improvement, and although there has been one, it is nowhere near as good as one as some would have you beleive and in truth we have gone from being absolute shite to just being shite. If you are happy with that then keep Parky. I'm not happy with that and he has to go. Keeping him would be a disaster. People are not going to renew BECAUSE he is in charge.

And so now we've gone from shite to good. I was happy with that. Large is happy now too. He is not a disaster. People did renew.

Big brother = wrong
    Little brother = right

lol
  • Options
    It willbe interesting to see how people react to our 1st dropped points at home and our 1st league defeat.
  • Options
    What is a fact is that this is the BEST start to a season in the clubs history and people need to keep this in mind when we do eventually drop some points.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Sideways[/cite]What is a fact is that this is the BEST start to a season in the clubs history and people need to keep this in mind when we do eventually drop some points.

No chance.

Ps is that correct about best start? What and when was the previous?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Sideways[/cite]What is a fact is that this is the BEST start to a season in the clubs history and people need to keep this in mind when we do eventually drop some points.

No chance.

Ps is that correct about best start? What and when was the previous?

mentioned on the O/S the other day, currently equal best start with two other seasons, both quite recent. Win Saturday and it will be the best start EVER.
  • Options
    From the OS for Henry :

Despite the current situation, the top-of-the-table Addicks have started the 2009/10 season in fine fashion - to the extent that another win against Tranmere Rovers on Saturday would make it five victories in five league games.

That would mean Parkinson had led Charlton to the club's best start to a campaign in its entire history.

Prenton Park beckons this weekend, as does a place in the Addicks annals.

On two occasions, the 1992/93 and 2005/06 campaigns, Charlton have started the season with four league wins in a row, a feat that the Addicks have echoed this term with triumphs against Wycombe Wanderers, Hartlepool United, Leyton Orient and Walsall.

A win against Tranmere would not only broke that record, but would also give Charlton three away league victories in a row for the first time since November 2007.
  • Options
    We're going to lose/draw then : - )

Thanks Large.

actually I think we will win but Leeds will also win and by a better score so usurping our place at the top.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]We're going to lose/draw then : - )

Thanks Large.

actually I think we will win but Leeds will also win and by a better score so usurping our place at the top.[/quote]

Close