Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

season ticket desertion

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]especially as Clubs like Norwich are quoting 17,000 up take already,

Also it helps Norwich that there is no other club near by, so when you consider the size of the area, 17k isn't actually that good.

There are 800K people in Norfolk how many in Kent and SE London? This argument does not hold water. They have sold over 18,500 S/Ts now - the rest will sell when they go on general release. 10 years ago they only had 6,000
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CHG[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]especially as Clubs like Norwich are quoting 17,000 up take already,

Also it helps Norwich that there is no other club near by, so when you consider the size of the area, 17k isn't actually that good.

I agree with this, and have you ever been to Norwich, not much more to do pal.

Again couldn't be more wrong. I used to live in Catford now near Norwich on the Norfolk Broads, 15 miles from the coast. Tenth busiest shopping centre in the country.
  • Options
    The recession is obviously effecting many people and I have every sympathy.

However, I bet if we'd finished top half Prem League this season (obviously not possible), we'd have about 18,000 S/T applications.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    yes shame onme 4 not having a seasn ticket next year----- shame on me for being at The Valley(and other places) for 40+ years--- shame on me for buying shares(twice), shame onme for not missing a home match for 12 seasons on the trot in the 70z etc etc etc

sorry Somerton butyou can f**k off
  • Options
    All those renewing for next season could become members of some kind of priority club for say the next 5 seasons. They could be ahead of anyone else for away tickets, have first call in picking/choosing seats in future seasons if they wish to change where they sit & could recieve discounts for ST's if we get back into the Championship & then the Premiership. In addition a discount on merchandise, the matchday programme etc would be an incentive.

Basically what I am saying is that a reward for their faith & loyalty may swing the hesitant or undecided in favour of buying a ST for 09/10........
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: somerton[/cite] I say shame on you.

And I say Ballcocks to you.

I've had a Season Ticket for 20 years.

I am lucky enough to be in a position where I can renew without any financial worries. Whether I will not is still in the balance.

For many years I was one of those people that lived it completely. Then I got married and had a daughter, at the same time my relationship with all things Charlton changed. Missing games was no longer a hardship.

Quite frankly, I have hated 90% of the time I have spent watching Charlton in the last two seasons. I have spent most of the home games in the 7-8 months surpressing my desire to a) walk out b) slag players off....

If I choose not to spend £300.00 of my hard earned wages on a season ticket who are you to judge that? Why should I weigh out for something that has quite frankly become a chore?.

Give me some new direction and you might see some enthusiasm and there is a real possibilty you will also see a debit for £300.00 on my next bank statment.

No changes and no amount of emotional blackmail crap from the current manager will see me handing over a penny.
  • Options
    I would like to re-new as I have done each and every season for the past 38 years, however the overwhelming feeling that my money will be wasted is stopping me. I want to know where my money goes, to that end I emailed Steve Waggott, and had no reply....perhaps he knows an embarassing truth he doesn't want to reveal.
  • Options
    Off to uni in Leeds, seems a bit pointless really when I can only go to the games up north and a few home games when I am back home.
  • Options
    Yes my rant aimed at those fans who say they will not renew if Parkinson stays, or they have not enjoyed the football this season and the real one that takes the mic they say that can not justify a season ticket for div 3 football but they would for prem. if you can not justify £400 which is the price i pay or less for div 3 then you can not justify it for prem either.
    i just look at the massive support that Derby, Norwich and leicester for example get and the pathetic home crowds we will get next year, and i guess that the cities that these teams come from have higher unemployment and much low wages than us and they back their teams through thick and thin.
  • Options
    SE7SE7
    edited April 2009
    [cite]Posted By: somerton[/cite]Yes my rant aimed at those fans who say they will not renew if Parkinson stays, or they have not enjoyed the football this season and the real one that takes the mic they say that can not justify a season ticket for div 3 football but they would for prem. if you can not justify £400 which is the price i pay or less for div 3 then you can not justify it for prem either.
    i just look at the massive support that Derby, Norwich and leicester for example get and the pathetic home crowds we will get next year, and i guess that the cities that these teams come from have higher unemployment and much low wages than us and they back their teams through thick and thin.

So true, if I don't get accepted in August I will renew no doubt, and lets face it I'd rather have 10,000 fans who turn up each week and get behind the boys than 20,000 boo boys. Personally I'm already looking forward to next season, and certainly who we can hold onto and who'll be brought in.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2009
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA[/cite]

if you're not enjoying it then you shouldn't feel forced to pay for something you don't enjoy.

Whew no need to get the back sack and crack done for the mrs then!
  • Options
    The reasons for not renewing need to be understood. They coula be all/any of the following.

1) No free season ticket upon promotion, promising this a third season in a row may be a little hollow.
    2) We are now playing tier 3 where the quality of football is way below the championship, like the championship is below the premiership.
    3) Parky is in charge and people fear yet more dissapointment and uninspirinbg performances.
    4) People fear that the board will sell many of our better players eh Shelævey, Nick Bailey, Therry Racon?

The first two reasons are perhaps natural and largely unavoidable, we are stuck in league one for next season and fans would probably not expect immediate promotion after two failed attempts, the latter ending in a relegation.

However, an indication by the board on Parky's future, preferably his dismissal, may entice a few more to renew. A statement of intent on holding on to our best players will also give hope.
  • Options
    Some may feel the general mismangement and poor decision making leaves them with little choice but to register a protest by voting with their feet The OP is completely out of order.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]Some may feel the general mismangement and poor decision making leaves them with little choice but to register a protest by voting with their feet The OP is completely out of order.

The OP?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: c4fcdenmark[/cite]

The OP?

Old poof?
  • Options
    'opeless parky?

Someone has started a trouble shooting thread asking just that, all will be clear shortly...
  • Options
    OP I think means opening post.

Posted By: somerton: i just look at the massive support that Derby, Norwich and leicester for example get and the pathetic home crowds we will get next year, and i guess that the cities that these teams come from have higher unemployment and much low wages than us and they back their teams through thick and thin.

You really are up your own backside, these clubs have the monopoly on there local area so even in time of economic hardship they have fans who can take up the slack . They have more fans due to lack of alternative.

So we as a club will be hit harder by people being out of work as there is no depth to our support, and I hate to say it but all of those clubs have won more then us in the last 50 years and winning trophies is a big thing in attracting a bigger fan base.

It pains me to say it but we are a smaller club then all three of them we won't have so many hardcore fans.
  • Options
    There's a lot of this childish holier-than-thou stuff in football. People thinking they are better because they have a more expensive ticket, or have been going longer, or see more away games, or always have the latest replica shirt or whatever other old nonesense there is. Frankly, it's all a load of rubbish and I would think a barrier in getting some new people to come along. You don't get this elitist nosese if you want to go the the pictures or the pub, why should people who only want to go to footie occasionally be considered as less worthy than the regulars? Football should be fun, if people aren't enjoying it or can't afford to do it they are perfectly free to spend their money any other way they like. It doesn't make them any less of a person. Sure, it would be nice if the club could rely on having more season ticket holders - it would also be nice having a bigger pool of occasional supporters too. Nonsense like this will only serve to push those people further away though. This whole issue around the desperation for everyone to be ST holders says far more about the finances of football, where spending on players wages has been linked to maximum potential turnover (and beyond) rather than likely turnover, and about the mindset of a handful of supporters who have no other interests, than it ever says about "fair weather fans".
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Kap:
    I think the points about investment in the team relating to the sale of ST's is relevqant, but using emotive languge like betrayal and tarring everybody with the same brush undermines the point that is being made.

That's what i meant really because as you say, behind the emotive language there are reasonable points. i was just trying to suggest steering the discussion towards the relevant issues because obviously the idea that if you can't afford a season ticket you're betraying the club is ridiculous.
  • Options
    It's peaks and troughs. Once Charlton were back at the Valley interest in them slowly grew, then the ground improved and the crowd grew more. By the late 90's after a few high profile cup games at The Valley - Newcastle in the FA and Liverpool in the League Cup numbers went up each year. Then of course was brief flirtation with the Prem and it became harder to get a ticket.
    A winning campaign in the 2nd tier led to Season Tickets back in the Prem being sold out. The capicty grew and by the mid 2000's there were regular crowds of 27k+.
    Many Prem fans stuck with one season in the 2nd division on the basis that they'd get a freebie back in their beloved Prem. Few fell for that one the next year.
    This season the football from CAFC has at best been shit and anyone who is not a die hard fan just cannot be arsed committing themselves to 3 or 4 hundred quid. They know they can a ticket anywhere, anytime for any match next year. If you have forked out a lot of dosh you feel as if you have to go or it is a waste of your money.
    It's quite simple, Charlton just do not have a very big fan base, real fans that is. This fact has been hidden by the above events over the last 15 or so years.
    If things improve on the pitch, as they probably will one day, then we may well start the whole cycle again.
    I'll be re-newing as I like to know where I am sitting, arrive 2 mins before KO etc..and also because although I am not a die hard fan, I have produced one in CR Jnr. He's going North Upper next season, even if his mates don't join him he'll happily go on his own - Nutter!
    I do not blame anyone for not buying a ST.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2009
    Reality check: the club needs us more than ever, hope every real fan will do what they can, I still feel the owners of the club need to reassure the fanbase more than they have on what the likely squad will be next year (of the current players) and who will be the Manager as this will affect many fans willingness to renew (not mine I hasten to add) be nice if they could extend the deadline to keep your seat till after the transfer windows shuts too..
  • Options
    I want to renew, in fact I can't wait but I haven't received my application form, so I phoned the ticket office to be told that there is a problem with the printers so they can't send me a replacement form and I need to wait until the end of the week.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: NorthStandUltra[/cite]I want to renew, in fact I can't wait but I haven't received my application form, so I phoned the ticket office to be told that there is a problem with the printers so they can't send me a replacement form and I need to wait until the end of the week.

Yeah the problem with the printers is they are total amatuers and scumbags. FACT
  • Options
    I heard about a month ago they were a lot better is that true ollie?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mad83[/cite]Not sitting back on a two goal leads and going for it in these last few games would of got more people renewing.
    Spot on
  • Options
    i blame matt holland.

;oP
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA[/cite]

if you're not enjoying it then you shouldn't feel forced to pay for something you don't enjoy.
    Whew no need to get the back sack and crack done for the mrs then!

Depends on what she offers once you have had it done
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Charlton just do not have a very big fan base, real fans that is.

WTF is a real fan? If you mean committed fan then maybe I can agree
  • Options
    Not sure what the point of the initial post was, other than to wind up proper Charlton fans who have witnessed best part of 100 odd home games of average football at best over last five years. So my view is I dis-agree with the initial post completely & whoever wrote it should walk outside have a word with himself then come back in.
  • Options
    When was the last time you bought a season ticket? ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]It's peaks and troughs. Once Charlton were back at the Valley interest in them slowly grew, then the ground improved and the crowd grew more. By the late 90's after a few high profile cup games at The Valley - Newcastle in the FA and Liverpool in the League Cup numbers went up each year. Then of course was brief flirtation with the Prem and it became harder to get a ticket.
    A winning campaign in the 2nd tier led to Season Tickets back in the Prem being sold out. The capicty grew and by the mid 2000's there were regular crowds of 27k+.
    Many Prem fans stuck with one season in the 2nd division on the basis that they'd get a freebie back in their beloved Prem. Few fell for that one the next year.
    This season the football from CAFC has at best been shit and anyone who is not a die hard fan just cannot be arsed committing themselves to 3 or 4 hundred quid. They know they can a ticket anywhere, anytime for any match next year. If you have forked out a lot of dosh you feel as if you have to go or it is a waste of your money.
    It's quite simple, Charlton just do not have a very big fan base, real fans that is. This fact has been hidden by the above events over the last 15 or so years.
    If things improve on the pitch, as they probably will one day, then we may well start the whole cycle again.
    I'll be re-newing as I like to know where I am sitting, arrive 2 mins before KO etc..and also because although I am not a die hard fan, I have produced one in CR Jnr. He's going North Upper next season, even if his mates don't join him he'll happily go on his own - Nutter!
    I do not blame anyone for not buying a ST.
    I think you have this bang on, Chirpy. We have to accept that the vast majority of those who came along during the good years did so because of success, because the product was good, because they could see some of the best players in the world. They did not come because they suddenly felt this massive affinity with Charlton Athletic FC and it would always be the case that they would go as quickly as they came.

What very rarely gets a mention is the effect the changing ethnic landscape of the traditional CAFC heartland has had. Very few Africans, Asians etc support CAFC, instead choosing to support the usual suspects. Why? Because whether they are immigrants or have lived in the area all their lives, they have little or no affinity with the area or the club. I have Asian friends in Plumstead and they are either Livepool or Man U, same with the pub round the corner which is now pretty much exclusively African.