Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Norwich and administration?

They are due to refund 20% of the season ticket price to their fans now they have been relegated. Apparently they are now appealing to the fans that if they do this, it could tip them into administration....Are they just trying to steal the fans' hard-earned cash?

Desperate.

Comments

• Options
    Talk about a choice, damned if you do etc........!
  • Options
    If they knew they couldn't afford the 20% refund, why did they offer to do it in the first place?

Stupid.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]They are due to refund 20% of the season ticket price to their fans now they have been relegated. Apparently they are now appealing to the fans that if they do this, it could tip them into administration....Are they just trying to steal the fans' hard-earned cash?

Desperate.

Weegie. Whats your source on this one?

Personally I feel sad for the club and fans if its true.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: aliwibble[/cite]If they knew they couldn't afford the 20% refund, why did they offer to do it in the first place?

Stupid.

Really didn't believe they'd go down, did they?

Doubt many of the fans who saw the performance on Sunday would choose not to take the refund...
  • Options
    If you ask me the scheme was beset with problems from the start, it was not as if they were mid table or better when they put it on offer, and surely they knew that the magical "17,000" that keeps getting touted about would ask for a rebate/money back if they did go down.

Mind you, Southampton minus 10 points, Norwich minus 10 points, they may as well give us the trophy now!! :-)
  • Options
    I reckon it is close to 1.25 mill they will need to return.
  • Options
    I would suspect that having already paid the money over many will let the club keep it. Different if they had not already done so.
  • Options
    If Charlton had done this how many of you would ask for the money back?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kigelia[/cite]If Charlton had done this how many of you would ask for the money back?

If I'd seen that spineless performance on Sunday, I think I probably would.

But then again, Henry is probably right, as football fans are generally soft touches in such circumstances. Shame Charlton didn't do it at Christmas...
  • Options
    We have no source for the story at this stage but...

If Charlton did that to me I would demand my money back.

That is a scandalous way to treat their fans. Whats happened to all the money in the meantime.

They should have retained a 20% buffer to cover this possibility.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: eaststandmike[/cite]

Mind you, Southampton minus 10 points, Norwich minus 10 points, they may as well give us the trophy now!! :-)

Nah, the 3rd Division title will be won by Exeter City or Tranmere Rovers.
    You heard it here first.

;o)
  • Options
    good let em get into administration another team on minus 10 lets face it if it happened to us they would be wishing the same
  • Options
    The fans are pretty angry:

Boos and jeers for board and Gunn at Norwich fans' forum

CHRIS LAKEY, EDP SPORT

Last updated: 05/05/2009 08:15:00

Furious Norwich City fans vented their anger at senior club officials - and manager Bryan Gunn - last night during a stormy long fans' forum.

Chairman Roger Munby and chief executive Neil Doncaster were booed and jeered by most of a 600-strong audience at Carrow Road still struggling to come to terms with the club's relegation to League One.

Chants of "sack the board" greeted them even before they spoke, with Doncaster facing calls to quit or take a reduction in salary.

Doncaster's first attempt to answer one question from the floor was delayed by more than a minute as fans made their feelings known.

Munby was forced to shout to make himself heard on several occasions as the club's most senior officials struggled to keep order.

Joint majority shareholders Delia Smith and husband Michael Wynn Jones - who had a brief meeting with the media after Sunday's fateful 4-2 defeat at Charlton - were absent, with Doncaster's explanation that they were in London prompting howls of derision. Gunn wasn't immune either and had running battles with a number of individuals in the audience, leaving him clearly angry at the reaction he was receiving.

The board are due to begin a series of meetings tomorrow to determine where the club goes now, and those talks will include discussions on the managerial position, with Gunn's contract due to expire now that the season is over.

Gunn has made it clear he wants to keep the job, but the difference of opinion among the supporters last night provoked some sharp reactions. "I am capable of managing this club. Ok?" said Gunn when his credentials were questioned.

At one stage he suggested one heckler should be handed a trophy for the "snide remarks" he was making as Gunn struggled to complete his answers.

City fans are unlikely to know after tomorrow's first meeting just who next season's manager will be.

"We need to make sure we make the right decision, that we don't make any knee jerk decisions," said Doncaster.
  • Options

Or had the wit to take out insurance.

The sensible thing to do is to ask fans to hold off reclaiming the 20% back and offer that sum as an incentive against a 2010/2011 ST if they get promoted, just as we offered a free ST in the event of promotion back to the Premiership.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Imissthepeanutman[/cite]We have no source for the story at this stage but...

If Charlton did that to me I would demand my money back.

That is a scandalous way to treat their fans. Whats happened to all the money in the meantime.

Norwich should offer fans a free season ticket the year after, when they get promoted

......... to the Premier, eventually.

;o)
  • Options
    I would have thought Norwich should have a system to automatically return the money, unless fans intervene and expressly tell them they can keep it. It would be a kind of odd situation if fans of the same age were sitting in adjacent seats next season having paid different prices.
  • Options
    I've just re-read the above and fans were apparantly demanding that their chief executive take a reduction in salary...well well well!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: seth plum[/cite]I've just re-read the above and fans were apparantly demanding that their chief executive take a reduction in salary...well well well!!

Hmm he's name is Doncaster, which is almost Geordie land. I wonder if he smiles alot..
  • Options
    I am sorry if I am alone on this one but I think it is nothing short of fraud and deception.

To have banked season ticket revenue for 2009/10 to the tune of 17,000 season ticket holders by May 2009 and then to say we are not in a position to give you back the 20% we promised on relegation is an absolute disgrace. To hold their own fans who have coughed up early on this to ransom is appalling.

Of course we dont know its true.

If Richard Murray and Derek Chappell or any other consortia tune in dont ever think of doing that to us. No way.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Imissthepeanutman[/cite]I am sorry if I am alone on this one but I think it is nothing short of fraud and deception.

To have banked season ticket revenue for 2009/10 to the tune of 17,000 season ticket holders by May 2009 and then to say we are not in a position to give you back the 20% we promised on relegation is an absolute disgrace. To hold their own fans who have coughed up early on this to ransom is appalling.

Of course we dont know its true.

If Richard Murray and Derek Chappell or any other consortia tune in dont ever think of doing that to us. No way.

Agree with Imiss on this one. Disgraceful if true.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I wonder is Richard Murray would get a similar reception. I think not.

Still there are morons at most clubs
  • Options
    The source for the story is an Ipswich fan, but I do think it is pretty reliable...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]

Hmm he's name is Doncaster, which is almost Geordie land.

Distance between Doncaster and Newcastle is 205 miles or 329.85 Kilometers

Distance between London and Doncaster is 151 miles or 242.96 Kilometers

Doncaster, almost Geordie land. ....... ?
    As you can see Doncaster is much nearer London than Newcastle....... ?

Geography not your strong point, BFR .....?
    Back to school you go.

;o)
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    But it is northern.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]I wonder is Richard Murray would get a similar reception. I think not.

Still there are morons at most clubs

He would from me if he pulled a stunt like this one.
  • Options
    If true then its disgraceful. I too would demand my 20% refund if promised prior to purchasing my ST. Imagine if we were promoted and then the Board said 'Hold on lads and lasses, we can't really afford to give you free STs now'.

Fancy the fans demanding the CEO either resigns or reduces his (probably) ridiculously high salary. Whatever next.

£200k doesn't go far in the current climate does it?
  • Options
    Its a difficult time to get relegated. Us 3 sides could not have picked a worse time. That's why it is so important for all clubs to remember that communication with supporters, now more than ever, is vital. If this is just a rumour, Naaarch have to quash it pronto or it could do real damage.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]But it is northern.

Hmmm, just about, BFR ......so you are right there.
    But it'only 39 miles from Nottingham. for example - and Nottm Forest is a Midlands club.

Oh sod it .... agreed, then. Doncaster are closet Geordies.

;o)
  • Options
    Just goes to highlight what I was saying to Golfie at the match on Sunday: I think we've long accepted that we're in Div 3 and the club have been preparing for it. Not the same for the other 2. I'm quite positive for next season but we must keep Parky or all the preparation will go out of the window.
  • Options
    Weegie - there is now another source for the issue you raise.

The Charlton Takeover thread has a link to an article about the potential withdrawal of the 20% relegation discount.

I want to see how this one pans out.