Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Ivy

ok, have any of our esteemable posters been there.
I am taking missus for her birthday on Sunday. I phoned up and was told dress code is smart casual, and 'gentlemen are not required to wear ties'
Do I have to wear trousers/suit though because to me smart casual is a nice pair of dark jeans and a nice fitted shirt.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    I have only been once a few years back now mind you and jeans will be fine.
  • Options
    You will be fine. It is more casual than people expect. They actually dont care what you wear as long as you spend money. Went there once and was told they needed the table at 9.30. We started drinking decent champagne and never moved until 1.30
  • Options
    well i had a bottle of lager and their shepherds pie and was shifted within 1.15 mins... :-)

It is normal in there.. until you spot Bob Hoskins on your next table.
  • Options
    was there today for lunch with a client and some bods from ITV, nice place not as amazing as people think it is but ideal for people spotting, heading to the ivy club door for a drink tonight with a client also well worth checking that out if you can wangle yourself in.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Brunello[/cite]You will be fine. It is more casual than people expect. They actually dont care what you wear as long as you spend money. Went there once and was told they needed the table at 9.30. We started drinking decent champagne and never moved until 1.30
    LOL - similar here. Went there for a promotion interview once with a US firm. Got told we had to vacate the table by 9:00 but the yanks started ordering brandys at silly prices and we were still there at midnight. Grub was very, very nice - and there were people in there wearing jeans and trainers. Admittedly one of them was Joe Cole - which probably counts as 'smart' in his book
  • Options
    Took a lady there once.

On the table next to us was Harold Pinter, Michael Gambon, another playwright and a younger well known actor whose names escapes me.

Michael Gambon swore like a trouper and I told him off.

Am thinking of hiring the room upstairs for my 40th.
  • Options
    It's only a restaurant at the end of the day and you are Customers. I think their dress code is only there in the event they need to turn undesirables away. Their Shepherds Pie is the business! Hope you both have a fantastic lunch.
  • Options
    Falconwood, recommend the room upstairs, its lovely & they make you feel really special. Hubby & i were taken there with his team as a 'thank you'. We had champers, canapes, four courses, copious amounts of amazing wine & they wouldn't let us pay a thing! MrOL, your lucky lady will love it & you'll be fine in a good pair of smart jeans. Have a great time!
  • Options
    It's a very special night out, at a very expensive restaurant with the lady you love.

Dress up man, don't look like you are going for a night in the local for gods sake!
  • Options
    Thanks everyone - its just that the only suits I have got are work suits, and i dont own a pair of trousers.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2009
    [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]Thanks everyone - its just that the only suits I have got are work suits, and i dont own a pair of trousers.

Then buy some just for Sunday MrOL, make her feel special.
  • Options
    KBslittlesis CommentTime38 minutes ago quote# 9
    Falconwood, recommend the room upstairs, its lovely & they make you feel really special. Hubby & i were taken there with his team as a 'thank you'. We had champers, canapes, four courses, copious amounts of amazing wine & they wouldn't let us pay a thing! MrOL, your lucky lady will love it & you'll be fine in a good pair of smart jeans. Have a great time!

I'm not sure whether to have dinner or do a long boozy lunch.

Funnily enough, just remembered that I've got up to some mischief in there a while back. . . . .
  • Options
    How much on average would a 3 course meal and a bottle of their cheapest vino equate to... (roughly)
  • Options
    Only went once, Gwyneth Paltrow a couple of tables away. It is that kind of place. But as others have said remarkably normal with a wine list and menu that don't big themselves up.

Smart jeans and shirt perfectly acceptable.

Enjoy yourselves.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]How much on average would a 3 course meal and a bottle of their cheapest vino equate to... (roughly)

50 quid and that wouldn't be scrimping.
  • Options
    Do you still have to book months in advance?
  • Options
    I used to arrange the insurance on the premises on behalf of the land lord. Never went there though.
  • Options
    Decent food, but never quite understood why the celebs like it so much, perhaps because it is tucked away a bit, I don't know. Dress wise, agree, you'll be fine and nice treat for the missus.....
  • Options
    If you "Google" The Ivy, you can see menus, wine lists, reservatons etc.
  • Options
    Must say I prefer Simpsons.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not really a city fan for restaurants, just don't have the cash to pay for the premium. I like the odd Michelin star restaurant but I'll keep to the sticks and the de jour menu.

Still when you look at their wine list it has to be a stay away on the price/quality. Might be nice food, but wine is a shocker. 53 quid for a piss poor Chateauneuf, and the Chablis dear oh dear. At least they have a couple of austrian wines at almost sensible prices, but Spain and Italy are piss poor in selection as well.
  • Options
    In the end as it was sunny I dug out a smart linen suit I remembered i got for a wedding abroad last year.
    Food was good, nice atmosphere not pretentious or anything.
    3 courses came to appx 120 quid including 12.5% service charge.
    But we only had a cheap bottle of Sauvignon blanc at 22quid.
  • Options
    Glad you enjoyed it MrOneLung
  • Options
    Thumbs up for the whistle MrOL. Glad you both had a good time.
  • Options
    Taking my fine young lady for her Birthday next Sunday, really looking forward to it, everyone I know that has been have said they've had a great time.

Anyone else been lately?
  • Options
    I knew Jeremy King years ago before he made it big.
  • Options
    Went there in March for my 40th, best night out you can get.

Recommend the Shepherds Pie, to die for. Also the Welsh Rarebit, best ever.

Your other half will love it.
  • Options
    Yer, lovely evening. I went for trousers and a shirt, but I don't see why smart jeans wouldn't be a problem.
  • Options
    Went to Locanda Locatelli a few weeks back in a hawaian shirt and drop crotch shorts ... :p
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Riscardo[/cite]Went to Locanda Locatelli a few weeks back in a hawaian shirt and drop crotch shorts ... :p

You'd wear a bright pink banana costume if you could find one!