Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Greg Halford

Taking a proper kicking off Preston tonight and just took a boot to the Jacobs.

Couldnt happen to a nicer guy!

Comments

• Options
    Commentator on the tackler - "well, he got the ball".

Can't beat a good old classic
  • Options
    That bought tears to my eyes
  • Options
    good player, just scored for sheff utd , he's got a few for them this year
  • Options
    he scored
  • Options
    Good goal, hope he does well. Playing with far more confidence than he did with us.
  • Options
    Quite a good game
  • Options
    halford off injured now
  • Options
    and off he goes. still good luck to him anyway.
  • Options
    Good player IMO, much better than most of those we got. I could never understand all the stick he got from the crowd at Charlton, I was sad we did not sign him permanently. Has gone on to do well at Sheff Utd so good luck to him.
  • Options
    I reckon our tight finances scuppered any potential deal for him (if it was ever going to happen).

And the people who gave him stick were probably yassin fans..................;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    everyone slated him I don't think i did once!
  • Options
    Guys a muppet. Freak with a long throw, thats it.
  • Options
    Yeah, looked a right long ball freak when he fired that header into the back of the net! Well done Greg. Sorry i didn't recognise you ;-)
  • Options
    i liked him didnt get the abuse the fella got, scored a couple of good goals for us, wish him all the best
  • Options
    Me too. Never quite understood how the valley faithful didnt take to him. Loanee I guess. Must be shit.

Interesting how Blackwell is playing him. Seems to be a sort of free role behind the strikers but ending up wide right and left.

He seems in his time to have played almost everywhere and his header showed that with his height he is useful around the box.

I wish him well. Hope he gets a better chance in the Prem but without a specific position I am not sure.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU16[/cite]Guys a muppet. Freak with a long throw, thats it.

I hated him can't put my finger on why just never liked him.
  • Options
    Who did he score against for us?
  • Options
    Good player. Honestly, some of our crowd can be right idiots the way they target some of our players (loanees AND our own).
  • Options
    i will say i never boo'd him or anything liek that - never would do that against one of our players.

just didn't rate him at all.

didn't he score against wolves and west brom
  • Options
    Liked him. Decent player at CCC level.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Who did he score against for us?
    Erm i'm sure he bagged an OG
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Liked him. Decent player at CCC level.
    Same here, don't get this thread at all.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Who did he score against for us?

He scored in the 1-1 draw v West Brom, and also the 3-2 defeat against Wolves I believe. Both good goals.

I think he was disliked because of his tendency to hoof the ball forward at every opportunity - presumably because of expert instructions from Pardew. I think he would've been much better in midfield than in defence.
  • Options
    you mean like we did to iwelumo, Bent, Gray etc!
  • Options
    off on a bit of a tangent but just to say to those who say all we lacked this season was a decent goalscorer, Sheff Utd look like getting promotion and their top scorer has got 7 goals. Just shows that a decent defence is just as important if not more so.
  • Options
    Under rated player. Despite being 6 foot 14 tall, he was decent enough on the ball coming forward, and obviously a threat at set pieces, but appeared to be completely underused in front of the keeper at corners, etc.

His long throw was pretty much undefendable, much like Rory Delap's at Stoke - but he was much more than a machine for hurling the ball from touchline to penalty spot. Strangely, I don't think we really had the nous to take advantage of that really simple but effective tactic.

I remember Halford went through a family trauma soon after joining, which impacted on his performances at that time.
    Many people seem to have judged his ability on those few games when he was out of sorts and less effective.
    Once over that period, I thought he settled down to be a valuable member of the team.

He was one of Parkinson's proteges at Colchester, so no doubt Parkinson's influence to bring him here.
    No doubt he played to Pardew's instructions, yet the team tactically didn't really harness his strengths.

Sheff Utd seem to have done so.
  • Options
    Buckshee posted about him a while ago on here i'll find the thread. not his number 1 fan.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I couldn't stand him as a full back. Everytime he got it he just lumped it up field. The amount of times we just gave permission back to the oppos from his passes was infuriating. I think you'll find that was why he was not popular. Plus he was keeping mouto out of the team. Playing better now but he's in midfield now.
  • Options
    I saw his name on here yesterday and was then looking for a first goalscorer in last nights game. So £5 on Halford at 11/1 and I am happy.