Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

From another list called dont shoot the messenger.

edited May 2009 in General Charlton
Source.....Writer who works for the Independent

My own view....not sure about this come from my cousin last night, but part of it may be true because i heard Murray did not want to sell to Varney

Here we go..

He was told on Friday that an anoouncement will be this week concerning the future of Charlton the press have been informed...
He has been told that a takeover is in place but not Peter Varney after Richard Murray and Derek Chappell wanted more money from him to buy the club, but from our Arab friends who are back on the in the picture

As i say i don't know what to make of this, i heard two weeks ago that the Varney deal was being held up by Chappell and Murray not agreeing who got what......

Interesting.......but if its true that Murray and Chappell are holding up any takeover for the club then they want to get themselves sorted out and stop this in fighting put the club and it's supporters first

Comments

• Options
    when this week??
  • Options
    This saga is just gonna go on and on, and its all based on nothing other than chinese whispers
  • Options
    s'right
  • Options
    In all seriousness i know i was on the wind up earlier this week but you are not far off from what i have truely been told however the part about Varney and Muzza and waggot are incorrect, Varney IS not and Was not Leading a consortium he Is a facilitator between 2 parties,

I also have heard that the intrest may be coming from the middle east but and i stress but

I have taken the information very lightly as i do not want to be disapointed

hence my feeble attempts at toilet humour earlier on this week.

I refuse to take it for more than just hopefull thoughts
  • Options
    What worries me about all the takeover rumours is that its always next week that something is about to happen and it never does. The Peter Varney deal being scuppered by the re emergence of middle east interest would mean that effectively there are at least two prospective buyers squabbling over Charlton and all this at a time when practically every football club in the country is for sale ! Are we really that good a prospect ? The rumours like the one Rodex posted above (In good faith no doubt) always seem to throw up more questions than answers. It would appear the press have been informed that the statement about the clubs future won`t be the Peter Varney deal we all "expected" so the club have leaked this and yet no sunday or daily newspaper have printed. Is that how it works ? This statement also implies that the Varney deal if it ever existed is now dead because the other party is prefered. Would you really kill a prospective deal before the other one is finalised ? Remember Zabeel. Interested to hear Mr. Murray doesn`t want to sell to Peter Varney. Would like to know why that is. PV has always been held in the highest of esteem by Charlton fans at least. Initially I was convinced that something was going on behind the scenes but I am now sadly inclined to believe that no takeover is likely. Look forward to reading other posts and other perspectives.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]What worries me about all the takeover rumours is that its always next week that something is about to happen and it never does. The Peter Varney deal being scuppered by the re emergence of middle east interest would mean that effectively there are at least two prospective buyers squabbling over Charlton and all this at a time when practically every football club in the country is for sale ! Are we really that good a prospect ? The rumours like the one Rodex posted above (In good faith no doubt) always seem to throw up more questions than answers. It would appear the press have been informed that the statement about the clubs future won`t be the Peter Varney deal we all "expected" so the club have leaked this and yet no sunday or daily newspaper have printed. Is that how it works ? This statement also implies that the Varney deal if it ever existed is now dead because the other party is prefered. Would you really kill a prospective deal before the other one is finalised ? Remember Zabeel. Interested to hear Mr. Murray doesn`t want to sell to Peter Varney. Would like to know why that is. PV has always been held in the highest of esteem by Charlton fans at least. Initially I was convinced that something was going on behind the scenes but I am now sadly inclined to believe that no takeover is likely. Look forward to reading other posts and other perspectives.

From how i have understood it from those that seem to know more than me and have been very very accurate on all things Charlton , The Deal is the same one just PV's involvement has been misinturpreted and it was not a PV takeover and never has been.

This week for me is the important one and that if i dont hear somrthing substantial and concrete this week i will take it as very little is going to happen, these things take time and we have been bitten once before so twice shy is the saying
  • Options
    Not sure that anyone thought that Peter Varney was leading a consortium if only because he would I imagine lack serious money himself. I always thought that if he was involved it was more as a advisory / mediator role based upon his vast knowledge of all things Charlton and football administration in general.
  • Options
    I think people should just wait and IF any share-holders get ANY letters or information we'll take it from there.
  • Options
    I don't know about anyone else but I'm getting tired of this takeover talk. It's just depressing the hell out of me, god knows what it's doing to everyone else at the club.

I for one will be ignoring these rumours from now on. I just completely fed up of it.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I have no idea if ANYONE is coming over the hill to take us back into the sunlight but would fully understand if Murray "held out" for a deal. Why wouldnt people who have put huge amounts of their own wedge into the club look at any proposal in their intrests re geting a good part of their money back ?you would be mad not to.

The big players thought the Zeebel deal was good for the club, but they wouldnt have agred to it if they had lost a large part of their investment.

PV (IMO) would or may be a "go-between". Maybe he left because he could see what was going on--didnt want to rock the sinking ship further, but he is a fan and like ALL of us cant believe for truely shit this club has become in such a short time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Didn't Ketman allude to 2 directors dragging their feet for more money
  • Options
    Well its not for sale on e bay yet !
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    If the deal is the same one (not led by PV), what is it the same as? Is it Zabeel back in the fray hoping to pick us up at a knock down price? Is it another middle east consortium? As other poster's have said -there are more questions than answers and it always seems to be next week that something big will happen. I would love to have the strength to say that I will not pay any interest in it all until if/when a deal is made but the fact is after all we have endured I would love the club to be in talks with someone with regard to getting us back on a decent footing- as I'm sure most of us would. So long as that party has the best interests of Charlton Athletic at heart then I am all for it, having said all that, the pesimist in me would not be in the least suprised if nothing happens either!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]but would fully understand if Murray "held out" for a deal. Why wouldnt people who have put huge amounts of their own wedge into the club look at any proposal in their intrests re geting a good part of their money back ?you would be mad not to.

I get that, but supposing it leaves the club stuck with the same group of people who have no money to invest further? If a director put his interests above the future of the Club, I wouldn't feel very kindly towards the director.
  • Options
    If there is any truth in this story, it saddens me greatly.

It sounds plausible and chimes with what AFKA hinted almost a month ago, when he wrote in a blog calling for a 'new era' :

''Takeover speculation is again rife, some accurate, some a fantasy. But if the lack of advancement is due to delays on our current board's part, then whoever is digging their heels in needs to take a very long look at themselves and decide do they really want what is best for Charlton, or just for themselves ?''

If true, RIchard Murray finds himself on the horns of a horrible dilemma.

He knows that a takeover - particularly one giving a prominent role to someone who is Charlton through-and-through like Peter Varney - is in the best interests of the club.

Yet he also has a duty to his family and his dependents to preserve as best he can the value of his investment in the club.

If the two are in conflict and he has to chose between the best interests of CAFC and protecting his own financial stake, then I feel very sorry for him. Given everything he has put in to Charlton and what the club means to him, I don't envy him having to make that decision at all. Very, very sad if it has come to this.
  • Options
    Make you right nigel. If there is anything like that going on I hope its really just dotting the i`s and crossing the t`s. Anything more could prove fatel to any deal and thereby Charltons future.
  • Options
    Can't see Zabeel wanting to get us on the cheap - only worth 40m anyway so even if they get us for 30m they save 10m - but they are worth BILLIONS so 10m is no great deal IMO
  • Options
    Quote Swisdom......10m is no great deal IMO .

Respect ;0)
  • Options
    I can almost guarantee that its not RM who is/was sticking his heels in.

If anyone is.
  • Options
    I think that at 30/40mil given location, support, potential either sum represents value for money for any forward thinking business.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]I can almost guarantee that its not RM who is/was sticking his heels in.

If anyone is.

So do I and i find it very insulting that to rm that this is being insinuated
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I don't think it is in the least insulting, NSS.

As Goonerhater says : "Why wouldnt people who have put huge amounts of their own wedge into the club look at any proposal in their interests re geting a good part of their money back ? you would be mad not to.''

I think any shareholder would also owe it to their family and dependents to protect their investment as best they could. If a proposed takeover involved writing down the stake of existing investors by , say, 40-50 per cent, said investors would be more than entitled to reject it and seek a better deal, surely ?
  • Options
    There is the other prospect that if the currents boards sustainable plan without new investment fails (and with their pockets now empty) then the club could go into administration and the value of the holdings would be worth nothing.

As I have said before I dont think its a simple consistent right down of share values because of the relatively recent loans/bonds so that adds to the complexity of the sale price and who may get what eg it will vary from Director to Director.

Cant surely be anywhere near £30m or more. And I reckon the write down is much more than 50% more like 75% (dependant on above).

I think with RM its as much a requirement for a new energy needed to take the club forward as it personal return in money terms.
  • Options
    my sources have suggested that the buyer comes from the Emerald Isle, PV's only involvement has been as an advisor/mediator and that something is going to happen very soon.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]my sources have suggested that the buyer comes from the Emerald Isle, PV's only involvement has been as an advisor/mediator and that something is going to happen very soon.

Blimey we`ve gone full circle again. Back to the Irish suggestion. Sounds like a lot of punts to me ;0)
  • Options
    I hope something will happen soon, large!

I think the fact that the club have still not published a retained list speaks volumes...

We shall see!
  • Options
    Racking my brains for rich Irishmen. Michael O`Leary......Erm....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rodex[/cite]

our Arab friends who are back on the in the picture

At first i thought this LINK kind of pi55ed on your bonfire.But the last sentence is interesting.
  • Options
    "At the moment we see opportunity in Dubai and in London."

Fucking Zabeel please don't do this to us again... you actually have to take us over now ;o)
  • Options
    So to round up the rumours-

Something is meant to be happening very soon
    Possibly an Irish or Arab consortium (Zabeel again?)
    Varney is not the head of a consortium, simply an advisor

Anything else?