Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rod 'Spanner' Liddle ......

edited May 2009 in General Charlton
In the Sunday Times today:......"Following Millwall being installed as as the country's most popular team for having disposed of Leeds United in the play-offs, I received gleeful congratutory text messages from supporters of Spurs, Manchester City, Charlton, Huddersfield Town, and even West Ham". He goes on: "The least one can wish for them is that next season they get to the play-offs again and are defeated very narrowly by a much smaller club over two legs". He also expects 35,000 spanners to come out of the woodwork next Sunday, So, who sent a text, then?

Comments

• Options
    Kelvin McKenzie I expect.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: March51[/cite]In the Sunday Times today:......"Following Millwall being installed as as the country's most popular team for having disposed of Leeds United in the play-offs, I received gleeful congratutory text messages from supporters of Spurs, Manchester City, Charlton, Huddersfield Town, and even West Ham". He goes on: "The least one can wish for them is that next season they get to the play-offs again and are defeated very narrowly by a much smaller club over two legs". He also expects 35,000 spanners to come out of the woodwork next Sunday, So, who sent a text, then?[/quote]

They have been given 49,500 tickets, so I wouldn't be surprised if they top 35,000. Credit where credit's due, 35,000 would be an impressive turnout when they only average 8,000 at home games. I can't help thinking we might struggle to match this if it were us. Our Wembley showing in the Full Members Cup was an embarrassing 15,000+ and our Play-Off heroics against Sunderland only managed to attract the low 30,000's. In both of those games we were outnumbered by northerners who had considerably greater distances to travel with all that goes with it. Maybe it would have been higher if we had made a final appearance in the Premier League years but that must be on the wane now...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Cardinal Sin[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: March51[/cite]In the Sunday Times today:......"Following Millwall being installed as as the country's most popular team for having disposed of Leeds United in the play-offs, I received gleeful congratutory text messages from supporters of Spurs, Manchester City, Charlton, Huddersfield Town, and even West Ham". He goes on: "The least one can wish for them is that next season they get to the play-offs again and are defeated very narrowly by a much smaller club over two legs". He also expects 35,000 spanners to come out of the woodwork next Sunday, So, who sent a text, then?

They have been given 49,500 tickets, so I wouldn't be surprised if they top 35,000. Credit where credit's due, 35,000 would be an impressive turnout when they only average 8,000 at home games. I can't help thinking we might struggle to match this if it were us. Our Wembley showing in the Full Members Cup was an embarrassing 15,000+ and our Play-Off heroics against Sunderland only managed to attract the low 30,000's. In both of those games we were outnumbered by northerners who had considerably greater distances to travel with all that goes with it. Maybe it would have been higher if we had made a final appearance in the Premier League years but that must be on the wane now...

Oh errr right yes well....thanks for that Cardinal......I think?
  • Options
    I'm sure load's of us wish Millwall all the best and will be roaring them onto the Championship........yeah right. Confident that Scunthorpe have a decent enough side to do a job at Wembley.
  • Options
    Yes lets forget that we were playing at Shitouts Park when we reached The Full Members Cup. I mean F**kAll sorry Millwall are a much bigger club ??????
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Yes lets forget that we were playing at Shitouts Park when we reached The Full Members Cup. I mean F**kAll sorry Millwall are a much bigger club ??????[/quote]

Agree with you Goonerhater, morale must be at an all time low. Forget the knees up muvver bran crap of yer actual 'wall at Wemberley (haleys comet style rarity that it is) and how many day trippers and hangers on they are/aren't likely to get. The fact is they only get about 8,000 for the bread and butter matches and that is what really counts.
  • Options
    Mate its the " im CAFC but shall i go to see F**kAll at Wembley?"------------ and the "i have lots of Millwall mates and they aint hoolies and they are fluffy , so so so cute" B**LOOX ----- well i know several thousand who are complete c**Nts, and if you go to see that shit at Wembley are you any differnat to Kelvin (who shall i supprt this week) Macenzie
  • Options
    the thing is, there's at least 5,000 of the people going to Wembley with Millwall that will come to see us when we play at Wembley.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Day trippers, tourists, little boys who think they are bad because they have a soft spot for Puggwall, they will all be there swelling the numbers. Similar to people witnessing a traffic accident, they can't resist a peak no matter how tasteless it might be.Don't forget the Lions are a big club because they spent two whole seasons in the old Division 1 back in the late 80's,how on earth could Charlton match that??! Up the Iron!!
  • Options
    Millwalls attendances were down 5% this season.....despite them doing considerably better than the year before. Our turn out at the Full Members cup final was actually just a tad under 12,000.....that for me was even more dissapointing than the result.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If you get down the Den quick, you'll probably be able to get some tickets.....or you can try seetickets.com

Good luck ladies and gents. See you there.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Groucho78MFC[/cite]If you get down the Den quick, you'll probably be able to get some tickets.....or you can try seetickets.com

Good luck ladies and gents. See you there.

In your f'ing dreams pal!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Cardinal Sin[/cite]
    Our Wembley showing in the Full Members Cup was an embarrassing 15,000+ and our Play-Off heroics against Sunderland only managed to attract the low 30,000's. In both of those games we were outnumbered by northerners who had considerably greater distances to travel with all that goes with it.

This must be a wind up, surely?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: TelinOz[/cite]Millwalls attendances were down 5% this season.....despite them doing considerably better than the year before.

They didn't sell out the home leg and they didn't even sell out their 1000 allocation for the 2nd leg. Small club.
  • Options
    A lot of people will go to Wemberlee just for a day out.

Whatever the result, you won't seem them at the, erm...... 'London Stadium' next season.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: TelinOz[/cite]Millwalls attendances were down 5% this season.....despite them doing considerably better than the year before.

They didn't sell out the home leg and they didn't even sell out their 1000 allocation for the 2nd leg. Small club.

The missus family are all Millwall, her brother has been every game home and away this season. He was so worried about not getting tickets to the away leg at Leeds that he drove down to Millwall at 2 o'clock in the morning on the day they came out, slept in his tiny smart car till 5.30 then got out and joined the queue of people waiting for tickets when the ticket office opened at 9.30.

The best part was his dad rung him at 2 o'clock in the afternoon to say that there was 500 tickets still left, in fact he could have gone down there the day before the game and still got tickets!

I haven't stop take the piss out of him since!
  • Options
    Don't bother going to London Bridge for a pint the day of Millwall's play-off. The pubs will be closed because the spanners don't know how to behave, win or lose.
  • Options
    What is it with you lot and your obsession with size?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: pilchard[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Yes lets forget that we were playing at Shitouts Park when we reached The Full Members Cup. I mean F**kAll sorry Millwall are a much bigger club ??????

Agree with you Goonerhater, morale must be at an all time low. Forget the knees up muvver bran crap of yer actual 'wall at Wemberley (haleys comet style rarity that it is) and how many day trippers and hangers on they are/aren't likely to get. The fact is they only get about 8,000 for the bread and butter matches and that is what really counts.

I seem to remember we took 35K to Wembley when our home crowds were somewhat smaller.
  • Options
    Of course Wembley is going to attract more people, how many league grounds have a capacity of over 90,000? We may have added a casual few thousand but Millwall's support has quadrupled. Still, they are a big club so fair do's.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Groucho78MFC[/cite]What is it with you lot and your obsession with size?
    Ask Mrs Groucho :-)
  • Options
    According to their respective websites Scunthorpe have so far sold 7,000 tickets for Wembly and Millwall have sold 43,500!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Red_in_SE8[/cite]According to their respective websites Scunthorpe have so far sold 7,000 tickets for Wembly and Millwall have sold 43,500!

**reminisces about being in the wigan end 1999(ish)**

**prays for the same outcome**
  • Options
    how many season ticket holders roughly do scunny have? thats seems very low.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    The only reason we didn't have more than 33-35,000 to Wembley in 1998 was that we couldn't get any more tickets - they would have sold out very quickly if the club hadn't restricted who could buy them so that they didn't go to Sunderland fans.

On the Saturday morning before the game the club had about 50 expensive tickets remaining and decided not to open the ticket office, so Ian Cartwright and I (on behalf of the supporters' club) spent the morning selling them for the club out of a portable ticket office with no credit card facilities.

1987 was a different world and one of the problems was that the club restricted sales to Selhurst Park, a policy so silly that even the CAFC realised that for the play-off games that followed they would have to sell tickets from the Valley Club alongside the derelict Valley.

Ebbsfleet took 25,000 to the FA Trophy final last year and Millwall took about 50,000 to Wembley in 1999 for the Windscreen Wipers (Wigan took about 5,000), so I'd expect them to sell as many tickets as they get their hands on. It tells you nothing, really.
  • Options
    i didnt realise so many of my "friends" on facebook are lifelong millwall fans. The updates are depressing.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]how many season ticket holders roughly do scunny have? thats seems very low.

Whilst thousands of Millwall fans are going for the day out, Scunthorpe have already been to Wembley this season when they lost to Luton in the Auto windscreen shield. So a lot of their 'hangers-on' probably wouldn't be too fussed in paying £40-50 for a ticket, £30+ for the train etc plus also faced with the prospect of 40k meatheads wanting to kill them if they win.
  • Options
    I expect some Scunthorpe fans won't go in case they get attacked by Millwall thugs.
  • Options
    all this proves to me is that millwall fans were not at school the day they taught about contraception
  • Options
    Where have they found 43,500 fans from?

Their home crowds were only about 9k on average even in a possible promotion season.