Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Look up your MP's expenses

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]see the greenwich one doesnt. thankfully.

would he have a second home because he's not actually from that area originally?

Up until now, any MP who represented an Outer London constituency (i.e Bexley or Bromley, but not Greenwich) could claim for a second home. So many, but not all of them, did. I wouldn't defend it and both Labour and Tory MPs were at it. MPs from inner London (the old ILEA area) can claim the London supplement instead, which to be fair is similar to what most people get if they work in Central London (or did 20 years ago when I last commuted).

Following the current scandal, outer London MPs will no longer be able to claim for a second home and the total amount the rest can claim for this has been reduced by about half. But it still means some people whose seats are 20 miles from parliament can claim.

Conway isn't standing in Old Bexley and Sidcup; he has been replaced as candidate by the current Tory MP for Hornchurch, whose constituency has been abolished.
  • Options
    Are you planning to stand again, Rick?
  • Options
    Expense ReportcloseConstituency: Ilford North
    MP: Scott, Mr Lee
    Party: CON
    Expenses
    Second Home: £0
    London Supplement: £2,812
    Office: £14,585
    Staffing: £89,273
    Stationery: £595
    IT Provision: £926
    Staff Cover: £0
    Communication: £5,652
    Travel: £3,845

Total Expenses: £120,079

Quite reasonable really.
    I dont begrudge them paying their relatives to do a job, as long as they actually 'do' the job.
    I suppose your average secretary / p.a earns 25-35k so if your wife/husband,mistress etc can do the job, why not employ them. It is the ones like Conway who employed his son as a researcher and who was at university at the time, that have caused this outcry. i think one MP commented that the house of commons should employ all the secretary's,researchers etc and that the MP's are allocated these from a pool, and that the wages are not responsibility of the MP. This would stop the relatives from being employed on a willy nilly basis.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Are you planning to stand again, Rick?

No it's not worth it now. JOKE :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]I wonder how much of the "staffing" costs claimed are actually in relation to members of their own families? About 80% I would guess, the parasites.

I don't have a problem with MP's employing family members at the going rate, as long as they are actually doing the job.
    [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]Travel; £2,782 ! Its 4 bloody miles from his house to HOP !!

Far be it for me to defend Jim Dowd, but I think the expenses are not to and from HOP, but travelling as an MP as part of his committee work. Sadly Dowd is a Palace fan, which galls me in that we asked him to open the East Stand.
  • Options
    One of the MPs reasons for a second home was the fact that once when the moon is blue,they work very late and there is n public transport or they are to tired to drive. Therefore get them black cabs even 100 miles away over a year the tax payer would be quids in.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]Constituency: Orpington
    MP: Horam, Mr John
    Expenses
    Second Home: £11,452
    London Supplement: £0
    Office: £26,440
    Staffing: £69,225
    Stationery: £406
    IT Provision: £656
    Communication: £10,687
    Travel: £1,910

Total Expenses: £121,975

I've never voted for him.

Me too.
    Orpinton to London 25 mins, I wonder where his 2 homes are.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Are you planning to stand again, Rick?

No it's not worth it now. JOKE :-)

The great thing about being the Labour candidate in OBS is that the current furore - or pretty much anything the government does, for that matter - makes no difference whatsoever to the chances of me winning.

However, I do think it's disastrous for politics generally and especially harsh on the activists of all mainstream parties who knock on doors.
  • Options
    Is that a yes or a no?!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Is that a yes or a no?!

Listen to Jeremy Paxman : - )
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I also feel sorry for the activists who will be geting it the neck on the door step, and for the MPs who have not had their noses in the trough.

This has without doubt been a disaster for UK democracy. However it culd also be an opertunity to completely look at the whole process.

Loose the idea of 3 lines whips--------- let all votes be "free"
    Proportional(sic) representation brought in (yes there will be some far right/far left)
    An elected house of Lords
    No PM without being voted in by the public.
    Manifesto items to be binding

The Queen could disolve Parliament--------- she wont, but it would be the single best thing that Royalty has done in hundreds of years.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Is that a yes or a no?!

Look, I'm a (part-time) politician. I can't be giving straight answers to straight questions or where would we be?

[cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]

Loose the idea of 3 lines whips
    let all votes be "free"
    Proportional(sic) representation brought in (yes there will be some far right/far left)
    An elected house of Lords
    No PM without being voted in by the public.
    Manifesto items to be binding

The Queen could disolve Parliament
    she wont, but it would be the single best thing that Royalty has done in hundreds of years.

I agree with PR - or at least a single transferable vote - and an elected House of Lords (in direct proportion to votes). This of itself would start to rupture the big coalition parties (Labour & Conservatives), but you're never going to get rid of party influence in votes and a directly elected PM would require a massive constitutional shift with all kinds of implications.

As for manifesto commitments, it's up to the electorate to punish politicians who break them if they choose - I can't see any way you could police such a commitment beyond that because there will always genuine changes in circumstances and differences of interpretation. We elect representatives to make decisions for us on the assumption they have the time and intelligence to analyse the issues when the general public has neither the time nor the inclination.

As Harold Macmillan said, the biggest challenge to any politician is "events"; you can't rely on a four or five-year-old manifesto to steer you through them.
  • Options
    Actually doing what they say in their manifestos would be a start.........
  • Options
    Constituency: Maidstone and The Weald
    MP: Widdecombe, Rt Hon Ann
    Expenses
    Second Home: £858
    Office: £20,957
    Staffing: £87,456
    Stationery: £465
    IT Provision: £1,000
    Staff Cover: £2,430
    Communication: £0
    Travel: £1,659

Total Expenses: £115,728

£858 wouldn't even pay for the maintenance of her swimming pool!
  • Options
    Constituency: Gravesham
    MP: Holloway, Mr Adam
    Expenses
    Second Home: £22,587
    Office: £13,598
    Staffing: £85,166
    Stationery: £957
    IT Provision: £1,009
    Communication: £21,063
    Travel: £2,602

Total Expenses: £149,535

£22.5k on a second home, checking on They Work for You, most of his travelling is done by car, so Adam, Why do you need a second home when you can drive from Westminster to Gravesham in less than an hour after a late night session in the House?

How many spare office blocks in Westminster? Cheaper to convert one or two into units of small flats?
  • Options
    You expect a Tory MP to live in Gravesham? His second home will either be in Tuscanny or Provence.

Shame on you Dave.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]An elected house of Lords

Could be quite possible, once the new supreme court is up and running!
  • Options
    Constituency: Haltemprice and Howden
    MP: Davis, Rt Hon David
    Expenses
    Second Home: £17,643
    Office: £19,258
    Staffing: £88,036
    Stationery: £462
    IT Provision: £1,316
    Communication: £2,871
    Travel: £10,888

Total Expenses: £141,963

Constituency: Hull East
    MP: Prescott, Rt Hon John
    Party: LAB
    Expenses
    Second Home: £23,083
    Office: £10,920
    Staffing: £88,563
    Stationery: £674
    IT Provision: £1,251
    Communication: £0
    Travel: £15,441

Total Expenses: £141,644

I had assumed he would have been a lot higher!