Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The best Curry in South East London?

Comments

• Options

I seriously recommend the Jolpai in Mottingham/Eltham. It is opposite the Green BP petrol station on the roundabout. Absolute gem.

Cold beers, piping hot curries. Good value and nice decor!

agree with that but can get a bit crowded on Saturdays.
  • Options
    Curry Cottage in Beckenham was always good, though a bit pricey.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

A new one for the list.

Pink Garlic in Bromley. A big group of us went there Friday night and it was really good. A pleasant surprise.

Service may not be quite as good now...

http://m.newsshopper.co.uk/news/14342396.Officers_discover_Bangladeshi_staff_at_Bromley_restaurant_overstayed_visas/
  • Options
    Probably mentioned it earlier in the thread but every curry I have had from Darjeeling in Sidcup has been really nice.

Do want to try Ruchi again in the near future, haven't been there for years.
  • Options
    any recomendations for tooting area? thanks in advance
  • Options

@palarsehater The ones on the high street from Tooting Bec tube south past Tooting Broadway tube are generally pretty good but it's probably worth looking at a review sites like Opentable, Time Out etc. to see if any are stand outs or any need to be avoided.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Went to Yak and Yeti in Crystal Palace again recently. Still consistently good.

There's a newish place in Brockley, Saka Maka, by the double mini-roundabout. It's more home-cooked style than anything else around so welcome for that and the food is tasty but it's not as cheap as it should be given the decor, etc.
  • Options

Loads of great ones. I'm a big fan of Apollo Bananaleaf (Sri Lankan). Sree Krishna a few doors away is also great. Lots of other places have good reputations as well.

• Options
    shampan 2 or 3 chatterton road bromley or falconwood parade eltham.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Looking to book a curry house on a Saturday night after a Charlton home game. Any good ones still open in the local area, ideally quite close to a train or tube station. Thanks.
  • Options
    Looking to book a curry house on a Saturday night after a Charlton home game. Any good ones still open in the local area, ideally quite close to a train or tube station. Thanks.
    Visited the Star of India in Eltham after the WBA game just before the first lockdown last year and was fine. It is also within staggering distance of The Long Pond a fine micro pub in Westmount Road run by a distinguished, retired poster from this forum.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Visited the Star of India in Eltham after the WBA game just before the first lockdown last year and was fine. It is also within staggering distance of The Long Pond a fine micro pub in Westmount Road run by a distinguished, retired poster from this forum.
    But not close to a train station.
    I couldn't recommend but I'd have a look at Greenwich.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Thanks for the comments. Was looking at the coriander by Westcombe Park station https://www.thecoriander-blackheath.co.uk/
  • Options
    Make your way to Tooting and jump in an Uber back to Clapham Junction afterwards if you are heading back to the south west. Even an ex-colleague who’s from Pakistan tells me his family heads for Tooting (to the same restaurant) when they want to treat themselves and they live in east London and you would have thought they could find somewhere pretty decent over there. If anything. I think the quality of the food we’ve been having has improved since lockdown and it’s been consistently good every time (once a week - I’ve obviously been doing my bit to keep the service economy going)
  • Options
    Everest Inn Blackheath is good and easy from the valley, Panas Ghurka also good but a bit of a walk from Blackheath. 
  • Options

Royal Nepalese next to Westcombe Park station was always my go to when I lived in Charlton. 
  • Options
    Curry is my favourite food by far and had somewhat led me and my mate on a spice inspired pilgrimage. We systematically tried most (very nearly all) curry houses in a 5 mile radius.

This intensive research led me to the greatest curry house you’ve never heard of. If you like curry, you have the visit The Jasmine in Bexleyheath. It looks a little run down but it’s the best food I’ve ever had.
  • Options
    Curry is my favourite food by far and had somewhat led me and my mate on a spice inspired pilgrimage. We systematically tried most (very nearly all) curry houses in a 5 mile radius.

This intensive research led me to the greatest curry house you’ve never heard of. If you like curry, you have the visit The Jasmine in Bexleyheath. It looks a little run down but it’s the best food I’ve ever had.
    Great reviews on TripAdvisor and 49th out of 17,239 restaurants in London (don't they know Bexleyheath is in Kent?)
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Thanks for the comments. Was looking at the coriander by Westcombe Park station https://www.thecoriander-blackheath.co.uk/
    Coriander is decent but has gone downhill a bit in recent years, but still very good. 

Kesar on the Woolwich road, despite what it looks like, is very good and authentic.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Anyone know the story behind the Aligoor in Bexleyheath closing? Looks like a refurbishment and reopening as another curry house called Maya. Same chef and staff?

Really enjoyed going to the Aligoor. 
  • Options
    The one in Charlton village is good imo, but you have to take your own booze in, (co-op opposite)
  • Options
    Did you knit it yourself @ricky_otto ?
  • Options
    A few years since I lived in SE London, but loved the place in Blackheath that had Terry Waite and Mickey Skinner specials on the menu...
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Going to Indian Essence in Petts Wood for first time tonight (Coral wedding anniversary)

Expensive but meant to be very good.
    Went there for an impromptu curry after one of the Bromley Addicks meetings in Petts Wood.  Food was great-you get what you pay for.

Assume it is still Atul Kochhar.
  • Options

Love that dedication. Sounds like I should make time for a visit there.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    aliwibble said:
    Did you knit it yourself @ricky_otto ?

Was my lockdown project. I used a lot of wool up for @Henry Irving side - purely to he could easly hide all the museum pieces he has been pilfering. The best thing he has escaped with is Peter Garland. 
  • Options
    Going to Indian Essence in Petts Wood for first time tonight (Coral wedding anniversary)

Expensive but meant to be very good.
    Worth it really. Hope you enjoyed it!

The Indian shop next door is really good too if you want to make your own. 

I find that pretty much all Indian restaurants are inconsistent. You’ll get a good curry one week and then someone else makes it the next time and it’s terrible.