Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

P.Scally-Gillingham (millwall supporter) Chairman.

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2009
    [cite]Posted By: kentisblueandwhite[/cite]The reason why Gills fans despise your club so much (and Scally bleats on about you stealing fans) stems mainly from the fact that you had people standing outside our turnstiles handing out fliers offering deals to go watch Charlton at the first game after it was announced that we had gone into administration. They hadn't been there before and didn't come back as you can imagine they received pretty hostile abuse. Can you imagine how you would feel if/when your club go into admin - you turn up at the ground to chuck your money in the collection bucket and there is a represtantive of another club handing you a bit of paper trying to get you to watch another club. Talk about vultures!!!

I don't doubt for one minute any claims that your supporters may have had some kind of whip round as is suggested above but I'm afraid that any such gesture was totally oversahdowed by the disgusting act of your board of directors who must have santcioned the special campaign.

As for the present day - I am a little surprised at some of the comments on this board about how you will be promoted by december etc. I think your players will find Div 1 a culture shock and you may not find it too easy to get out of. Just ask Leeds!!

i don't think it was anything to do with our board of directors at all. Last time someone went on about this i think Henry seemed to know what had gone on. Maybe he'll comment on this when he's about... or maybe it's not interesting enough.

as for us thinking we'll be promoted by december that's not the mood on this board at all.

edit: if i'd seen GH had just posted i'd have let him deal with it!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kentisblueandwhite[/cite]The reason why Gills fans despise your club so much (and Scally bleats on about you stealing fans) stems mainly from the fact that you had people standing outside our turnstiles handing out fliers offering deals to go watch Charlton at the first game after it was announced that we had gone into administration. They hadn't been there before and didn't come back as you can imagine they received pretty hostile abuse. Can you imagine how you would feel if/when your club go into admin - you turn up at the ground to chuck your money in the collection bucket and there is a represtantive of another club handing you a bit of paper trying to get you to watch another club. Talk about vultures!!!

I don't doubt for one minute any claims that your supporters may have had some kind of whip round as is suggested above but I'm afraid that any such gesture was totally oversahdowed by the disgusting act of your board of directors who must have santcioned the special campaign.

As for the present day - I am a little surprised at some of the comments on this board about how you will be promoted by december etc. I think your players will find Div 1 a culture shock and you may not find it too easy to get out of. Just ask Leeds!!

I don't think many people on here have any illusions about how tough life will be for us in Tier Three, we have learnt a very harsh lesson over the last three years.
  • Options
    The point being anyone who has seen us over the last three years cant possibly believe we would walk this Division.
  • Options
    The Comment Kentishblueandwhite refering to about being up by December is on this thread.

http://www.charltonlife.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=26251

Stimson has done a remarkable job to take a squad with that was relegated without a fight and then with no money rebuild that team and get them back up at the first attempt. Gillingham will not be 6 easy points for anyone next season.
  • Options
    Sorry but your club must have sanctioned the leaflet campaign and I can testify that it happened because I was there and was offered one of the leaflets! I'm not slating your the fans for what happended just explaining why your club became tainted in the eyes of Gills fans.

PS - Why the 'Sorry little club' comment. I remember you lot having to play at other grounds as a destitute club. Short memory - maybe another reason why Charlton are unpopular - arrogant fans with delusions of grandeur!
  • Options
    FCUK OFF YOU UN-WASHED TO$$ER
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: son of selhurst[/cite]The Comment Kentishblueandwhite refering to about being up by December is on this thread.

http://www.charltonlife.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=26251

Stimson has done a remarkable job to take a squad with that was relegated without a fight and then with no money rebuild that team and get them back up at the first attempt. Gillingham will not be 6 easy points for anyone next season.

The way we are going at the moment we would be hard-pushed to take six points off of anybody.

[cite]Posted By: kentisblueandwhite[/cite]Sorry but your club must have sanctioned the leaflet campaign and I can testify that it happened because I was there and was offered one of the leaflets! I'm not slating your the fans for what happended just explaining why your club became tainted in the eyes of Gills fans.

PS - Why the 'Sorry little club' comment. I remember you lot having to play at other grounds as a destitute club. Short memory - maybe another reason why Charlton are unpopular - arrogant fans with delusions of grandeur!

Arrogant fans with delusions of grandeur? Eh? That might have been the case with some people back in the Curbs Premiership days but it sure as hell is not the case now. Two relegations in three seasons tends to do that.
  • Options
    lets get this right ---- i (and i suspect most CAFC fans) couldnt give a rats toss about The Gills or what you and ur Wall loving Chairman think. Its PATHETIC how you go on about "stealing " fans------------- im still intrested to know how you "steal" a fan ? you didnt answer that.

many of us still put money in when your club need it --------------fact.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kentisblueandwhite[/cite]Sorry but your club must have sanctioned the leaflet campaign and I can testify that it happened because I was there and was offered one of the leaflets!
    Why "must" the club have sanctioned it? I would've thought it was more likely that it was one of the supporters club branches if anything.
  • Options
    Seem to remember playing gillingham in a pre-season friendly back in 2002 and some years later after another pointless rant from the Millwall supporting chairman down at gillingham about us stealing fans (zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz) that Peter Varney made the point that Gillingham had not paid Charlton for our share of the gate money that day. Even tho Charlton never went seeking for the money. Never did hear anything from Mr Scully in the media on that one. Strange.

If he has such a downer on us why take players from us on loan? Kevin Lisbie, Josh Wright, Chris Dickson to name a few.

To be honest I have nothing against Gillingham as a club or there supporters.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scally constantly embarrasses himeslf and our club with stupid rants and vindictive actions that often come back to bite. Many/most Gills fans (myself included) think he is a total twat.
    At least we accept that though and we don't apologise or deny for our board/chairman doing something stupid.

I only came on here to explain why there are some strong feelings about Charlton from our perspectove and, the 'stealing of fans' clearly relates to the attempts to 'pursuade' our fans to leave an apparently sinking ship to watch your lot. It happened - I saw it with my own eyes and it caused bad feeling on our side. I'm sure though that your directors are unlike any others and would never do anything like that or even lie about it.
  • Options
    To the Jills fan - Lies Lies Lies.

We (Kent branches of the Charlton Supporters Club) worked with your supporters club to support your club to keep it going - We'd been there and we knew what it was like. We put our hands in our pockets and raised money, quite a bit in fact. I know as I was one of them.

So don't come on hear and say that we stole your fans. That is a blatent lie.

And if Kent is Blue and White it certainly isn't Jills, it's probably more of the Chelsea glory boys.
  • Options
    Kent isn't blue and white.

Medway may be, but the rest of Kent isn't.

Charlton are a Kentish club too - know your history.

P.S I would love to see one of those leaflets that were allegedly given to your fans...or was it all a figment of your spanner chairman's fevered imagination?
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    [cite]Posted By: bigstemarra[/cite]

P.S I would love to see one of those leaflets that were allegedly given to your fans...or was it all a figment of your spanner chairman's fevered imagination?

I think it's one of these urban myths that has grown over the years tbh.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I made the promted by December remark.
    FFS cant a man have a drink on a bank holiday weekend.
    I ment to say Febuary.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    kentisblueandwhite - Didn't know you had broadband access in your caravan ;)

Bet you're looking forward to your cup final next year against us? :)
  • Options
    It happended - I was there. Like I said above - I'm not blaming your fans and I don't doubt that they may have helped out (for which I say thank you) but people were handing out fliers at our groudn to go and watch Charlton and that can only have come from the club/board. Deny it all you want.

PS - Millwall and Woolwich Arsenal were also Kentish Clubs but the last time I checked we weren't in the 1890s and Milllwall was in London, Woolwich was in London and Charlton was in London!!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kentisblueandwhite[/cite]It happended - I was there. Like I said above - I'm not blaming your fans and I don't doubt that they may have helped out (for which I say thank you) but people were handing out fliers at our groudn to go and watch Charlton and that can only have come from the club/board. Deny it all you want.

I will deny it because it simply is not true.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kentisblueandwhite[/cite]It happended - I was there. Like I said above - I'm not blaming your fans and I don't doubt that they may have helped out (for which I say thank you) but people were handing out fliers at our groudn to go and watch Charlton and that can only have come from the club/board. Deny it all you want.

PS - Millwall and Woolwich Arsenal were also Kentish Clubs but the last time I checked we weren't in the 1890s and Milllwall was in London, Woolwich was in London and Charlton was in London!!!!

It didnt happen. You like to think it happened.
  • Options
    I posted this on another thread regarding Gillingham:

'when Gillingham were on their knees, Mick Everitt raised money from (non-prem, pre Scally) Charlton support to fund their team to travel to an away game(s?), I remember Steve Dixon on charlton chat didn't like it....when we had very little we helped Gillingham who had nothing. Their supporters can say what they like but this is fact, so however critical they are of us, we delivered, they only moan, with some of the most gobby tosspots around.'

So the Charlton board apparantly arranged for people who leafleted Gillingham fans at the turnstiles promoting travel to the Valley did they? Even if that were true, anybody knows you can't steal fans from their club. What annoyed Gillingham was the notion that the whole of Kent was theirs (as opposed to the many many fans of other clubs who have re-located there....especially Charlton who are near, and the demographic shifted fans down into Kent over time), and they didn't like the idea that Charlton would make it easy for Charlton fans to travel to the Valley.
    I mean Paul Scally is so welcoming of his own people isn't he....god knows how many strokes he has pulled to alienate his own fans, and didn't he ban a local paper so they had to watch from a crane or something?
    The fact is Charlton fans walked the walk when it came to substantial help for Gillingham when they needed it, it seems some Gillingham fans simply talk the talk. I suggest that Gills put their own house in order before having a go at us....and by the way Mr Scally...who took the corner you scored from at Wembley, a Charlton player on loan was it? Funny that, a player of ours helping you, and your reaction is to be disrespectful of our club.
    Before Scally Gillingham were a great club, brilliant fanzine, Keith peacock as a real good manager there, lots of decent connections, but Scally has introduced mean spirited Millwall style poison that has spread to some of the Gillingham support.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Gotta say I have never heard this story before ... some proof would be useful as it sounds extremely unlikely to me.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: seth plum[/cite]Before Scally Gillingham were a great club, brilliant fanzine, Keith peacock as a real good manager there, lots of decent connections, but Scally has introduced mean spirited Millwall style poison that has spread to some of the Gillingham support.

Got you exactly right Seth!
  • Options
    It didn't happen, so no proof will be forthcoming, unless some demented soul is hastily mocking up a fake leaflet even now.
  • Options
    the leafletting never happened, it is a figment of their twisted imagination. And how can you 'steal' an fan ? If a supposed fan is swayed to support another Club by a leaflet then surely thay are a fan not worth having in the first place. As for bussing fans in so what. Charlton fans have dispersed through Kent, Sussex and Surrey by natural migration over many years and all Valley Express does is ferry Charlton fans to The Valley. If Scally doesn't have the nous to do the same then more fool him.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: kentisblueandwhite[/cite]It happended - I was there. Like I said above - I'm not blaming your fans and I don't doubt that they may have helped out (for which I say thank you) but people were handing out fliers at our groudn to go and watch Charlton and that can only have come from the club/board. Deny it all you want.[/quote]

Gotta say I have never heard this story before ... some proof would be useful as it sounds extremely unlikely to me.[/quote]

I find it hard to believe that anyone leafleting outside one club promoting another, would not get moved on by the fuzz - thats painful - and failing that beaten to a pulp.

I don't see why such an activity if it happened would be authorised by the board.
  • Options
    If the leaflet drop ever happened I don't think for one moment that it would have been sanctioned by the board as kentisblueandwhite suggests. As a club that have been though some traumatic times themselves most supporters and I'm sure members of the board would have understood the feelings of the Gillingham fans at that time and would have been more likely to offer there support not pray on there misfortune.
  • Options
    wasting your time w/slade, they don't really want to hear it as they already have their opinions and it fits their agenda.

Hundreds of Charlton fans contributed to blanket collections.
    Charlton's Kent branches arranged fund raising events and handed over the proceeds
    Charlton fans helped pay for Gills travel to an away game
    Gillingham have historically been a club most Charlton fans have followed their results and wanted to do well

But none of that really matters because if true, 1 or 2 misguided people gave out a 'leaflet'. Someone call the police.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    i'm glad they handed out the leaflets got us more fans not bothered if your pathetic fans were wound up by it or not every club has to make money and that's how we did it, theirs no law stopping us and when we get back up don't be suprised if we do it again. Thats if it ever happened at all
  • Options
    Think I attended a quiz at Gillingaham to raise much needed funds .

Does my fading memory serve me correctly, BDL ?
  • Options
    F@@k 'em the ungrateful shits. I do think we will stuff Gillingham, twice and I do believe if we correct a few things in the summer Charlton Athletic will be on the way back! Delusions of grandeur, I don't give a rats arse, we've earned the right in the past and we can do it again, I call it believing in my club. COME ON YOU REDS!