Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

P.Scally-Gillingham (millwall supporter) Chairman.

13»

Comments

• Options
    I know a Gills fan who was enticed to The Valley and is now a ST holder.

You're more than welcome to have him back.
  • Options
    When Gillingham were in trouble, I helped them financially.

When Brighton were in trouble, I helped them financially.

When Palace were in trouble, I helped them financially.

I would do the same for ANY Club from our region who were in serious trouble. I know what it's like. It's not nice.
  • Options
    I know Gills fans that were so frustracted at the club they ditched there season tickets of 15 years and know season ticket holders at Ebbsfleet family of 5.Never regretted there decision either

So its not only CAFC Scally should be having a pop at Ebbs as well
  • Options
    I remember handing out Medway CASC application forms at the away end prior to the pre-season kick off on 4th August 2001
  • Options
    Blimey - I only came on here to explain why there was a general anti Charlton sentiment amongst many Gills fans. Not here to apologise or support Scally.

Much of what has been said above I totally agree with. Scally has alienated many Gills fans, has generally treated us with contempt and he has also failed to tap into the Kent market properly but just bleats about Charlton doing it. True - I don't see Charlton as a Kent club and it does annoy me that they try to make out that they are a Kent club when it suits them and then revert back to being a London Club when it suits them but I haven't moaned about Charlton fans coming from Kent. Any recent fans you have were the result of you giving away premier league footie at a cheap price and we couldn't compete with that .

There are lots of Charlton, Palace, Millwall, West Ham etc. fans in kent because they are exiles or have family ties due to the London overspill in the 60's etc. (my family are from London overspill with my Mum's side from Bermondsey and being Millwall fans and my dad's side coming from hackney being Spurs and west ham). Not a problem and, if anything, areas like Beckenham, Bexley, Welling, Dartford and Erith have Kent addresses but are really London orientated so I fail to see why anyone from there would even think of leaning towards Gills. (There are even lots of Brighton fans in the Tunbridge Wells bits of Kent because they are closer to that part of the world).

Thanks to any Charlton fans who did help out when we were in trouble - but like it or not - the leaflet hand out took place because we were handed one and whoever authorised it or thought it was a good idea to do clearly was one stupid twat!

See you next year

PS - Can we have Dickson please.
  • Options
    I suppose we are also guilty of stealing Arsenal's woolwich fan base too.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kentisblueandwhite[/cite]Thanks to any Charlton fans who did help out when we were in trouble - but like it or not - the leaflet hand out took place because we were handed one and whoever authorised it or thought it was a good idea to do clearly was one stupid twat!
    But if as Sam Lloyd says, the Medway branch of the supporters club were leafletting outside the away end, what's wrong with that? Our fans were targetting our fans, to get them to join the local branch of the supporters club. Nothing to do with the football club, and not trying to steal your fans, just make the Charlton fans that lived in the area aware of the activities of the branch. You must obviously look like a Charlton fan if you got handed one!
    No.
  • Options
    Nah we need him more than you!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: aliwibble[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: kentisblueandwhite[/cite]Thanks to any Charlton fans who did help out when we were in trouble - but like it or not - the leaflet hand out took place because we were handed one and whoever authorised it or thought it was a good idea to do clearly was one stupid twat!
    But if as Sam Lloyd says, the Medway branch of the supporters club were leafletting outside the away end, what's wrong with that? Our fans were targetting our fans, to get them to join the local branch of the supporters club. Nothing to do with the football club, and not trying to steal your fans, just make the Charlton fans that lived in the area aware of the activities of the branch. You must obviously look like a Charlton fan if you got handed one!
    No.

Lol and you are on here now so you are a CAFC fan - FACT
  • Options
    Right that's it. I'm out of here before I start singing that red red robin crap!

Welcome to the lower leagues - good luck but don't expect any points from us!

Ps - Hope to see you in the play off final - can you imagine what the A2 would be like!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: kentisblueandwhite[/cite]Right that's it. I'm out of here before I start singing that red red robin crap!

Welcome to the lower leagues - good luck but don't expect any points from us!

Ps - Hope to see you in the play off final - can you imagine what the A2 would be like![/quote]
    i forgot your such a good team, you won promotion and without dicko you'll be back in league 2 before you no it
  • Options
    Yep I can - it'll be full of Valley Express coaches!!
  • Options
    Dear Mr Gills fan,

You have to understand that when CAFC fans, including many on here, gave you money in your hour of need and then lend you players to help you get promoted for your chairman to turn around and have a pop is rather irritating and ungrateful to say the least.

And as for the London/Kent thing; I consider myself to be a Kentish man and a Londoner. They are not mutually exclusive. I am proud of the oldest, greatest county in our history and also the greatest city on the planet. One is the city of my birth, the other is the county of my birth. Are you just trying to find another reason to throw your toys out of the pram because there are more Charlton fans in Kent than Gillingham ones?

P.S Can I echo the sentiments above; I have nothing against the Gills, quite the reverse - I have always wanted them to do well. I do wish your nobhead spanner chairman would do one, though.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kentisblueandwhite[/cite]

Ps - Hope to see you in the play off final - can you imagine what the A2 would be like!

No worse than normal...

Scally's attcaking of Charlton highlights his lack of ambition or nous. As the only football club in Kent and in a large catchment area questions should be directed at him along the lines of what has he done to attract fans to the Priestfield? The answer is not much. This is like a run-down supermarket complaining because Tesco's open a branch nearby and start "stealing" their customers. What Charlton did was good marketing and common sense - they gave their diaspora a cheap and easy way to get to the Valley where they could watch a decent standard of football. Scally's objection is that these fans should have gone to watch Gillingham instead, but like the similarity with supermarkets it means that they should have been prepared to accept a second or third rate service out of loyalty. Life doesn't work like that...
  • Options
    Memo to the Jills fan - Those leaflets were from Medway CASC, targetting our supporters to join the Medway branch of CASC.

We (Gravesend) did the same when Charlton played the Fleet at the mecca of football otherwise known as Stonebridge Road, and they had no problems with that.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]Memo to the Jills fan - Those leaflets were from Medway CASC, targetting our supporters to join the Medway branch of CASC.

We (Gravesend) did the same when Charlton played the Fleet at the mecca of football otherwise known as Stonebridge Road, and they had no problems with that.

I remembering being given such a leaflet. I was very offended : - )
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kentisblueandwhite[/cite].

There are lots of Charlton, Palace, Millwall, West Ham etc. fans in kent because they are exiles or have family ties due to the London overspill in the 60's etc.

This is me.

P.S Yes.
  • Options
    Surely though we havent stolen "fans"?! if we are guilty of stealing anyone it is merely the punters who wish to go watch a match of football? As with the majority of clubs, the true "fans" couldnt fill a stadium, therefore there is a need to have the general football fans to come to matches. A difference between a fan and a customer, if u like.

Charlton merely offered a better deal and gained customers from Gillingham, an occurence that happens in every business market. Scally can moan all he likes, but when Tesco's loses customers it offers better deals to entice them back, as Charlton are trying to do (perhaps unsucessfully) with the £50 off st offer as they have a lower quality product on order.

Perhaps Scally should reassess the club structure and try to entice these fans back. Charlton turned empty seats into money by enticing football fans in Kent, maybe Scally should try the same...
  • Options
    I hope the flyers were just being handed out at the away end...
  • Options
    I (vaguely) remember Alex Wright driving down to Gillingham for a quiz night years back to raise money for the Gills.
    Also remember giving a few quid in the collection at the Valley for them.
    I've never had any problems with Gills fans, know afew thru' my support of (Super) Kent CCC.
    It seems that any "aggro" started when Penfold become chairperson (he's not a man).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No matter how hard we Charlton supporters try there just seems no pleasing Jill's fans, take Saturday 23rd April 2005 for instance & the return coach journey from Norwich where I was the only remaining passenger on board after all the previous drop-off's had been made. I must have cut quite a forlorn figure sitting on my lonesome reflecting on the afternoon events at Carrow Road.

Little did I know that I'd be playing devil's advocate when we were flagged down in Chatham & asked if we could dispatch the passengers of a broken down coach to their final destination.

Before you could say Tommy Trueblue the stranded passengers now boarding the coach were none other than Gillingham Supporters on their way back from their 2-0 defeat at Derby.

Now, never one to look a gift horse in the mouth & wishing to live up to Charlton's renowned reputation of being a friendly club, once the driver had informed them that they were now on a Charlton Athletic coach, I duly greeted my new-found travelling companions with Scally-wags worse scenario "WELCOME ABOARD THE VALLEY EXPRESS"!!

Sitting there whilst the enormity of the situation reverberated to the back of the now packed coach I had to show great restraint in not offering them the Valley Express hotline booking number, especially when taking into consideration that a few of them were already looking a bit green around the gills!!!

Having finally reached their destination at Priestfields with some thanking me for the lift as they disembarked, I graciously pointed out that the pleasure had been all mine & that I'm sure Mr Scally would be pleased to learn that Charlton Athletic had come to the rescue in their hour of need, albeit in the form of the Valley Express Coach Service!!
  • Options
    This is a great story, and weighed against a few CAFC supporters club officials giving out leaflets to Charlton supporters at the away end at Priestfield it puts the moans of Gillingham fans in perspective.
    Gillingham fans don't let Scally make you become graceless.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Sam lloyd[/cite]No matter how hard we Charlton supporters try there just seems no pleasing Jill's fans, take Saturday 23rd April 2005 for instance & the return coach journey from Norwich where I was the only remaining passenger on board after all the previous drop-off's had been made. I must have cut quite a forlorn figure sitting on my lonesome reflecting on the afternoon events at Carrow Road.

Little did I know that I'd be playing devil's advocate when we were flagged down in Chatham & asked if we could dispatch the passengers of a broken down coach to their final destination.

Before you could say Tommy Trueblue the stranded passengers now boarding the coach were none other than Gillingham Supporters on their way back from their 2-0 defeat at Derby.

Now, never one to look a gift horse in the mouth & wishing to live up to Charlton's renowned reputation of being a friendly club, once the driver had informed them that they were now on a Charlton Athletic coach, I duly greeted my new-found travelling companions with Scally-wags worse scenario "WELCOME ABOARD THE VALLEY EXPRESS"!!

Sitting there whilst the enormity of the situation reverberated to the back of the now packed coach I had to show great restraint in not offering them the Valley Express hotline booking number, especially when taking into consideration that a few of them were already looking a bit green around the gills!!!

Having finally reached their destination at Priestfields with some thanking me for the lift as they disembarked, I graciously pointed out that the pleasure had been all mine & that I'm sure Mr Scally would be pleased to learn that Charlton Athletic had come to the rescue in their hour of need, albeit in the form of the Valley Express Coach Service!!

That is a priceless story! You must have dined out on that one a few times.
  • Options
    I received some leaflets through my front door over the weekend from local restaurants.
    None of them were my nearest eateries......
    What to do?

Great story Sam!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Sam lloyd[/cite]No matter how hard we Charlton supporters try there just seems no pleasing Jill's fans, take Saturday 23rd April 2005 for instance & the return coach journey from Norwich where I was the only remaining passenger on board after all the previous drop-off's had been made. I must have cut quite a forlorn figure sitting on my lonesome reflecting on the afternoon events at Carrow Road.

All true, all true
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Marco[/cite]I received some leaflets through my front door over the weekend from local restaurants.
    None of them were my nearest eateries......
    What to do?

Great story Sam!

You're not a dirty thieving millwall scumbag, so don't do anything.