Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

When should we start to panic ?

Right. The football club is telling us nothing. Although rumours persist about a takeover there is certainly nothing concrete that even the press have picked up on. Not one iota of real evidence. We are still speculating arabs, irish or perhaps more likely the tooth fairy. The fixtures come out on June 17th just less than THREE weeks away. We do not have a confirmed manager, sponser or perhaps shirt. Our players have publically stated well Josh Wright anyway that they do not know what is happening or where his future lies and another thread has suggested that Fleetwood would be welcome at Exeter again but their manager can`t do anything because Charlton are in a difficult situation. It would appear thousands of season tickets will not be renewed because of the manager situation and the Chief Executive is smoothing the way for another year of disapointment by stating how difficult the finacial situation currently is. Can anyone tell me exactly when we should start to panic ?

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2009
    When we're told the club have gone into administration, the Valley has been sold and we're moving into Selhurst Park whilst we prayer for a buyer to save us at the last minute.

Until then, we'll have been through worse and we'll continue to exist. As long as I still have my Charlton, in some form or another, then I see no reason to panic.
  • Options
    SHG - you can start 'panicking' now if you like, I am.
  • Options
    No panic ----------- nothing is going on----------the club is stuck in a total fear of making yet another mistake------------trying to find who is doing what now they have made 10 people redundant.

I have always said to work mates----staff ---managers " Do something, doing nothing is just that------------NOTHING",i hope we anrt just in an end of season hibernation.
  • Options
    are we sure there has not been a dynasty like ending to teh board after the Norwich game, has anyone seen them, are they lockwd in the board room with no way out?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Right. The football club is telling us nothing.
    Nothing? Surely this is news?
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]We do not have a confirmed manager
    Yes, we do - it's Parky until we're told it's not.
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]We do not have a ... sponser
    Well, if it's good enough for FC Barcelona...
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Our players have publically stated well Josh Wright anyway that they do not know what is happening or where his future lies
    Like about 30-40% of all footballers, his contract is up on 30 June this year. He knows exactly where his future lies until then; and he knows he's got until then to sort it out.
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]another thread has suggested that Fleetwood would be welcome at Exeter again but their manager can`t do anything because Charlton are in a difficult situation
    They'll just have to form an orderly queue. We can't fix other clubs' problems. So if Exeter - or anyone else - want to sign one of our under-contract players, they'll have to wait their turn.
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Can anyone tell me exactly when we should start to panic ?
    All in all, taking everything into consideration, and allowing for contingencies, errors, ommissions and anything else out of our control, I would say that the time to start panicking is ... NOW!
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I'm not going to panic
  • Options
    I am also not going to panic we have a well built stadium with a decent capacity we are going to still face big teams e.g Leeds,Southampton ...
    Also players have said that they are happy to stay e.g Matt Spring, Llyod Sam....
    We are located in a main part of London which is useful for the olympics and possible a world cup so if we do have another problem with money im sure we will get taken over.
    We aren't the only club who are suffering from the recession at this current time.
    We still would have Charlton Life.

That's why i'm not worried at the moment.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
  • Options
    Ah The Hitchikers Guide :)

Charlton Athletic:Mostly Harmless
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: addick1965[/cite]Ah The Hitchikers Guide :)

Charlton Athletic:Mostly Harmless

Does explain the attempts to use 42 players in a season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2009
    Pre-match music by Disaster Area?
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    The time to panic was last November when we already in freefall and many of us knew something dramatic was needed to prevent us being relegated (and said so, only to be denounced for panicking!)

The board manfully refused to panic. Instead, they were mature and sensible and grown-up and opted for the 'stability' offered by Parkinson. The results were predictable. Relegation. But hey, we can at least hold our heads high, look Capt Mainwaring in the eye and say we didn't panic!

It's far too late to press the button now.

Instead, think of division three as an thrilling new adventure into the unknown. Just like when we first joined Div 3 (South) 88 seasons ago. As I have pointed out elsewhere, if you look at the table for 1922, we are more or less back where we started, playing the same teams that must have seemed such an exciting prospect to our grandfathers who followed CAFC back then - Exeter, Gillingham, Brighton etc.

We don't know who the manager will be next season, who the owners wll be, what players will still be here - but we'll still be Charlton and it's going to be a great adventure into an unknown, brave new world. I can't wait!

Meanwhile, why not forget about it until August and join me at the cricket at Canterbury this afternoon for Kent v Middx?
  • Options
    Yeah, why are the club not issuing a news bulletin on the hour, every hour round the clock
    telling us that nothing has been finalised yet .... ?

IMHO, the OS should at least run a story each day made up of rumour and wild speculation.

if by some random chance they do hit on something that does have some thread of truth in it, they could exaggerate out of all proportion - and maybe even prejudice any deal, managerial change or progress that's being put together piece by piece outside of the glare of press publicity.

Meanwhile, like Nigel says, there are other things we can do.

The sun is shining, it's a beautiful day ...... and my birthday.
    And AFKA's too, if I remember.
  • Options
    Happy birthday, Oggy. And Danny, too, if Oggy's memory is correct.

Enjoy the sunshine and let's look forward to a trip down to Oggyshire next season when we play Exeter !
  • Options
    Happy B'day chaps
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Yeah, why are the club not issuing a news bulletin on the hour, every hour round the clock

IMHO, the OS should at least run a story each day made up of rumour and wild speculation.

if by some random chance they do hit on something that does have some thread of truth in it, they could exaggerate out of all proportion - and maybe even prejudice any deal, managerial change or progress that's being put together piece by piece outside of the glare of press publicity.

And AFKA's too, if I remember.

Happy Birthday Oggster. I'm hoping the weather holds for mine tomorrow!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]Yes, we do - it's Parky until we're told it's not.

Erm, no it's not.

I'm pretty sure he got the managers job till the end of last season only.
    So, we have no manager at all.
  • Options
    happy birthdays. Are you twins?
  • Options

Don't panic Mr Mainwaring!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: addick1965[/cite]I'm not going to panic

are you going to the picnic ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: addick1965[/cite]I'm not going to panic

Worse thing to do. Gets you nowhere. Just make sure you have a copy of the book and a clean towel.

as Benjamin Zepheniah once said

If you can keep your money when governments about you
    Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
    If you can trust your neighbour when they trust not you
    And they be very nosy too;
    If you can await the warm delights of summer
    Then summer comes and goes with sun not seen,
    And pay so much for drinking water
    Knowing that the water is unclean.

If you seek peace in times of war creation,
    And you can see that oil merchants are to blame,
    If you can meet a pimp or politician,
    And treat those two impostors just the same;
    If you cannot bear dis-united nations
    And you think this new world order is a trick,
    If you've ever tried to build good race relations,
    And watch bad policing mess your work up quick.

If you can make one heap of all your savings
    And risk buying a small house and plot,
    Then sit back and watch the economy inflating
    Then have to deal with the negative equity you've got;
    If you can force your mind and body to continue
    When all the social services have gone,
    If you struggle on when there is nothing in you,
    Except the knowledge that justice can't be wrong.

If you can speak the truth to common people
    Or walk with Kings and Queens and live no lie,
    If you can see how power can be evil
    And know that every censor is a spy;
    If you can fill an unforgiving lifetime
    With years of working hard to make ends meet,
    You may not be wealthy but I am sure you will find
    That you can hold your head high as you walk the streets.
  • Options
    So Josh Wright isn't in the loop, well that must be bad!

The papers haven't said anything - erm they are probably busy covering the other footballing events, wait until the season is over for everyone and the rumours will start.

But as for panicing, what exactly are you panicing about? We're not going bust, we will put a team out, with a manger on the first day of the season. We may not win the league but so what.

I just can't get my head around what exactly you want to panic about.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Yeah, why are the club not issuing a news bulletin on the hour, every hour round the clock

And AFKA's too, if I remember.[/quote]

Delayed Birthday Wishes , have a good one
  • Options
    Can understand what your saying, if we're going to sack Parkinson or not renew his contract or whatever, I'd rather it'd be announce now, so we can start the process of a new manager (and I'd guess a new backroom staff too) to deal with contract renewals and pre season prep.

Maybe nothing is being announced due to the supposed takeover? But then, that's gone quiet too.

Still, no news is good news...I guss :$
  • Options
    To answer the original question, it was time to panic when Parkinson was given the permanent job after eight winless matches as caretaker when our plc chairman told us that decision would be made based all about "results!"
  • Options
    I am already running around in circles and whimpering. Found this hard to type with shaking fingers. Anyone seen my medication?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: American_Addick[/cite]To answer the original question, it was time to panic when Parkinson was given the permanent job after eight winless matches as caretaker when our plc chairman told us that decision would be made based all about "results!"
    And what did your panicing acheive?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Centenary_Shirt[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: American_Addick[/cite]To answer the original question, it was time to panic when Parkinson was given the permanent job after eight winless matches as caretaker when our plc chairman told us that decision would be made based all about "results!"
    And what did your panicing acheive?

Errrr, relegation ... and the worst run of results in the club's 104 year history!
  • Options
    Good original posting' shooters hill guru'.......
    Quite why the club continues to 'stonewall' it's fans and supporters does nothing for every Charlton fan that I meet.

The clever option is NOT to keep quiet and keep your head down, sigh and fart........
    The only people so far that have lost there heads, are the poor bastards that were the backroom staff, innocent in all of this shambles.

No, I do not have the answers, but loyalty cuts both ways. A difficult situation we all agree on, but a clear statement of intent is needed now, not in six weeks time......
    Try earning your money MD.
  • Options
    I sincerely believe that the next ten days or so are massive for the club. Parkinson needs to be informed that either he will be given the reigns for next season or not so that the man can either get on with shaping his squad for next season or if not get the new man in situ for the same reasons. The defening wall of silence eminating from the club looks to me like driving a wedge between it and its supporters at a time when Charlton Athletic Football Club needs it`s supporters like no other time since The Valley return. A statement of intent would go a long way to allieviating the problem for a while and IF there is a genuine reason for the silence because of a takeover then at least, I believe the club should say that negotiations are delicate and complex and can comment no further. Would this seriously jeopardize a potential deal ? Come off it. I know that Zabeel falling through was a major blow but are we that nieve to think just because there is an interested party that the deal will go through ? I believe that a positive aspect to such a statement would bring supporters good will flooding back and indeed boost season ticket sales. On the other hand saying nothing and then us finding out there has not been a takeover in the offing and the board do nothing to quash the rumours would imho be unforgivable.