Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

When should we start to panic ?

Comments

• Options
    SHG, I too cannot understand why if a takeover is in the offing a simple statement cannot be issued stating that negotiations are underway with regard to a takeover/further funding and further information will be given in due course. I can't see how this could scupper any deal. It could be said that it could raise our hopes only for them to be dashed if it falls through but at the moment we all seem to think something is going on anyway and if nothing eventually happens we'll all think it was because it fell through, rightly or wrongly. At the moment the Board are just giving the impression that we are on a sinking ship, no-one knows what to do about it. IF something was going on too isn't it beyond the realms of possibility that we would say to the prospective new owner, who must have a prospective new manager in mind, 'we were intending to release Weaver, Ambrose, Todorov, Wright etc how do you feel about that?'. Prospective new owner says 'Incey says we don't want any of them around next season thanks' and so you can go-ahead and release them in the knowledge that even way they are definately surplus to requirements. Any that are otherwise hold fire on.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]IF something was going on too isn't it beyond the realms of possibility that we would say to the prospective new owner, who must have a prospective new manager in mind, 'we were intending to release Weaver, Ambrose, Todorov, Wright etc how do you feel about that?'. Prospective new owner says 'Incey says we don't want any of them around next season thanks' and so you can go-ahead and release them in the knowledge that even way they are definately surplus to requirements. Any that are otherwise hold fire on.

The thing with that is we'll certainly be releasing Todorov, Weaver and probably Ambrose no matter who any new owners are and whether they bring in a new manager or not, so yes why can't they announce anything like that?

I can't see a new manager getting a choice in that, as none of them have done enough recently to stay, and I can't imagine Todorov or Weaver at least will want to stay either. I'd be shocked if we or a future manager (if we get taken over) are seriously even considering keeping Todorov or Weaver. Does make me wonder though, is there a reason why we haven't said they will be released, when it's clear they will be?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Centenary_Shirt[/cite]So Josh Wright isn't in the loop, well that must be bad!

The papers haven't said anything - erm they are probably busy covering the other footballing events, wait until the season is over for everyone and the rumours will start.

But as for panicing, what exactly are you panicing about? We're not going bust, we will put a team out, with a manger on the first day of the season. We may not win the league but so what.

I just can't get my head around what exactly you want to panic about.

Best post in this thread by a country mile.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Centenary_Shirt[/cite]So Josh Wright isn't in the loop, well that must be bad!

The papers haven't said anything - erm they are probably busy covering the other footballing events, wait until the season is over for everyone and the rumours will start.

But as for panicing, what exactly are you panicing about? We're not going bust, we will put a team out, with a manger on the first day of the season. We may not win the league but so what.

I just can't get my head around what exactly you want to panic about.

Best post in this thread by a country mile.

Of course you are right. Charlton won`t go bust. Will field a team for the fixtures and no doubt that is all that matters to some supporters. As for me I want Charlton to succeed on every level and seeing the club rapidly disappearing down the wizzer is for me at least a reason to panic !
  • Options
    A takeover is a must, not for money, but becausee the bottom line is that the club needs a competent board, something sadly lacking for the past three or so years. I think the Board realise they have been negligent and have ruined the club they love, and are looking for the right skills (and money to repay their loans) from a consortium to take the club forward again
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite] Does make me wonder though, is there a reason why we haven't said they will be released, when it's clear they will be?

Maybe because once you say that so and so are leaving the next obvious question is "so who is staying?" and while I agree that I can't see anyone keeping Weaver or Toddy on other players ie Holland, Wright, Yussef there might be more of a decision to make. (go, go, stay, IMHO BTW).
  • Options
    I started this thread on May 28th and it seems that things have not changed one iota !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]I started this thread on May 28th and it seems that things have not changed one iota !

Are you panicking yet?
  • Options
    Yep your right Shootershill none the wiser since the thread was started do they cae about us as fans i used to think they did lol
  • Options
    done panicing, now resigned to ship going down, miraculously being saved by large lifeboat, or somehow staying afloat
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    started panicking when we let curbs go since then it has been shite.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: boogica[/cite]started panicking when we let curbs go since then it has been shite.

same here but it has been worse than shite
  • Options
    About 5.00pm this afternoon.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]About 5.00pm this afternoon.[/quote]

why 5.00pm this afternoon wots appening asa£
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]About 5.00pm this afternoon.

Yep
  • Options
    5.OOPM NOTHINGS APPENING PROBABLY ANOTHER LOAD OF SHITE .
  • Options
    I think the feeling SoundAs was expressing that if nothing has happened by 5pm today it might be looking bleak. A week has passed since the "statement" from the club.
  • Options
    LOOKED BLEAK 4 AGES NOW JUST WANT IT OVER AND DONE WITH THEN WE CAN PANICK PROPERLY.
  • Options
    I thought I was done with panicking, then the news ablout Fortune (if true) I am back to panicking.
  • Options
    So even Fortune is heading for the lifeboat. Bailey and Racon must now be seriously considering their options.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This is ridiculous. How many on here have bought a house? How long did it take from offer to moving in? Last time I did it, it took the best part of 5 months, and that was for a simple house with a small mortgage. Yet everybody here expects the sale of a multi-million pound business to just happen overnight.

You'll point to other clubs, not realising that there were months of behind the scenes work done, with accompanying rumours, and that we simply didn't see them because they weren't about our club.

So, if you're panicking, then your seriously over-reacting, It's just a football club, and complicated business deals take a lot of time to sort out.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: randy andy[/cite]This is ridiculous. How many on here have bought a house? How long did it take from offer to moving in? Last time I did it, it took the best part of 5 months, and that was for a simple house with a small mortgage. Yet everybody here expects the sale of a multi-million pound business to just happen overnight.

You'll point to other clubs, not realising that there were months of behind the scenes work done, with accompanying rumours, and that we simply didn't see them because they weren't about our club.

So, if you're panicking, then your seriously over-reacting, It's just a football club, and complicated business deals take a lot of time to sort out.

Many of your points are undoubtedly true but the inabilty of this deal to a timely conclusion is SERIOUSLY comprimising the current season. Now I realise that the future of the club is also on the line but a further relegation would endanger that even more. If and I know its an if Bailey and Jonjo also depart and Parkinsons hands are tied to loans and free transfers then I believe relegation is a possibility this year !
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    [cite]Posted By: randy andy[/cite]

Over reacting thats a load of BS in my opinion it is not just a football club yes in the wider scale of life and death and redundancy, mortgages it is

but it is more than just a throw away remark like its just a football club, to most it has been a major part in their childhood their adolecense and adulthood, and sometimes it means more to others,

I agree it may be complicated but there is an urgency about it that needs resolution before this season starts and that is just days away
  • Options
    I'm done with panicking, now resigned to the fact that nothing is gonna happen and the main aspiration this season will be to remain in League 1.
  • Options
    I think the point is Fortune going and will be hard to replace, longer it takes the more this will happen
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Many of your points are undoubtedly true but the inabilty of this deal to a timely conclusion is SERIOUSLY comprimising the current season. Now I realise that the future of the club is also on the line but a further relegation would endanger that even more. If and I know its an if Bailey and Jonjo also depart and Parkinsons hands are tied to loans and free transfers then I believe relegation is a possibility this year !

Yeah, if it doesn't go through soon we're in serious trouble on the pitch. Without Fortune or Randolph signed up we have one senior goalkeeper and one centre back. We need a new striker as well. That's a minimum of three players we need to get in, plus another centre back, and we're running out of time. First game is in just over 2 weeks time and there are no signs that it could go through very soon. In fact with Fortune being linked with Sheff Utd and apparently rejecting a contract, it looks like there's more chance of it falling through.

If it falls through, we'll probably have to sell at least a couple of Bailey, Racon, Sam and Shelvey. If we do we'll then need to replace them, and you can be almost certain that any replacements won't be as good.

If all of that happens, we'll again have an unbalanced squad, probably a lack of confidence and struggle. It's not the money, new investment, clearing debts, new ideas or even getting in a new manager that's the issue at the moment. It's the very short term we've got to look at because we simply have to strengthen the squad and keep the better players if we're going to stop the decline.

If the takeover doesn't go through we could have a very poor unbalanced squad, losing confidence as the better players leave. If that happens I can easily see us in a relegation battle again.
  • Options
    What will this signal to the likes of Bailey, Shelvey and Racon ? Why commit yourselves to a 3rd teir club that has no money and no chance. Can`t help feeling that this has something to do with the failure of our takeover. Hope I`m wrong.
  • Options
    Looks bleak with no takeover which seems (subjectively) more & more likely not to happen.
  • Options
    Well at least no one thinks "we're far too good/big to go down"
  • Options
    The difference is he's out of contract, and has failed to be persuaded a deal is going through in enough time or that the money would be right, we don't know either way..