Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Peter Clarke

edited May 2009 in General Charlton
Charlton are closing in on Southend's out of contract Peter Clarke according to today's Southend Echo.

27 year old centre back Clarke, has played 150 times for Southend and is available on a free after failing to agree a new contract with Southend.

He is well respected in this part of the world and was voted player of the year last season. Could be a good signing!

Comments

• i said we should go for him on another thread about free players as from also being from Southend area have seen a bit of him.

think would be a good signing for league 1 as has played and excelled in it and knows the stikers we will be up against.
  • Their player of the season but leaving. Sounds like Nicky Bailey.

Didn't he score the equaliser for Southend against Chelsea?
  • South London Press has the same story this morning - apparently on wages of "around £2,200 a week" at Southend, which sounds quite a precise figure!
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Their player of the season but leaving. Sounds like Nicky Bailey.

Didn't he score the equaliser for Southend against Chelsea?

I believe he did.

Are Southend our new feeder club (taking over from Ipswich)? We'll be signing Sankofa and Walker back next.
  • [cite]Posted By: AllLeftFoot[/cite]South London Press has the same story this morning - apparently on wages of "around £2,200 a week" at Southend, which sounds quite a precise figure!

we'll have to remember that for when he's signed and playing crap. 'that clarke is on £2,200 a week and he's rubbish'. ;0)
  • [cite]Posted By: AllLeftFoot[/cite]South London Press has the same story this morning - apparently on wages of "around £2,200 a week" at Southend, which sounds quite a precise figure!

Speaking personally, I'd be happy with wages of around £2,200 a week.

Would make a huge difference to my life........ (!)

But then Peter Clarke is no doubt a better (and younger!) footballer than me, lol

:o)
  • At least he would be on a free. When we signed Bailey, Southend included a 20% sell on fee in the contract.
  • Never hear dof him but I suspect anyone we are linked with this year I wouldn't of heard. We need defenders, on a free.
  • A mate who is a Blackpool fan describes Peter Clarke as 'quality'.

Clarke is ex-Everton and moved from Blackpool to Southend to 'better himself' apparently.
  • Not seen him play, but he's the kind of player we need. Available on a free, a good League One defender, not far off his peak, as said their player of the year, probably good enough for the Championship.

As said he was at Everton, did make a few first team appearances. Experienced, played for Blackpool before Southend. Wikipedia says he was Blackpool's captain.

I'm pretty sure we must at the very least be considering him, we're surely aware (as are a lot of other clubs no doubt) of the better League One players with expiring contracts.
    [cite]Posted By: AllLeftFoot[/cite]South London Press has the same story this morning - apparently on wages of "around £2,200 a week" at Southend, which sounds quite a precise figure!

I know most people don't take it seriously at all, but the FM db says £1,900 a week, so very similar to he's certainly affordable.
  • Sponsored links:

• Just looked on the Shrimpers forum and they're not very happy about losing him.
  • Great I hope this comes off as it will be nice having another ex Everton at the back. Oh Eddie Youds.....
  • Southend forum thread on him.

Seems he's not a dominant centre back, and they have Adam Barrett who they say is very similar anyway.

I wouldn't call Hudson or Fortune dominant centre backs either, anyone know what type of centre back this Llera is?
  • Sodje and Fortune would be ideal IF we could afford them.
  • Huddersfield reportedly in for him as well today. As he's a northener, he might fancy a move further up country.
  • [cite]Posted By: Essex_Al[/cite]Huddersfield reportedly in for him as well today. As he's a northener, he might fancy a move further up country.

My Southend mole tells me he has signed for them
  • Apparently he had talked about moving back up north.
  • If you hold Iain Dowie's map the right way up you will find Charlton is North of Southend (just)!
  • in the star today that we have won the race to sign clarke and the defender from MK Dons.
  • [cite]Posted By: roseandcrown[/cite]in the star today that we have won the race to sign clarke and the defender from MK Dons.

That would be nice...but as we don't know whats happening with regards to the club and any potential take over i can't see any sigings taking place just yet
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2009
    [cite]Posted By: addick1965[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: roseandcrown[/cite]in the star today that we have won the race to sign clarke and the defender from MK Dons.

That would be nice...but as we don't know whats happening with regards to the club and any potential take over i can't see any sigings taking place just yet

i do tend to agree with you but surley it should be business as usaul until it is all confirmed.
  • [cite]Posted By: roseandcrown[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: addick1965[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: roseandcrown[/cite]in the star today that we have won the race to sign clarke and the defender from MK Dons.

i do tend to agree with you but surley it should be business as usaul until it is all confirmed.

I can understand us looking for players and being linked with them but as for signing them when we dont know who's going to be in the dugout next season seems a little strange which is why i take stories like this with a pinch of salt...or maybe things are starting to move...shareholders watch out for your postman maybe?
  • What do you know "Postie"............

;-)
  • [cite]Posted By: roseandcrown[/cite]in the star today that we have won the race to sign clarke and the defender from MK Dons.

Clarke is going back up North.
  • [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]What do you know "Postie"............

;-)

Sadly i know nothing MOG...we are all going to have to wait a bit longer to find out what happens in the next instalment of CAFC
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]

Clarke is going back up North.

That sounds very final AFKA?
  • Because it is !
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Because it is !

Prove it
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Because it is !

I only asked... i'll go away now :(
  • LOL, short and sharp mood today !