Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Plane goes missing off the radar

edited June 2009 in Not Sports Related
French plane heading to Paris from Rio has gone missing off the radar and no news from it 216 people on board. Doesn't sound good.

Comments

• Options
    This poster says a silent prayer.
  • Options
    My wife is due to be flying back on pretty much the same route from Brazil to Paris tonight, also on an Air France plane.

Have to say that my heart skipped a few beats when I saw the news, until I realised she won't have left yet.

All very unsettling though, and horrendous for those with friends and family on board.
  • Options
    Oh shit ALF - Sorry mate....
  • Options
    Im sorry but how the fuck can you lose a plane that big?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: NathanPrior[/cite]Im sorry but how the fuck can you lose a plane that big?

The Atlantic is a pretty big place...
  • Options
    All fine, although whether her flight will still happen tonight is another matter.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: NathanPrior[/cite]Im sorry but how the fuck can you lose a plane that big?

IF that was an attempt at humour then not funny mate.
  • Options
    Surely a ship or something would of seen it
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: NathanPrior[/cite]Surely a ship or something would of seen it
    And known which flight it was?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AllLeftFoot[/cite]My wife is due to be flying back on pretty much the same route from Brazil to Paris tonight, also on an Air France plane.

Have to say that my heart skipped a few beats when I saw the news, until I realised she won't have left yet.

All very unsettling though, and horrendous for those with friends and family on board.

Ouch ALF...it might not be a bad idea for her to cancel/change her flight and spend a few days more out there to let the situation settle....I think I'd be thinking along those lines if it were me!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

bloody hell Nathan did you do Geography at school ? The Atlantic is a pretty damn big ocean, you could go for days and not see another ship so unless the plane happened to land on top of one it doesn't really surprise me that no-one saw it. Jeez.
  • Options

I recommend you go onto the internet, take a look at a globe - look for a large expanse of blue stuff labelled Atlantic Ocean. You can't miss it - it's very large.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AllLeftFoot[/cite]My wife is due to be flying back on pretty much the same route from Brazil to Paris tonight, also on an Air France plane.

Ouch ALF...it might not be a bad idea for her to cancel/change her flight and spend a few days more out there to let the situation settle....I think I'd be thinking along those lines if it were me!

Would agree, personally I'd leave it a day or two before returning.
  • Options
    Nathan,

are you really as stupid as you pretend (this, the having a baby thing) or is it just an act?
  • Options
    The flight number is AF 447.
  • Options
    If a plane goes down it's naturaly lost off the radar....but not neccessarily lost completely.
    The word 'lost' doesn't mean it's actually lost as such.... sadly they probably know, pretty much, exactly where it went down.
  • Options
    Any news ?
  • Options
    Nathan your attempt at humour is becoming increasingly in bad taste mate,have a think before you post.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Nathan,

are you really as stupid as you pretend (this, the having a baby thing) or is it just an act?
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]Nathan your attempt at humour is becoming increasingly in bad taste mate,have a think before you post.
    Henry, Steve - et. al

Don't feed the troll.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]

Would agree, personally I'd leave it a day or two before returning.

Wouldn't now be the safest time to fly that route ? They will be extra carefull (not that they aren't anyway) now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wouldn't now be the safest time to fly that route ? They will be extra carefull (not that they aren't anyway) now.

You could argue that lightning won't strike twice...

It's likely though that Air France and other Airlines will suspend use of that particular type of plane until they discover what the fault is.
  • Options
    by all accounts they got a message from the plane saying they were having short circuit problems due to high winds or something like that and not heard since then.
  • Options
    Not looking good then is it.

I'm sure we won't be affected but we're due to fly home tomorrow with North West, part of the KLM/Air France/Delta group...
  • Options
    oh yeah think of yourself not of the 216 people that could be dead how bloody selfish LOL.

Reports now say it was struck by Lightning.
  • Options
    Problem for air controllers is that its not actually radar they use but a signal sent from from the plane which shows height, speed and therefore if they lose an aircraft from their screens its not actually where it went down but where it stopped transmitting the signal. It could have carried on flying for 100s of miles even with no power.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]oh yeah think of yourself not of the 216 people that could be dead how bloody selfish LOL.

Reports now say it was struck by Lightning.

It must have been one hell of a lightning strike....air craft are well protected these days against that very thing.
  • Options
    Nathan....Stop making an arse of yourself on here! you do it enough on Addickted!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Eddickted[/cite]Nathan....Stop making an arse of yourself on here! you do it enough on Addickted!

totally agree
  • Options
    Any news on the plane yet ?
    Feeling so,so sad for all those people waiting for loved-ones at Paris airport......
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]Any news on the plane yet ?
    Feeling so,so sad for all those people waiting for loved-ones at Paris airport......
    Nothing other than it went down during a storm and was suffering electrical problems, so most likely was hit by lightning. Couldn't have happened in a worse place - slap in the middle of the Atlantic, making it extremely difficult for them to locate any survivors (if there are any). Nightmare.