Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Plane goes missing off the radar

2»

Comments

• Options
    Horrific. I hate flying even though I know it's safer than driving.

Remember a couple of weeks before we went on Honeymoon to Dominican a German plane got struck by lightning off the coast of the island, it crashed with no survivors. Horrible.

Plane should have been fitted with an emergency beacon so the should locate any wreckage fairly soon.

RIP
  • Options
    How sad and pathetic(I use that word as a sad one not as any criticism) to get yourself off to the airport in the forlorne hope that just 'maybe' your loved one/loved ones have survived or that it's all a big mistake or that they'd missed the flight or changed the flight...how utterly sad....we'd all do the same with the same inevitable result!
    God bless them.
  • Options
    Sorry to be vague but aren't planes fitted with "GPS" (I think its called) like cars & phones......?
  • Options
    Few years back flew out to our yearly Thailand trip ------------storms over Europe,then the Indian monsson was late and the Burmese/Thai monsoon early !!! they had to stop serving food 3 times----------film went off twice. Naffing frightening. This was the year we flew from Bangkok to Krabi a domestic flight right thrugh the monsoon ------------------------F**KING hell --- my Mrs who is a budhist says as we get offthe plane "i thought we would die !" said as matter of factly like "whats for tea?".

Watched the news and the media are all over the place re the relatives in the airports ---awful
  • Options
    I had family killed a few years back in Cuba.
    Go's without saying I know what the relatives are going through now and for the foreseable future. This and any air crash brings back very dark days for me and my family.
  • Options
    Saw a press conference broadcast live from Rio. One of the reporters asked the AF rep to confirm reports that family members had received texts from passengers on board. Chilling, if true.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]Saw a press conference broadcast live from Rio. One of the reporters asked the AF rep to confirm reports that family members had received texts from passengers on board. Chilling, if true.

Completely untrue.

How would a mobile phone pick up a signal at 35,000ft over the middle of the Atlantic?

Most mobile phone transmitters only transmit a few miles (10 - 20) at best AFAIK.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]Sorry to be vague but aren't planes fitted with "GPS" (I think its called) like cars & phones......?

Your (or the plane's) GPS only recieves signals, doesn't transmit.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]Saw a press conference broadcast live from Rio. One of the reporters asked the AF rep to confirm reports that family members had received texts from passengers on board. Chilling, if true.

Completely untrue.

How would a mobile phone pick up a signal at 35,000ft over the middle of the Atlantic?

Most mobile phone transmitters only transmit a few miles (10 - 20) at best AFAIK.

Although some airlines have recently installed "on board transmitters" for use while flying but of course in this case I'm sure that this function failed along with every other function on the plane.

RIP to all of those poor souls on board.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: vancouveraddick[/cite]

Completely untrue.

Although some airlines have recently installed "on board transmitters" for use while flying but of course in this case I'm sure that this function failed along with every other function on the plane.

Ah yes - apologes to Chizz. I didn't think of this option!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: vancouveraddick[/cite]

Completely untrue.

Ah yes - apologes to Chizz. I didn't think of this option!
    I imagined the texts might have been sent as the flight passed mid-Atlantic islands. But on reflection, it's probably a less-than-honest Brazilian reporter trying to create a story.
  • Options
    They have now found some debris "thankfully"...

RIP to all those have died
  • Options
    needs to be time to grieve and the finding of the airline can offer some answers to why and how imo

RIP
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    I was on a plane once that got hit by lightning on my way to Faliraki, the plane had to do an emergency landing in Paris and there was smoke coming through the cabin and the smell of burning, don't think I've ever been so scared in all my life!

Feel for all those people that have lost family members, unbelievable that it's probably over 200 dead!
  • Options
    From BBC

It could not be immediately confirmed that the debris came from the Airbus.

Officials, he said, needed "a piece that might have a serial number, some sort of identification" to be sure it came from the missing jet.
  • Options
    I must admit to being a bit shocked that in this day and age planes are evidently not fitted with some sort of system that enables the airline to know exactly where it is at any given time. I mean, why couldn't they find the thing almost instantly?

Aside from the fact that a plane is a multi-million pound asset for the airline, this is peoples lives we are talking about.

RIP
  • Options
    This is a dreadful thing, it really is. Apparently the plane may have been caught in a mid-Atlantic electrical storm. It is also worth remembering that these accidents happen extremely rarely though, I dread to think of all the long haul flights I've done.

RIP.