Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

It's the 60th anniversary of the book being published.

Huge contribution to the English language.

Big Brother

Thought Police

Thought Crime

Doublethink

Newspeak

Prole

Orwellian

Who's read it/not read it.

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2009
    whose though police?? Do you mean the Thought police?

and yes fantastic book, bout the only one had to read at sch and have read again since, very close to how life has gone really, not quite so extreme mind
  • Options
    One of my favourite books.

Years ahead of its time and I think if it was published today would be regarded as (an albeit exaggerated) social commentary.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: scruffle[/cite]whose though police?? Do you mean the Thought police?

and yes fantastic book, bout the only one had to read at sch and have read again since, very close to how life has gone really, not quite so extreme mind

D'oh edited
  • Options
    Was the film Metropalis based on his book ? if you ever get the chance its a silent film but well worth watching. If you ever see a large open plan office with many people siting behind their pc screen --it reminds me of metropolis.

read the book and sadly nearer to todays sciety than i would like.
  • Options
    I read it. And preferred the book to the film released, appropriately in 1984.

1984 is one of two classic dystopian novels: I'm more of a fan of Brave New World. Along with 1905 and 1947, 1984 is an important year for Charlton fans - our club was, for a time, officially known as Charlton Athletic (1984) Ltd.

I think 1984 lends itself better to radio as a genre, than film. However it's great to see the spin-off TV show is back on screens tonight!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Was the film Metropalis based on his book ? if you ever get the chance its a silent film but well worth watching. If you ever see a large open plan office with many people siting behind their pc screen --it reminds me of metropolis.

read the book and sadly nearer to todays sciety than i would like.

If you mean the Fritz Lang film - that dates from the late 1920s and probably influenced Orwell (if at all).
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Was the film Metropalis based on his book ? if you ever get the chance its a silent film but well worth watching.
    No, Metropolis was released in 1927, 21 years before 1984 was written.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I think you'll find it is 60 years since it was published. I've read it every ten years since my first read of it in 1959, and watched how, in subtle ways, Orwell's vision has become more and more relevant. The Hate sessions directed towards Goldstein and Eurasia in the book is currently directed in the 'real world'towards Bin Laden and Islam. Fascinating and terrifying. Orwell knew that the best way to enslave a people is by making them scared out of all proportion to any real danger
  • Options
    Fantastic book.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]It's the 50th anniversary of the book being published.

Big Brother

Thought Police

Thought Crime

Doublethink

Newspeak

Prole

Orwellian

You also forgot Room 101...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]It's the 50th anniversary of the book being published.

Big Brother

Thought Police

Thought Crime

Doublethink

Newspeak

Prole

Orwellian

You also forgot Room 101...
    No-one forgets Room 101

;-)
  • Options
    never read it some one give me a brief run down and i may pop out and get it
  • Options
    Yes............... a long while ago mind you!
  • Options
    literary masterpiece.

read anthony burgess's 1985 for an excellent critique of 1984, although his attempt at a fictional response in the 2nd half of the book is very weak.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Nadou[/cite]I think you'll find it is 60 years since it was published. I've read it every ten years since my first read of it in 1959, and watched how, in subtle ways, Orwell's vision has become more and more relevant. The Hate sessions directed towards Goldstein and Eurasia in the book is currently directed in the 'real world'towards Bin Laden and Islam. Fascinating and terrifying. Orwell knew that the best way to enslave a people is by making them scared out of all proportion to any real danger

Interesting point about the hate being directed towards Bin Laden and Islam but one I think I would have to strongly disagree with. However, it is a very long time since I read the book so I don't feel equiped to engage in a discussion about that particular plot line. But, I do believe that Bin Laden and the world's fundamental Islamic groups pose a very real threat to my life and my freedom. I don't believe that this threat has been exaggerated or manufactured by our political rulers.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]never read it some one give me a brief run down and i may pop out and get it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nineteen_Eighty-Four

Might not want to read past first paragrah as it may spoil it. You wont regret buying it and seems more relevant today than ever.
  • Options
    Read it at school, and they then showed us the film.
    Cue gigling 14 year olds during the sex scene !!!

Great book - I like the passage that says;
    Charlton have not been relegated.
    Charlton have always been in the top flight.
    All hail Charltons successes.
  • Options
    Published in 1949, this year is 2009, 60 years?

Big Brother

Thought Police

Thought Crime

Doublethink

Newspeak

Prole

Orwellian

• Options
    that will teach me not to try and post from my phone.

Yes, 60th year and I forgot room 101.

Nadou, where have you been? I thought meeting AFKA might have put you off CL : - )

I thought it was as much a commentary on war time and post war UK and the cold war than a prediction of the future.

What aspects of the book do you think GH and Rodney, do you think are close to the truth? Camera's watching us? What else

Brave new world is also a very good book
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    A fantastic exercise in prediction and not totally inaccurate either,I wonder what George Orwell would make of Britain in 2009?
    TV Version with Peter Cushing as Winston Smith and the film version with John Hurt as the same.
    Not forgetting David Bowie's conceptual work Diamond Dogs based very heavily on 1984.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We had to read a book called "the Handmaids Tale" at school which I hated and have always thought that 1984 was kinda like that, would I be right ? That's why I've always avoided reading it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: se9addick[/cite]We had to read a book called "the Handmaids Tale" at school which I hated and have always thought that 1984 was kinda like that, would I be right ? That's why I've always avoided reading it.

Sort of. Never read Handmaidens tale but I think it has a similar theme ie it's about a dystopian USA. 1984 is about Britain (Airstrip One) and Orwell is a great writer so I wouldn't let the other book stop you reading 1984.
  • Options
    The thing that I learnt from it was this: when the Thought Police turn up outside your door, just think "I'm not here" and they'll go away.

:}
  • Options
    1984 is up there with Joseph Hellers Catch 22 as one of my all time favourite reads.

"Down and out in Paris and London" by Orwell is also a facinating book. Could never get into the Handmaids Tale (Margret Attwood?)
  • Options
    Yeah Handmaids Tale is by Attwood, had to do it for A-Levels and hated it.

Think I'll give 1984 a go.
  • Options
    Along with Animal Farm , Orwell did political/ social developments with great insight.
    Orwell , I suppose you would describe as a liberal and in defence of the individual against the encroachment of the state,
    was clearly very prophetic.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Remember creeping downstairs and trying to watch it through the gap at the side of the door of our front room when it was broadcast as a play by the BBC on a Sunday night in the mid-fifties. Tellies only had small screens then and ours had a sort of golfish bowl tied to it to magnify the picture. It was in grainy black and white and performed live which I later realised gave it a great authenticity and realism. Peter Cushing was marvellous and remained one of my favourite actors . Anyway, my dad caught me and told me I wasn't old enough to watch it but he said he had the book which he would let me read as soon as he thought I was old enough, which he did when I was 11 or 12. A fine, thought provoking piece of work which I re-read at least once a year. Sorry to have rambled but it really is a vivid memory.
  • Options
    Its a great read, but have to say i prefer Brave New World.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BrightonAddick[/cite]Its a great read, but have to say i prefer Brave New World.

Read down this thread, and was about to write what Brighton did. Agreed, although 1984 is also a masterpiece.
  • Options
    1984, a great year. Glad you started the thread.
    I was 19 that year and had a wonderful time. I was settled in my first full time job at Barclays Bank, I had a good steady realtionship going with a sexy older woman, and I was playing a very good standard of cricket.
    Music was good too then. I was out virtually every night somewhere or other. I weighed about 12 stone and probably had more disposable income than I do today!!