Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2»

Comments

• Options
    Having read and re read Animal Farm, which I loved, I started 1984 but can't say I liked it much. I don't think it is particularly well written, I don't think the view of the future it foretold is that prescient. Yes its an allegorical view of dystopia (not a word that Orwell/Blair was familiar with), but not a particularly brilliant one. I am perfectly prepared to accept that my view is wrong.
  • Options
    Look a little bit closer guys...... we are basically there....
  • Options
    One of my favourite pieces of literature. Orwell was a master.
  • Options
    1984 is genius. As is The Handmaid's Tale.
  • Options
    It's scary how we've been sleepwalking into an Orwellian nightmare.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Alex Wright[/cite]It's scary how we've been sleepwalking into an Orwellian nightmare.

its by design mate....

totalitarian tiptoe...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mascot88[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Alex Wright[/cite]It's scary how we've been sleepwalking into an Orwellian nightmare.

its by design mate....

totalitarian tiptoe...

But are we?

In what way does our current life mirror the book?
  • Options
    In a mirror image >

Big Brother doesn't watch us, we all watch Big Brother!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: ChicagoAddick[/cite]In a mirror image >

Big Brother doesn't watch us, we all watch Big Brother![/quote]

Oh but Big Brother does watch us. In almost every aspect of our lives - computers, mobile phones, cctv, credit and debit cards - information is being gathered and stored about our activities. And the government - in the name of our security - wants to extend the scope of the invasion of privacy.
  • Options
    The other day I was posting some words of wisdom on CL and mentioned my daughter's forthcoming wedding. Within 5 seconds a large advert appeared advertising wedding dresses! How does that happen? Google must store shedloads of info on us but who looks at it?