Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Low attendances predicted - FACT!

edited June 2009 in General Charlton
I've just seen a trade press release regarding the printing contract for programmes for the next two seasons:

"Each of the 23 matches for the 2009-10 season will require around 4,000 programmes of up to 80 pages to be printed"

That figure will be flexible but 4000...FFS!!!!

Comments

• Options
    I'd be interested to know what the percentage is of programmes - people sales

I'd imagine maybe 40%? But that's purely a shot in the dark... I honestly can't see our attendance being sub 10,000 based on that maths
  • Options
    Are they still doing that ridiculous £5 programme at the first game?
  • Options
    Not just low gates

im sure the decline of the football programme has been happening for a few years now across football as a whole.
  • Options
    up until two seasons ago my mate and I bought a programme for every home game. We then realised that half of the content at least was on the net either before or after the game and so we were basically wasting our money so we stopped buying. One of teh best decisions I have made. I'd be surprised if programme sales were even 20% on attendance, so 4,000 isn't too shoddy.
  • Options
    £3 for info, a lot of which you can get for free on the net? 4k could be pushing it!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]up until two seasons ago my mate and I bought a programme for every home game. We then realised that half of the content at least was on the net either before or after the game and so we were basically wasting our money so we stopped buying.

Same here. Couldn't even tell you how much our programmes are these days. I'd buy the first one that doubles up as the yearbook though if they do that this year.
  • Options
    Yes, plus a lot of families wouldn't need to buy more than one per family.

I've stopped buying them - all the info on the website and cannot see the point of collecting them anymore. I don't think I'll ever want to read the Tuesday night programme of a Charlton v random northern team ever again.
  • Options
    the progam is a MUST buy cos it gives you the official away folllowings teams bring to us and we bring to them ... none of this we took 1500 bollox it's there in writing ......
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]up until two seasons ago my mate and I bought a programme for every home game. We then realised that half of the content at least was on the net either before or after the game and so we were basically wasting our money so we stopped buying.

Same here. Couldn't even tell you how much our programmes are these days. I'd buy the first one that doubles up as the yearbook though if they do that this year.

the yearbook will be out at Xmas once they have decided who the Manager is.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I stopped buying programmes when I went to university and started going to far more away matches than i do home games.

At home you can get most of the information (and actually up to date info given the lag in printing of 2-3 days from the internet)

Away you get the same misinformed 2 pages up and down the country. I normally go to 15-20 away games a season. At £3 a throw, not buying a programme at each game saves me £45-60, that's a ticket and travel and a couple of beers for another away game, no brainer really.

Plus there's also the fact that I have about 80 odd years worth of CAFC programmes bursting out of my mum and dad's loft...

And a programme at Old Trafford or Anfield when we got an alright result might have been a good keepsake, not so to recollect a 5 goal drubbing at Blackpool!

p.s. oooah if that's the case then i'll just buy the last home game programme, numbers in the past aren't going to look any different by being repeated over and over again ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2009
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]

the yearbook will be out at Xmas once they have decided who the Manager is.
    I thought that was all being sorted out next Tuesday ;-)
  • Options
    Any idea what it was for last year CFW? That'll get us more of an idea of how much of a dip there's been.

Also, why would you specify it now? If we sell 13000 season tickets then I'd guess we'd need more than if we sell 8,000?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]Any idea what it was for last year CFW? That'll get us more of an idea of how much of a dip there's been.

Also, why would you specify it now? If we sell 13000 season tickets then I'd guess we'd need more than if we sell 8,000?
    we're not printing it and didn't last year so I wouldn't know
  • Options
    Here's a suggestion, on line programme, delivered to your inbox on the Friday which can be printed. Or if you an say an iPhone, you buy an subscribtion based app, and get it downloaded to your phone every Saturday to read from there
  • Options
    Airman Brown is your man - am sure he put something up before about how few programmes we sold.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Here's a suggestion, on line programme, delivered to your inbox on the Friday which can be printed. Or if you an say an iPhone, you buy an subscribtion based app, and get it downloaded to your phone every Saturday to read from there
    No, no, no...it'll never catch on :-)
  • Options
    That prgo figure would suggest a 1 in 3, 1 in 4 programme sale, which is about where i would see it. Most people don't go alone so it would be unrealistic to translate an attendance to a sale.

As for an on line download, its a good idea but would not work. Most of the info is already available online, and most programme buyers do so either as a memento of their attendance, or because they collect them.
  • Options
    Season tickets will fall short of lasr season, by some way despite the quantity sold to date with many opting to pay on a game by game basis. A good start and decent run will bring many more back to the Valley, but any repeat of last season against league one opposition will see all but the hardenned fans not attending.

I like the printed programmes and would not be that interested in down loading.

They make great toilet reads.
  • Options
    was around 3000 last season...was discussed at a FF meet, I was quite surprised it was so low, but there again its not cheap to go to football in these uncertain times.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: colthe3rd[/cite]Are they still doing that ridiculous £5 programme at the first game?

The "ridiculous" £5 program for the first game is the only one I buy most seasons. My only request is that I would prefer it to be the first game after the transfer window closes so that all the late tranfers (and in the last few years there have been many) are included in the squad.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: sygonrima[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: colthe3rd[/cite]Are they still doing that ridiculous £5 programme at the first game?

The "ridiculous" £5 program for the first game is the only one I buy most seasons. My only request is that I would prefer it to be the first game after the transfer window closes so that all the late tranfers (and in the last few years there have been many) are included in the squad.

Just have to point out it's programme NOT program

I thank you
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    There are a few misunderstandings here.

Firstly, figures bandied around for programmes sold do not equal programmes printed and distributed. When I was last involved with it, about 1,500 used to disappear off the top for lounges, directors, press, boxes, guests, staff, players, etc. Some of these are sold as part of packages.

Back in 1997/98, we printed up to 13,000 for 20,000 crowds, but programme sales would vary dramatically depending on the circumstances of the game, the opposition and the weather. This could be as much as 50 per cent different for games against Wimbledon and Manchester United played before the same size crowd (and contrary to popular belief there is not a significant market for programmes away from the stadium, even against Man United).

I believe that Charlton sales have held up better than most other clubs (London clubs traditionally sell a lot more programmes than provincial clubs anyway, which might be related to the weakness of the local media coverage). However, there is no doubt that sales now are a fraction of what they were ten years ago, for all the obvious reasons. I don't think it reflects on the quality of the programme, especially when you look at the awful nonsense published by the club in the 1980s.

A print run of 4,000 may well be realistic for a crowd of 15,000 these days. You certainly cannot read into such a number that the club expects crowds that are much smaller than that.
  • Options
    Thanks for clarifying, Rick, interesting to see how the trends have changed over the years. I've never been aware of how many programmes the club commissions so maybe that's why the figure of 4k threw me a little.

Every sector whose core business is the printed word has seen similar changes over the last few years and we've seen massive changes in run lengths and gbuying patterns.

Wish I'd known the run was that low, I know a very good printer a stone's throw from the ground with exactly the same setup as the current incumbent, 24/7, for whom a run like that is meat and drink!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: C_f_W[/cite]Thanks for clarifying, Rick, interesting to see how the trends have changed over the years. I've never been aware of how many programmes the club commissions so maybe that's why the figure of 4k threw me a little.

Every sector whose core business is the printed word has seen similar changes over the last few years and we've seen massive changes in run lengths and gbuying patterns.

Wish I'd known the run was that low, I know a very good printer a stone's throw from the ground with exactly the same setup as the current incumbent, 24/7, for whom a run like that is meat and drink!

Not the one you work for then : - )

Think the Program/me used to be printed locally as some enterprising chap/crook used to bring a box into the lib club to sell at half the cover price.
  • Options
    If you want to see how online technology is affecting (and in some cases is enhancing) the magazine world check this out:

Monkey Magazine

Not the same as having the mag in your hand but it's pretty impressive and loads of publishers are using the technology
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Not the one you work for then : - )
    no comment ;-)
    Think the Program/me used to be printed locally as some enterprising chap/crook used to bring a box into the lib club to sell at half the cover price.
    Given one particular local company who did used to print the programme, that wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. Shame if that did contribute to the decision to print it further afield.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    [cite]Posted By: C_f_W[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Not the one you work for then : - )
    no comment ;-)
    Given one particular local company who did used to print the programme, that wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. Shame if that did contribute to the decision to print it further afield.

I believe an upright and honest member of the fan base may have brought it to the attention of Airman Brown and said criminality then ceased : - )
  • Options
    Excellent work
  • Options
    Working in the print business, it has become the norm that publishers push up the price and then loose circulation and that reduced the demand and the print price goes up again.

The cost of production is also the same wether you print 10 copies or 10 million, it is the print costs, the paper, and the distrubtion costs.

A few years ago the programme used to be printed by Morgan print, that became yellow publishing If I am right. I used to use the printers they produced a good quality product.

I have no idea of the run or the cost. But the distribution would have been minimal as they were based in Anchor and Hope Lane. Last time I walked past a couple of months ago there was a for sale sign in the vacinity, and they have probably gone bust. Not sure how the programme is put together but I am sure the communications department I assume helps edit his.

In fact I worked with Peter Cordwell years ago on the football handbook, and he used to edit the Bexley league magazine which I think they dropped a couple of years ago, I assume again cost.
    What Charlton could do is give vouchers to all season ticket holders, for a free programme to stimulate sales.It could also try a number of marketing ideas, giving a subscription away as a prize in the draw etc.

The point is do the fans and the club value the programme. Is a programme needed now we have websites! Should it be monthly.......with all the games for that month.

Advertising is the key, probably linked to the website, pop ups etc. As I stated I love print, but as publishers tell me it is a dying industry! look at local papers........
  • Options
    Honestly think that programmes are a bit old hat now. Once essential but now just glossy printed rehashes of old stuff you have already read on the net ad nauseum (to be fair most magazines suffer this fate too). Maybe the way forward for programmes is to go a little more low tech, less pages (say around 20), lower quality paper, less colour and maybe more printed info and perhaps a cheaper cover price making a more desirable purchase for say £1.50. I'm sure that wouldn't happen though. As for that bolt on hand book.........