Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bexleyheath shop closed

edited June 2009 in General Charlton
Confirmation on the OS:

Charlton will temporarily close the club's retail outlet in Bexleyheath from the end of this week as the Addicks continue to examine ways to cut costs.

The decision has been made by club officials due to the economic climate, which is particularly affecting the retail sector and which has led to fewer shoppers visiting The Mall, where the outlet is located.

However, the shop, which has proved popular with fans wishing to purchasing match tickets without travelling to The Valley, may still re-open for special events, such as the launch of Charlton's new home and away kits later this summer.

Charlton managing director Stephen Kavanagh said: "Given the state of the retail sector at the moment, and the restructuring process on which we have embarked, it makes sense for us to close the Bexleyheath shop for the time being.

"The shop has proved extremely useful to the club. Not only has it given us another outlet from which to sell merchandise and tickets, it also offers a prominent presence away from The Valley in one of the heartlands of the club's support.

"However, given the current financial climate, we are having to re-evaluate everything we do, and with more and more fans purchasing tickets online, and also the availability of the online Superstore, mail-order and ticket phone hotlines, hopefully the impact will be minimal."

Charlton launched the Bexleyheath store in November 2006, when it became the first Addicks retail operation to open away from The Valley. The club later made it possible for supporters to also purchase home and away tickets.

Retail manager Michael Rea said: "Not only do we have to consider the rent for the outlet, we also have to take staffing costs into account, and the shop has to be as economically viable as possible.

"We have started to look for a new tenant to replace us, and we are also looking at ways and talking with other partners and companies regarding space from which we can continue to sell tickets."

Comments

• Options
    It was only a matter of time.
  • Options
    the end is nigh
  • Options
    I can't remember ever seeing anyone in there the few times i've gone past it during the day.
  • Options
    Went in there last weekend and there was probably about 5 things left in the whole shop!
  • Options
    another nail in the charlton coffin.

the club superstore will be the next to go i reckon.
  • Options
    I wonder if we could staff it with volunteers?
  • Options
    The club will probably put it on ebay
  • Options
    At least we might win some games this season.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: tommo[/cite]At least we might win some games this season.

yep exciting times at the valley
  • Options
    someone told me Michael Rea is Chris Rea's brother, is this true ??

Secondly, how can we continue to employ Waggott, Kavanagh and Capelin on a combined 500k pa ? It beggers belief.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: tommo[/cite]At least we might win some games this season.

I think that's why they closed it down.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    i did hear that also large so i think it is true. We been on the road to hell every since he joined us.

you also have a point about having 3 at the top there.
  • Options
    we make newcastle look well managed
  • Options
    Ive never been impressed with the retail side....we have asked for Mr Rea to attend FF meetings but alas he has declined.

The Bexleyheath store was inevitable really.....however they should be looking to try and offload the rent....and that has to be significant.....at the moment they are just saving on manning costs and a bit of electricity....not a bad site though, although no good to me as there is a stationer nearby already I believe.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]someone told me Michael Rea is Chris Rea's brother, is this true ??
    yes it is.

[cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]

Secondly, how can we continue to employ Waggott, Kavanagh and Capelin on a combined 500k pa ? It beggers belief.

What beggers belief is that you were told that they were NOT on they figure yet you still state it on here as fact.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]someone told me Michael Rea is Chris Rea's brother, is this true ??
    yes it is.

What beggers belief is that you were told that they were NOT on they figure yet you still state it on here as fact.

I thought when someone suggested that was the figure the three of them were on combined, although not confirmed as totally correct it was indicated to be not far off. If I have got that wrong I apologise and need my ears syringing.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Significant action if you ask me.Puts the takeover rumour to bed.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Telnotinoz[/cite]Ive never been impressed with the retail side....we have asked for Mr Rea to attend FF meetings but alas he has declined.

The Bexleyheath store was inevitable really.....however they should be looking to try and offload the rent....and that has to be significant.....at the moment they are just saving on manning costs and a bit of electricity....not a bad site though, although no good to me as there is a stationer nearby already I believe.

it does say that they are looking for a new tenant
  • Options
    yes it is.

I thought when someone suggested that was the figure the three of them were on combined, although not confirmed as totally correct it was indicated to be not far off. If I have got that wrong I apologise and need my ears syringing.

It was said it they were not on that much. There was no indication about how close or far away the guess was but there was an strong indication that the figure would be reducing soonish.

How much faith you put into that given the time elapsed since is up to you.
  • Options
    What a joke, a high percentage of charlton fans live in North Kent and have easy access to Bexleyheath rather than the Charlton club shop( find it hard to call it a superstore). I still cannot understand how such a well run club has become a shambles over the last two years.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]Significant action if you ask me.Puts the takeover rumour to bed.[/quote]

Why??

Just because a lose making store is shut good business sense if you ask me
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]someone told me Michael Rea is Chris Rea's brother, is this true ??

Secondly, how can we continue to employ Waggott, Kavanagh and Capelin on a combined 500k pa ? It beggers belief.[/quote]

Absolutely, you ever seen him, spitting image of his brother poor bloke
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]Significant action if you ask me.Puts the takeover rumour to bed.

Why??

Just because a lose making store is shut good business sense if you ask me

Think about it.If you were in the market for a football club,one of the main priorities would be good commercial oppurtunities to try and make some money.If a takeover was announced soon then think of the amount of merchandise we would probably shift off of the back of it.
    Just seems strange to close that avenue if we are about to be bought out.Why would it even come into the equation? We'd surely be looking to build more not shut any down.
  • Options
    A takeover won't get a flood off people shopping in the Bexleyheath store. I believe it was losing money for the last couple of years. Its only sustainable in the Premiership. We're skint so it has to close. I feel sorry for the staff that will lose their jobs.
  • Options
    To be fair the shop has never been a bustleing bussiness,Perhap's the overhead's outweigh the profit's,And it's just a genuine bussiness decision to close it.
  • Options
    yes it is.

It was said it they were not on that much. There was no indication about how close or far away the guess was but there was an strong indication that the figure would be reducing soonish.

How much faith you put into that given the time elapsed since is up to you.

Although it was said they were not on that much but I didn't get the impression it was far out. True that there was also a strong indication that it would be reducing soon and I believe it will but when I question. We were also told that certain other things were going to happen and what really beggars belief is that they havn't and yet we are ten weeks down the line.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WhenIwasLittleBoy[/cite]What a joke, a high percentage of charlton fans live in North Kent and have easy access to Bexleyheath rather than the Charlton club shop( find it hard to call it a superstore). I still cannot understand how such a well run club has become a shambles over the last two years.

We've been losing money for more than the last two years, the Parker and Bent money have covered over this.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite][quote aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0][cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: WhenIwasLittleBoy[/cite]What a joke, a high percentage of charlton fans live in North Kent and have easy access to Bexleyheath rather than the Charlton club shop( find it hard to call it a superstore). I still cannot understand how such a well run club has become a shambles over the last two years.[/quote]

We've been losing money for more than the last two years, the Parker and Bent money have covered over this.[/quote]

Every club makes a loss over a season, but if you look at where the club was three years ago to where we are now it is a total shambles and mismanagement of the highest order
  • Options
    MCS - draw up a business plan - get a loan and set up a printing company there.

Ginger Print.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]MCS - draw up a business plan - get a loan and set up a printing company there.

Ginger Print.

He cant, He's got a pub to run ;)