Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Narwich and Us

edited June 2009 in General Charlton
Narwich get relegated, last day of the season, whilst we knew we were down for months. Since 3rd May Narwich have :

fans get Chief Exec and Board Member ousted
review season, reappoint Gunn as Manager
appoint new Chief Exec, ex Fulham
sign three new players (maybe on'es we were after too)

We have :

?

Comments

• Options
    a good comparison that Murray and Chappel should answer at the Q&A ession
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]Narwich get relegated, last day of the season, whilst we knew we were down for months. Since 3rd May Narwich have :

So they have reappointed the manager that got them relegated and signed 3 players who I presume you are saying are very good (but I wonder if you know whether they are good or cack). I've certainly not heard of them.Great signings from Exeter, Hartlepool and MK Dons? Maybe ,maybe not.
    But they have ousted the chief executive and a board member. Boy have we got some catching up to do :-)
  • Options
    yeah they weren't recently relegated from the prem tho, and had almost their entire squad dismantled and replaced with tat.. actually that sounds even worse.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    hardly Gunn's fault they were relegated, he was only there a few games so hardly Parkyesque. Narwich and us are likely to be chasing similar players, probably one's none of us have really heard of, and they have signed three Bosman's already, possibly stealing a march on us. The point is they are more on the game than we appear to be at the momemt.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]Narwich get relegated, last day of the season, whilst we knew we were down for months. Since 3rd May Narwich have :

So they have reappointed the manager that got them relegated and signed 3 players who I presume you are saying are very good (but I wonder if you know whether they are good or cack). I've certainly not heard of them.
    But they have ousted the chief executive and a board member. Boy have we got some catching up to do :-)

We have :

?

hardly Gunn's fault they were relegated, he was only there a few games so hardly Parkyesque. Narwich and us are likely to be chasing similar players, probably one's none of us have really heard of, and they have signed three Bosman's already, possibly stealing a march on us. The point is they are more on the game than we appear to be at the momemt.

They've only stolen a march on us if we wanted to sign the 3 players( that I doubt if hardly any of us have heard of). Hopefully we're getting Llera that they wanted.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]hardly Gunn's fault they were relegated, he was only there a few games so hardly Parkyesque.

It's really starting to get on my nerves how much everyone is getting on Parkinson's back now.. I've sat here and read it for the past couple of weeks but I feel I need to speak up now. :)

First off, Bryan Gunn had 19 games in charge, not a few. But that's not the point I wanted to make. Everyone seems to be venting their frustration at Parkinson right now. It's obvious he's staying (which I'm pleased about) so what is all this negativity gonna do other than damage the club, it's not gonna benefit the team, or even yourselves in any way at all.

To be honest, I don't think Parkinson did a terrible job. Despite trying to stay optimistic, I always felt we were destined for League 1 before he was even given the position and to get the players playing as a team once again (which I felt he did a superb job of in the end) would have been my priority if I was in his shoes. Pardew ruined us, Parkinson is rebuilding. I don't buy the idea that Parkinson played a huge role in the Pardew set-up other than possibly in warm-ups and training, and we can take Parkinson's selection of Racon nearly every game during his reign so far compared to Pardew as an example of that.

We can't let him go now, there WERE improvements on the pitch. Results perhaps don't back that up but I just have a feeling in my gut that letting this man go would be a big mistake.
  • Options
    Sorry but Parkinson did do a terrible job...or at least no better a job than any of us on here could do.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Callumcafc[/cite]
    [cite]

To be honest, I don't think Parkinson did a terrible job. .

Please elaborate further.
  • Options
    Well said Callum.
  • Options
    oh well, if we let him go and he goes on to do well elsewhere then so be it. Wouldn't be as big a mistake as not replacing Pardew with a new broom like Derby, Forest and Watford did. If you are happy with Parky then I'm really pleased for you as you must be sitting there all optimistic and looking forward to the season.
    I personally think he did do a terrible job, he isn't the worst Manager in Charlton history for no reason, and I'm sitting thinking that with that tit in charge we are going nowhere, at least nowhere upwards. Oh well, time will tell.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2009
    He really didn't. Kelly Youga was a complete shambles towards the end of Pardew's reign, but he was gradually turned round under Parkinson and looked solid at centre back on the last day of the season and at left back the few home games before that.

He didn't get the results perhaps, but he got the players believing again, with a confidence to play football which boades well for the season ahead if he can bring in the players he wants.
  • Options
    Some good points Callum, especially about Gunn having 19 games or in fact half a season. Nice bit of spin there Large.

But for all the improvements which I agree were there we still weren't winning anywhere like enough games.

I like Parky and I still think he'll be a successful manager but maybe not with us. If he is still manager in August then I will want him to be a success because I want Charlton to be a success.
  • Options
    Results speak for themselves.

Abysmal run of results, negative tactics and got us relegated. And even if as you say he wasnt really involved in pardews bad management he should have had the nous to rectify what he had witnessed for all that time.

He didnt. Starting the season with him as manager is either the board putting two hands up and saying we havent got a scooby what we are doing or we dont want to spend another penny on managerial fiascos.

Cant remember feeling so depressed at the start of a campaign for a long time and 90% of that is cos its the same guy at the helm.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Callumcafc[/cite]He really didn't. Kelly Youga was a complete shambles towards the end of Pardew's reign, but he was gradually turned round under Parkinson and looked solid at centre back on the last day of the season and at left back the few home games before that.

He didn't get the results perhaps, but he got the players believing again, with a confidence to play football which boades well forr the season ahead if he can bring in the players he wants.

Spot on re Youga.

A guy who sits near me went to a fans meeting Youga attended and said that he had said he never knew what Pardew wanted from him. In those circumstances it is hardly surprising Kelly lost confidence.

Don't forget Pardew shunted him to Scunthorpe and only got him back because we had so many injuries. He then tried to claim the credit when Kelly played well on his return.

Callum you are largely right. Dowie started the ruination process, Les Reed was powerless to stop it and Pardew accelerated it. Parkinson has been left to try and pick up the pieces.

It should also not be forgotten that a lot of our better players like Parky which just might be the difference between them staying and going.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]Results speak for themselves.

Abysmal run of results, negative tactics and got us relegated. And even if as you say he wasnt really involved in pardews bad management he should have had the nous to rectify what he had witnessed for all that time.

That's a bit harsh, when you consider the last game and that this thread is about Norwich and us.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]

That's a bit harsh, when you consider the last game and that this thread is about Norwich and us.

Talking about the bigger picture. He is the worst manager we have had in terms of results and as much of a top guy he comes across as he isnt the right man for the job. He may do well elsewhere but he hasnt obviously hasnt got the chemistry with the current players to keep us out of the 3rd tier of english football.

Respect everyones opinion of course but i am actually really suprised at the level of apathy and acceptence about him still being in the job.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]It should also not be forgotten that a lot of our better players like Parky which just might be the difference between them staying and going.

Another point I wanted to make but forgot, thank you. :)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]

Parky was always on a loser given the money Dowie and Pardew spunked between them.

Hence Spring on a free was about all he could run to!
  • Options
    And what real money did Curbishley and Gritt have when they took over? Loads of managers inherit the damage that bad managers cause and turn things around.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]And what real money did Curbishley and Gritt have when they took over? Loads of managers inherit the damage that bad managers cause and turn things around.

Who says he can't still turn it around?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]And what real money did Curbishley and Gritt have when they took over? Loads of managers inherit the damage that bad managers cause and turn things around.

I'd have Curbs' babies (unless ohh ah beat me to it) but he and Gritty were given time. Something Parky has not really had.
  • Options
    His record last year suggests he can't.

A manager's 1st signing is always a signal to the fans, board and other players his intentions.

His 1st signing was, *winces*, Deon Burton.

Possibly right bloke, wrong timing.
  • Options
    As much as I like parkinson and would love him to turn it around he wont.

I really hope for the clubs sake he proves me wrong but if we arent in the top six by christmas then i cant see how much more time he should get.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]

I'd have Curbs' babies (unless ohh ah beat me to it) but he and Gritty were given time. Something Parky has not really had.

To add to that, I think they inherited a team of guy's, that most of would have run through walls for the club.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Callumcafc[/cite]He really didn't. Kelly Youga was a complete shambles towards the end of Pardew's reign, but he was gradually turned round under Parkinson and looked solid at centre back on the last day of the season and at left back the few home games before that.

He didn't get the results perhaps, but he got the players believing again, with a confidence to play football which boades well forr the season ahead if he can bring in the players he wants.

Spot on re Youga.

A guy who sits near me went to a fans meeting Youga attended and said that he had said he never knew what Pardew wanted from him. In those circumstances it is hardly surprising Kelly lost confidence.

Don't forget Pardew shunted him to Scunthorpe and only got him back because we had so many injuries. He then tried to claim the credit when Kelly played well on his return.

Callum you are largely right. Dowie started the ruination process, Les Reed was powerless to stop it and Pardew accelerated it. Parkinson has been left to try and pick up the pieces.

It should also not be forgotten that a lot of our better players like Parky which just might be the difference between them staying and going.

I really think it was probably worse behind the scenes than we realised. We thought a new manager could come in and instantly change it around, but I don't think it would have been done as easily as it was at Derby, Forest, Watford etc. Little quality up front, several players seriously lacking confidence, not just Youga, Sam and Ambrose to name a few. Not much cover in defence, at full back as well as centre back. We were already well on our way to League One, whether or not we were in the relegation zone at the time.

He made mistakes but he should learn from them, ie bringing in Spring, but towards the end of the season he was lucky to get on the bench.

I'm not saying he's definitely going to do a good job, there's a lot to do, but it'll help if fans get behind him. Last season we had players scared of making mistakes. Parkinson had to fix that and he was doing it slowly.
    [cite]Posted By: T.C.E[/cite]To add to that, I think they inherited a team of guy's, that most of would have run through walls for the club.

Which is the sort of squad Parkinson would try to build.
  • Options
    My view is that Parkinson should not turn out to be the fall guy in this messy period.His record has not been at all impressive since he took charge, but as mentioned above he has had to regroup and work with a bunch of players whose confidence had been shot to pieces. The team's performances started to improve the longer the season wore on, despite us having to cope with our fair share of injuries and I believe the green shoots started to sprout at the tail end of the season.

Whoever is our manager next season, they will need a fair share of our existing squad to stay and have some of the funds made available, as and when we get around to selling a few.

We should be careful what we wish for. A familiar face, some consistency with regards to style of play, team selection and the fact we have no money to appoint anybody I think could do a better job, leads me to believe that we should get behind him and give him a chance to prove the less endered wrong.

I won't be singing his name if he is around in August, but equally I'll be getting behind the team and not slagging him off the first time we concede a goal or lose a game.
  • Options
    My view is that Parkinson should not turn out to be the fall guy in this messy period.His record has not been at all impressive since he took charge, but as mentioned above he has had to regroup and work with a bunch of players whose confidence had been shot to pieces. The team's performances started to improve the longer the season wore on, despite us having to cope with our fair share of injuries and I believe the green shoots started to sprout at the tail end of the season.

Whoever is our manager next season, they will need a fair share of our existing squad to stay and have some of the funds made available, as and when we get around to selling a few.

We should be careful what we wish for. A familiar face, some consistency with regards to style of play, team selection and the fact we have no money to appoint anybody I think could do a better job, leads me to believe that we should get behind him and give him a chance to prove the less endered wrong.

I won't be singing his name if he is around in August, but equally I'll be getting behind the team and not slagging him off the first time we concede a goal or lose a game.
  • Options
    I can see both sides of this particular argument but for me the overiding point is that Parky has completely split the fans. Season ticket sales have definitely been hit because of him and while he remains in charge there will be no unity which cannot be a good thing. A line needs to be drawn under the last three seasons and a new broom would at least offer real hope to the fans. Parky cannot win. If we do well some will say that he can`t do it in the Championship so whats the point. He has to go. I agree with Henry in that I think Parky may well go on to do good things but not at Charlton.
  • Options
    To be fair, he signed Spring, at a time when Racon and ZZ were injured.

Where else was he going to get a player of his experience, available without paying out a substantial transfer fee, and willing to sign a contract at a club doomed to relegation?

Remember he was trying to get Wayne Brown fom Hull City?
    He'd been Parky's promotion skipper at Colchester, and later skippered Hull to promotion to the Prem.
    Contract and money was the issue there apparently.

Okay, he got Darren Ward instead, who showed a 1st class attitude for a loan player, so full marks there.

Who wanted to come to Charlton in January?
    Not many and certainly if they had any quality, available players were raising their sights higher.

Bouazza jumped ship for more or less that reason.
  • Options

We have :

Getting back to the thread.............

In todays Eastern Daily Press Michael nelson Narridge's new signing said he wanted to come to norwich as "he had been unhappy with his form at Hartlepool"

Doesn't sound too encouraging.

Norwich are in more of a mess than we are. They didn't own enough players to put a team together and yet had one of the highest wage bills in the Championship.

They sacked their Chief exec but that left just Delia and her Husband in Charge - great passion but not one to run the club I think.

I would rather be in our position than theirs.

?