Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Narwich and Us

2»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]To be fair, he signed Spring, at a time when Racon and ZZ were injured.

Where else was he going to get a player of his experience, available without paying out a substantial transfer fee, and willing to sign a contract at a club doomed to relegation?

Remember he was trying to get Wayne Brown fom Hull City?
    He'd been Parky's promotion skipper at Colchester, and later skippered Hull to promotion to the Prem.
    Contract and money was the issue there apparently.

Okay, he got Darren Ward instead, who showed a 1st class attitude for a loan player, so full marks there.

Who wanted to come to Charlton in January?
    Not many and certainly if they had any quality, available players were raising their sights higher.

Bouazza jumped ship for more or less that reason.

I've said before signing players this summer is completely different to last January. I don't think Spring was a good signing at all, but Parkinson can't be judged on his eye for a player based on a month in which we had no money and barely anyone worthwhile would have been willing to sign for us.

In the end it's near the end of June, less than 3 weeks until our first friendly. If Parkinson was going to go it should have been just after the Norwich game if not earlier. Not a good time for a new manager to come in now.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]To be fair, he signed Spring, at a time when Racon and ZZ were injured.

Where else was he going to get a player of his experience, available without paying out a substantial transfer fee, and willing to sign a contract at a club doomed to relegation?

Remember he was trying to get Wayne Brown fom Hull City?
    He'd been Parky's promotion skipper at Colchester, and later skippered Hull to promotion to the Prem.
    Contract and money was the issue there apparently.

Okay, he got Darren Ward instead, who showed a 1st class attitude for a loan player, so full marks there.

Who wanted to come to Charlton in January?
    Not many and certainly if they had any quality, available players were raising their sights higher.

Bouazza jumped ship for more or less that reason.

I've said before signing players this summer is completely different to last January. I don't think Spring was a good signing at all, but Parkinson can't be judged on his eye for a player based on a month in which we had no money and barely anyone worthwhile would have been willing to sign for us.

In the end it's near the end of June, less than 3 weeks until our first friendly. If Parkinson was going to go it should have been just after the Norwich game if not earlier. Not a good time for a new manager to come in now.

Hmmm...far better to come in after the window has shut, some/most of our better players left and the season's started in your opinion?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]And what real money did Curbishley and Gritt have when they took over? Loads of managers inherit the damage that bad managers cause and turn things around.[/quote]

But C&G took over during the close season when decent free transfers and out of contracts are available.

On balance and my concerns over his transfers in last season - Spring, Burton, Gillespie, I would rather he was not at the Valley. That said if he is there when we play Wycombe on the 8th, I will support him and his team, as I did Dowies, Pardews and Reeds.

As for him being the worst manager ever, well statistics do lie, Pardew is the worst manager I have ever seen in the dug out and anyone who would rather Pardew to Parkinson or even put Pardew above Parkinson in popularity stakes, does not realise the damage that man did to our club
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Callumcafc[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]hardly Gunn's fault they were relegated, he was only there a few games so hardly Parkyesque.

It's really starting to get on my nerves how much everyone is getting on Parkinson's back now.. I've sat here and read it for the past couple of weeks but I feel I need to speak up now. :)

First off, Bryan Gunn had 19 games in charge, not a few. But that's not the point I wanted to make. Everyone seems to be venting their frustration at Parkinson right now. It's obvious he's staying (which I'm pleased about) so what is all this negativity gonna do other than damage the club, it's not gonna benefit the team, or even yourselves in any way at all.

To be honest, I don't think Parkinson did a terrible job. Despite trying to stay optimistic, I always felt we were destined for League 1 before he was even given the position and to get the players playing as a team once again (which I felt he did a superb job of in the end) would have been my priority if I was in his shoes. Pardew ruined us, Parkinson is rebuilding. I don't buy the idea that Parkinson played a huge role in the Pardew set-up other than possibly in warm-ups and training, and we can take Parkinson's selection of Racon nearly every game during his reign so far compared to Pardew as an example of that.

We can't let him go now, there WERE improvements on the pitch. Results perhaps don't back that up but I just have a feeling in my gut that letting this man go would be a big mistake.

Your point about Racon doesn't sit well. Pardew had selected Racon last season but Racon got injured other than that there is no validity that Pardew wouldn't have kept him in the side.
  • Options
    The problem I had with Parkinson last season was his negativity after he, to some degree had managed to make the midfield sturdier. There was certainly an opportunity in the later games to have gone for it instead of settling for draws. My view was that we were already destined for relegation by Christmas and in the later part of the season Parkinson could have won over many of his critics had he shown a more positivety in those later games. Instead he lost I believe the goodwill of the majority of CAFC fans.

However it is clear he will be in charge when the season kicks off, unless one of our takeover rumours prove true (don't hold your breathe). The problem now is because the fan base is divided over him if he doesn't get the team off to a flyer we could self destruct. I hope for all our sakes he can bring success right from the start of the season and get us all believing in the club again.
  • Options
    Does anyone know if Damien Matthew is still in contract? If he is, why don't we bin Parky and promote him to manager (in a similar way to the way we promoted Parky i.e. no pay rise and no contract extension). He's no reserve team to manage, it will give confidence to players coming into the club (on frees I assume) that the manager who is signing them has a future at the club and his appointment may galvanize support and get a few more to renew season tickets. Importantly it won't add a single penny to the budget.

Personally I've still got a lot of respect for Parkinson, think he's done an OK job so far and, given time and support (both financial and vocal) could do well for us. The time to publically back Parkinson for next season was straight after the Norwich game, but the board didn't, which IMO means they have little confidence in him. A lot of my confidence in Parky stems from who appointed him, i.e. the board (even after all that has happened I still trust them (am I a mug?)) As this period of uncertainty has stretched, the more my confidence in Parky has ebbed away and I'm sure that I'm not the only one that's feeling this.

I think the current "limbo" status of the club is doing us serious damage at the moment and unfortunately the manager has to change in order to knock the club out of its lethagy. Absence of confidence in managers in football and in any walk of life can do tremendous damage to otherwise well run businesses. What fans and players both crave is certainty and we are missing this at the moment.

Now I've got that off my chest I'll go back to lurking :0)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: StrikerFirmani[/cite]The problem I had with Parkinson last season was his negativity after he, to some degree had managed to make the midfield sturdier. There was certainly an opportunity in the later games to have gone for it instead of settling for draws. My view was that we were already destined for relegation by Christmas and in the later part of the season Parkinson could have won over many of his critics had he shown a more positivety in those later games. Instead he lost I believe the goodwill of the majority of CAFC fans.

However it is clear he will be in charge when the season kicks off, unless one of our takeover rumours prove true (don't hold your breathe). The problem now is because the fan base is divided over him if he doesn't get the team off to a flyer we could self destruct. I hope for all our sakes he can bring success right from the start of the season and get us all believing in the club again.

If I was to criticise Parky at all it would be his handling of the vital home games against Doncaster and Watford.
  • Options
    If/When Parky stays it will affect a number of players stay/go decisions, so he may not even have the resources that he failed with last time.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]If/When Parky stays it will affect a number of players stay/go decisions, so he may not even have the resources that he failed with last time.[/quote]

Ah but he'll have them to succeed / fail at a lower level!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]Hmmm...far better to come in after the window has shut, some/most of our better players left and the season's started in your opinion?

Of course not, just saying the earlier the better. To me it doesn't seem likely that he'll go this summer. If he goes it'll probably be through him resigning or being sacked at least a few months into the season.
    [cite]Posted By: Imnot Athletic[/cite]Does anyone know if Damien Matthew is still in contract? If he is, why don't we bin Parky and promote him to manager (in a similar way to the way we promoted Parky i.e. no pay rise and no contract extension). He's no reserve team to manage, it will give confidence to players coming into the club (on frees I assume) that the manager who is signing them has a future at the club and his appointment may galvanize support and get a few more to renew season tickets. Importantly it won't add a single penny to the budget.

Why another appoint another manager from within? It rarely works. Matthew has done well but u18 and reserve level is very different.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    "To be fair, he signed Spring, at a time when Racon and ZZ were injured."(quote)

But he had Wright and Shelvey as backup, publicly praised Josh then dropped him for no reason, did similar to Dickson when he played him upfront on his own where he predictably failed to deliver. Spring lost his place to Shelvey who was available all season, Burton and later Kandol were brought in with neither cementing their place, but McLead was given one comeback game before being ignored and shipped out.
  • Options
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/aug/18/paul-lambert-norwich-manager

Norwich have now appointed Parky's old Colchester deputy as manager
  • Options
    wasn't Parky's old Col Utd deputy. Parky's deputy was Geraint Williams who is managing the O's tonight. Lambert was appointed after Williams left.
  • Options
    oops ... small world in League One though!