Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Interesting news...

Comments

• Options
    The club has said it has offered Randolph a new contract - lets see if he signs
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bolderhumphreyreid[/cite]...Hudson has been sold to Cardiff, Llera has signed but the one that surprises me is that Dean Gerkin has also signed. He's the goalkeeper from Colchester.

This news hasn't been announced yet as the club is going through the due diligence process. Once this is complete and hopefully successful (!) then the news will break.

Please don't ask me how i know this. I can only assure you this was not from anyone from within the club nor was it someone who is part of the takeover.

Believe it or don't believe it...i'm not here to spread idle gossip. I just wanted to get some information that i heard onto the forum.

When this news breaks i'll be the first back on here saying "told you so!".

Keep smiling.

Sniff Sniff Snifff.....What's that I can smell?
  • Options
    I smell a Palace fan wind up
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]Don't need Gerkin. Elliott is more than capable for League One
    Randolph will not sign if Parky stays. I hope that any new keeper we're looking at bringing in is as a backup to Rob, who deserved his place.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]I smell a Palace fan wind up

I concur
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bolderhumphreyreid[/cite]...Hudson has been sold to Cardiff, Llera has signed

The only way Hudson has signed for Cardiff is if they came in with a better deal as I KNOW he rejected their initial approach!

And Llera is almost a guarenteed signing so nothing new on him... ;o)
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Dazzler21And Llera is almost a guarenteed signing so nothing new on him... ;o)[/quote]

Is there any such thing as an almost guaranteed signing that has not happened? I fear dazzler that you have just jinxed us!!
  • Options
    For what it's worth - I believe the original poster. Call me naive but it just seems a tad too random to be made up
  • Options
    All the player stuff is certainly plausable but the due diligence thing is the really interesting bit. Heres hoping.
  • Options
    Well I guess it kind of does go well with the other thread about Keith Peacock saying 'hopefully something will happen this week'.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The bloke is putting 2+2 together, we have been linked with those two players over the past and cardiff are interested in hudson and their is a takeover going on. I could come out and say oh i know that jonjo is going to west ham wade small is close to signing and peter varney is involved in the takeover
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: J BLOCK joe[/cite]The bloke is putting 2+2 together, we have been linked with those two players over the past and cardiff are interested in hudson and their is a takeover going on. I could come out and say oh i know that jonjo is going to west ham wade small is close to signing and peter varney is involved in the takeover[/quote]

Peter Varney is involved?!?!?

:-o
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Wow...is he really?
  • Options
    Well this is intresting we have offered a contract to Randolph and in reality only need 2 keepers, so if we sign Gerken then is this a sign that Randolph aint staying and is going elsewhere, I for 1 will be seriously upset if Gerken comes in and gets the no1 shirt just like that kinda the same way Hudson became captain when Elliot deserves the no1 shirt and should be first choice keeper.

We still need to cut down the squad we have 28 man first-team squad and should be aiming for 20-24 roughly so need to sell then bring in players and stick within the wage budget.
  • Options
    I don’t seriously see how Elliot can not be no 1 this season. He gave everything last season and to be honest, should never have been dropped for Randolph the year before (after the Plymouth game).
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Erm covered end it's quite simple really. If you have a business that is loss making and the buyers are wavering you reduce your costs immediately. If the buyers want to waste lot's of money then you keep what is perceived as your best players/assets. I'm not saying the deal relies on Hudson but that wherever we are if someone wanted Hudson he'd be gone, his move has nothing to do with DD.

LOL that after due diligence and a huge financial hole they sell off Hudson. I'd suggest any sale of Hudson has nothing to do with future owners unless there's a belief a deal goes through and he can be kept. Unless they're bogger mad where they happily say 'BeJesus keep spleening all that money so we can pick up a bigger bill. I luv a bailout'. Still if they do buy the club for thirty million they are truly mad, I suspect they'll make a capital injection and promise to meet all loan obligations... actually buying the club for very little.... Nowhere near an initial twenty million payoff to the owners.
  • Options
    One bit of rumour with no source and suddenly people are getting their knickers in a twist over the keepers position.

Gerkin hasn't signed so let's panic if and when he does.

Not sure why Randolph is considered a better keeper than Elliot or that he always was.

IMHO Elliot is more reliable and by accounts I've heard works harder at his game. Randolph is still young, as is Elliot, and has a lot of time to develop as a keeper. He's been offered a contract so his choice to stay and fight for a place with Elliot or go elsewhere for first team football.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    imo we need a better keeper than elliot if we are serious about promotion
    any relegated team gives a keeper the chance to make loads of brilliant saves , carson for example looked a reasonable keeper for us and i think villa and liverpool not wanting him and his indifferent form for west brom last year prove that he isn't england class and not a top top keeper that some may have thought he was during his spell with us....
    elliot to me was very ordinary considering the numerous opportunities he would have had to make crucial saves , i know i'm in a very small minority here but i just don't rate him....if he plays over 80% of our games next year we'll struggle for promotion imo cos he isn't a match winner
  • Options
    I almost agree with you Oohaah - I am not 100% convinced as yet on Rob but think he deserves the benefit of the doubt for a while.
    I just can't help thinking he was beaten by done fairly ordinary strikes but we have to remember he is very young for a goalie

if the rumour about gerkin is true I'd be quite receptive to it as competition is good
  • Options
    Gherkin is mustard..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think you'll find Gherkin is a wally.
  • Options
    http://www.colchester.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=158520

I can't help thinking this crowd are taking news from this website!!!
  • Options
    I think Gherkin is tasty and quite a mouthful for any commentator.
  • Options
    Gerken's only young. We should be looking at an experienced keeper on top of his game. Why not Simon Royce? It'll really piss off the Gills.

Personally I'd be happy with Elliot but if he's vying for first team than he needs to be absorbing good habits off an excellent pro. Plus at this level Royce inspires confidence in his defenders.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: southamptonaddick[/cite]I think you'll find Gherkin is a wally.

He quite often gets himself into a pickle.
  • Options
    According to SLP Parky is holding talks with Randolph on Thursday when the squad returns and is hopeful that he will sign a new contract. Also says Gerken is under contract and a deal is not likely.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]I almost agree with you Oohaah - I am not 100% convinced as yet on Rob but think he deserves the benefit of the doubt for a while.
    I just can't help thinking he was beaten by done fairly ordinary strikes but we have to remember he is very young for a goalie

if the rumour about gerkin is true I'd be quite receptive to it as competition is good

I too am not totally convinced by Elliot and I think he gets a bit more hype, positive press, call it what you will on here and other forums because he's and Addick. That counts for a lot but it doesn't necessarily make him a brillinat keeper. That said, I see potential there and I think he's comparable to Weaver, so I don't think we need to replace him, but we might need to to bring in cover. if Randolph is staying then we should probably just run with those 2 and bring in cover on loan if/when it's needed.

I think Randolph has traditionally been seen as the better prospect whilst they were both youth/reserve players. I can see why too because Randolph is the better natural talent imo, in that he's a very good shot stopper. On the flip side he's more error prone that Bobby E and a bit weaker on crosses (based on what I've seen). Overall there's not a lot between them - Elliot is solid and doesn't do anything silly, whilst Randolph is more likely to make a goal costing error but also more likely to have an amazing game or pull off that wonder save that salvages a point or a win - you pays your money and takes your choice as to waht you prefer in a goalie. Either way we have two decent, home grown young keepers who should be up to League 1 football and won't be costing us much in wages - a rare thing for us to be pleased about!
  • Options
    Robbie is probably not the greatest keeper ever, but he is young and likely to improve. Robbie's popularity was put sharply into focus last season because he was a player lined up with so many (disinterested?) loanees. Against the backdrop of so many strangers, Robbie, as one of us, takes on talismanic status.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]I too am not totally convinced by Elliot and I think he gets a bit more hype, positive press, call it what you will on here and other forums because he's and Addick. That counts for a lot but it doesn't necessarily make him a brillinat keeper. That said, I see potential there and I think he's comparable to Weaver, so I don't think we need to replace him, but we might need to to bring in cover. if Randolph is staying then we should probably just run with those 2 and bring in cover on loan if/when it's needed.

I think Randolph has traditionally been seen as the better prospect whilst they were both youth/reserve players. I can see why too because Randolph is the better natural talent imo, in that he's a very good shot stopper. On the flip side he's more error prone that Bobby E and a bit weaker on crosses (based on what I've seen). Overall there's not a lot between them - Elliot is solid and doesn't do anything silly, whilst Randolph is more likely to make a goal costing error but also more likely to have an amazing game or pull off that wonder save that salvages a point or a win - you pays your money and takes your choice as to waht you prefer in a goalie. Either way we have two decent, home grown young keepers who should be up to League 1 football and won't be costing us much in wages - a rare thing for us to be pleased about!
    That's just how I see them - Elliot's strength isn't his shot stopping. It's decent enough, but he's been good because he's a solid all round reliable 'keeper. Decent distribution, concentrates well, can get a lot of distance on his kicks when needed etc. Randolph in the few times I've seen him makes some great saves, but also more mistakes. Maybe he's never had a long enough run, though I remember hearing of his mistakes on loan at Gillingham as well.

Both are still promising, still very young for 'keepers. We might never even see their best season here, as they probably won't reach their peak until their 30s.
  • Options
    As a club we have far bigger concerns within the squad than getting a new keeper. Keeping hold of our midfield, acquiring a decent centre back and 2 good attacking full backs, finding a striker who can score goals. I'd have thought a keeper was the last position we had problems in.