Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Interesting news...

13»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]As a club we have far bigger concerns within the squad than getting a new keeper. Keeping hold of our midfield, acquiring a decent centre back and 2 good attacking full backs, finding a striker who can score goals. I'd have thought a keeper was the last position we had problems in.

Absolutely correct.
  • Options
    Personally I am of two minds i would like to see a willfull, reliable older pro as backup to Elliot. I think Randolph will be a league goalie but he in no way inspires or interacts well with defenders.

Elliot in my oppinion is very good, and has an excellent temprement. Apart from being a Charlton fan there is something about his character that appears to settle the back line a bit better than Randolph. Yes Randolph looks to have the natural ability edge... just but stability is much more important for us atm especially if we lose little in having it. A positive energy in this squad is so important and lacking in even our more reliable pros. Take Elliot's positiveness out the squad and we have a lot of 20 minute shiners, 70 minute dreamers. Randolph's attitude is not commensurate to his talent, and personally his shot stopping is more to the spectacular than efficent.
  • Options
    Robbie Elliot made several wonder saves last season, added to some very reliable positioning.
    I believe he has the makings of a sound, consistant keeper.

Some keepers typically pull of a string of spectacular saves, which becomes their hallmark.
    As Colin Tat makes reference to above, the spectacular keepers are often capable of equally spectacular bloopers.

Often the solid dependable keeper doesn't pull off so many spectacular saves - simply because, generally he doesn't have to. He reads the game better, commands his box well and has good understanding with his back four, and positions himself better.

This last point is crucial. If he invariably positions himself well, he makes his work look routine.

When I was a lad *winky thing* ...... the 2 outstanding English keepers were Gordon Banks, and Peter Bonnetti (or the Cat, as he was known as). Bonnetti typically pulled off the most outstanding saves but often his positioning couldn't compare to Banks, who just made everything look routine and rarely made errors of any description.

But Gordon Banks was also capable of the most brilliant breathtaking save, as his fabulous wonder save against Pele in the 1970 World Cup showed.

Everyone knew who was the most reliable keeper.

To my mind, Elliot has one major vulnerability - and that is his organising and positioning of close range direct free kicks.
    He would benefit learning from an experienced keeper there.

Otherwise, I consider Elliot the more accomplished and dependable keeper - more of a 'Gordon Banks' than Randolph's 'Peter Bonetti'.
  • Options
    I was reliably informed last season ( not by GH ! ) that Randolph was on £2.5k pw & Rob on £1k with contract talks due at the end of last season. On that basis, it was likley that the Club would seek to replace the former with someone who wouldn't command such a wage as the Club's no2 'keeper.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Fanny Fanackapan[/cite]I was reliably informed last season ( not by GH ! ) that Randolph was on £2.5k pw & Rob on £1k with contract talks due at the end of last season. On that basis, it was likley that the Club would seek to replace the former with someone who wouldn't command such a wage as the Club's no2 'keeper.

Or get him to agree a new reduced contract, which is more likely.
  • Options
    Indeed I'd doubt there'd be many clubs willing to give him more than 2 grand a week.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: w/sladeaddick[/cite]According to SLP Parky is holding talks with Randolph on Thursday when the squad returns and is hopeful that he will sign a new contract. Also says Gerken is under contract and a deal is not likely.

gerken's signed for bristol city on a 2 year deal. So the keeper situation remains as is for the time being.....