Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nice Sea side resort

edited June 2009 in General Charlton
Hello everyone

the missus and I are looking at going away to a B&B or self catoring for a couple of nights, somewhere nice and quiet! getting a bit old now! anyone got any places within 2 hour drive that they would suggest? we were thinking about southwold but I thought I would ask on here for some ideas! thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    Deal!
  • Options
    Whitstable or Rye
  • Options
    eastbourne
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    southwold

oops,didn't read your own suggestion.
  • Options
    Leysdown
  • Options
    Greatstone or littlestone near dymchurch, both are really nice, close to dynchurch but not to close to lager louts,
  • Options
    Allhallows-on-sea........ classy
  • Options
    seaford (east sussex), just down the coast from brighton, nice little town, few nice pubs, big campsite down there and a few nice little BnB's depending on what you are after... right on the front, great pebble beach
  • Options
    My dad fought off the hun at an ack-ack site at Allhallows. Used to go down there for old times sake and have a pint in the Pilot(?) when I was a nipper. More like Allhallows -on- Mud as I remember it, Oggy.
  • Options
    Yes, its just west of Monaco on the southern coast of France - oh sorry, thought you meant Nice.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    All of those are stinkholes! Especially Leysdown and Allhallows

Drive down to Bracklesham bay, you'll like that
  • Options
    Unless you've got a caravan: they seem to breed down that part of the world.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: March51[/cite]My dad fought off the hun at an ack-ack site at Allhallows. Used to go down there for old times sake and have a pint in the Pilot(?) when I was a nipper. More like Allhallows -on- Mud as I remember it, Oggy.

Ha ha ..... went there once for a day trip when I was a nipper.

Like Leysdown ..... my sister lives at Sittingbourne, and occasional they go across the bridge to The Island, as everyone there calls it. Well one day, we ended up at Leysdown, real Caravan Country.

Bermondsey-on-Sea.,
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Lovely old unspoiled seaside town: Westgate-on-sea. Between Birchington and Margate.

Rye is nice if you can do without a beach or nip along the road to Camber Sands for an afternoon.

Had three days in The Cotswolds last week. Bourton-on-the-Water. >>> http://www.cotswolds.info/places/bourton-on-the-water.shtml.

Stayed at http://www.chesterhousehotel.com/. Dine at The Rose Tree.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]

Drive down to Bracklesham bay, you'll like that

Blimey.That takes me back.Crackin little place.Not too far from Chichester.
  • Options
    westgate is lovely and quiet
  • Options
    Whitstable........... But I'm biased.

I wouldn't go to Westgate for a weekend. It's too near Margate and won't be an escape at all.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stone[/cite]Rye is nice if you can do without a beach or nip along the road to Camber Sands for an afternoon.

Exactly what we did Sunday a week and a bit ago. Camber is great but parking can be an issue... so, go in the afternoon as some folk are leaving...
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Lyme Regis. End of.

Worth the extra hour it'll take you to get there and back - honestly.
  • Options
    clacton, or if you want to venture further afield theres always skegness
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Skeggy is a bit further than ....."within 2 hours drive", I think

;o)
  • Options
    Had a good old mods/rockers punch up in Clacton around '64-'65. Expect it's a bit quieter now.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Stone[/cite]Rye is nice if you can do without a beach or nip along the road to Camber Sands for an afternoon.

Exactly what we did Sunday a week and a bit ago. Camber is great but parking can be an issue... so, go in the afternoon as some folk are leaving...
    Exactly what we did too - got down there at about 3:00 - it was awesome. Sat in the dunes and had a braai.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: March51[/cite]Had a good old mods/rockers punch up in Clacton around '64-'65. Expect it's a bit quieter now.

Expect you are too these days, Mr March

;o)
  • Options
    Swanage and the Isle of Purbeck - within easy reach of Durdle Door etc. - beautiful and it feels like a million miles away.

Like Leroy said, it is worth the extra hassle to get to Dorset - lovely place.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Skeggy is a bit further than ....."within 2 hours drive", I think

not if he lives in grimsby.
  • Options
    Thanks alot guys, loads of really good suggestions, Skeggy is a bit far for me!
  • Options
    You're not wrong OR, but still got the old Bonneville in the garage for old time's sake. Sit on it and go Brrrm Brrrm (if I can get me leg over that is.....). Anyway there's a very old, quaint B&B/hotel in Pevensey (Eastbourne way) that's good, trying to remember the name!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Skeggy is a bit further than ....."within 2 hours drive", I think

not if he lives in grimsby.

If I lived in Skegness, I could change my user name to Skeggy Red.

Useless trivia time:
    Did you know that the old Viking name Grimsby ...... means 'ugly town'.

;o)
  • Options
    If you're going to head for Southwold I'd say stay in Walberswick