Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Confirmed cases of Swine flu at work

We had three year six children taken out of school this morning with suspected swine flu. One of the cases has been confirmed and we suspect it's only a matter of time until the others are. The School, LEA and NHS are all of a sudden playing it very cool with all this but I'm wondering if I want to go into work tomorrow. Basically I wasn't told about it until mid-morning and after the Parents were. The parents received text messages and phone calls and a number of them turned up to take their children home straight away.

Has anyone else has any cases at work and if so what precautions have their employers implemented to prevent the spread of the disease as Tower Hamlet LEA seem to be doing very little in this regard.

Comments

• Options
    We had several hundred Emails telling everyone that to help prevent Swine Flu we should not to eat pork luncheon meat...

Later realised it was just spam...
  • Options
    You should take a look at any A&E dept at the moment. They are all reporting an increase of people walking in thinking they have got it! In Lewisham you can tell who they are because they are stuck in the waiting area in face masks!!

Most people are only suffering with summer flu/cold, which is common this time of year.

Please please if you THINK you may have it, don't go out and spread it about, stay home and contact your GP or NHS Direct for advice.
  • Options
    What are the symptons of swine flu compared to a normal flu bug?
  • Options
    We have had pretty much that advice from the health protection agency, that the general approach has changed due to the nature of the virus, "the vast majority of people who have caught swine flu have experienced relatively mild symptoms, similar to seasonal flu".
  • Options
    What are the symptons of swine flu compared to a normal flu bug?
    they didn't say. The HPA advise that if you feel in any way unwell you should not go to work.
  • Options
    One of the guys in my team is off with suspected swine flu, and HR hauled those of us who'd worked fairly closely with him over the last few days into a meeting to advise us of the symptoms and tell us what to do if we started displaying them. As a result, I'm working from home as a precautionary measure as I managed to tick three or four of the boxes on the symptom check. To be honest, it's more likely that it's just a coincidence, but as one of the girls I work with occasionally is 8 months pregnant, I don't want to be responsible for her catching it.

NHS direct have a symptom checker here, if you're worried.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    We had someone at work confirmed with it today as well. Seems like this was a million miles away only a few weeks ago
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    If you are a normal reasonably healthy adult with no underlying health problems there's no real need to be worried (even if you contract it)....if however you are a pensioner or an 'at risk' member of society then of course you need to think a fair bit more about this rather nasty and virulent virus and it's danger specificly to you.
  • Options
    Catching the bug isn't the primary concern...

Stopping the spread of it is far more important...

Something as simple as carrying around a packet of disposable paper hankies is probably one of the best containment and preventative measures you can take...

Next time you go out ask everyone you meet if they have any with them....
  • Options
    i work for nhs in doncaster. a colleague i work with was sent home for 'a week' as a precautionary measure, because a woman she had a drink with on a night out the previous friday has been confirmed as having swine flu. you should have seen her beeming from ear to ear when she was told she had to go home. her boss was well happy....not!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2009
    i work for nhs in doncaster. a colleague i work with was sent home for 'a week' as a precautionary measure, because a woman she had a drink with on a night out the previous friday has been confirmed as having swine flu. you should have seen her beeming from ear to ear when she was told she had to go home. her boss was well happy....not!
    Yeah but what do you do? On the one hand the media are reporting that we are all going to be consumed in an unstoppable wave of disease, on the other hand we're being told that it's no worse that the common cold and we really shouldn't worry that much. Personally I'm not too concerned and I never have been. But, as there is a pretty good chance that I have personally come into contact with the virus, the advice that I should just not get too worried about it and just carry on as normal seems at odds with everything we, the public, have been told about swine flu before. Fair enough, I'm fit, young, have no other heath conditions that might complicate an infection but what if I come into contact with someone that can't resist the virus?

Seems to me that this is the status quo the government has opted for.
  • Options
    The syptoms are in general at present "mild" and shouldn`t prove a problem to healthy members of the population. The real concern is that presentation of swine flu will continue to rise over the summer months and then at some point in the autumn mutate and become something nasty. It should be remembered that the government have now decided to buy enough Tamiflu for the entire population ! If this was not considered to be necessary I very much doubt that they would have taken this unprecedented action.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]We had several hundred Emails telling everyone that to help prevent Swine Flu we should not to eat pork luncheon meat...

Later realised it was just spam...

Why did I laugh out loud at that?
  • Options
    far more people die of normal flu each year, than the 360 odd dead...... RIP....
  • Options
    Three confirmed as having it at my place!
  • Options
    Two at my boys school yesterday. . . .
  • Options
    and mine.....
  • Options
    An Aunt has got it and one at work.
  • Options
    its spreading now good and proper.

Stay calm everyone! :-)
  • Options
    A few here at work
    Loads at my kids school
    few at my wifes school were she works
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Deputy head and about ten kids confirmed at my kid's primary school so far, not good
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited July 2009
    It's the bloody flu!!!! People die from the flu all of the time and that is sad but come on - swine flu in it's current form is no more deadly than the flu we all know and love.

(now you watch me catch it and be seriously ill)
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]It's the bloody flu!!!! People die from the flu all of the time and that is sad but come on - swine flu in it's current form is no more deadly than the flu we all know and love.

(now you watch me catch it and be seriously ill)[/quote]

I must say Swine flu is know where near as bad as man flu
  • Options
    As far as I'm aware, testing for swine flu stopped as soon as we entered the 'treatment' phase, so how people are saying they are confirmed as having swine flu puzzles me.
  • Options
    Swinging the lead a lot of em. I must read up on it as could do with a few days off in time for the next test, weather permitting. 1905 must be worried about it being in his family, what with his poor immune system.

RIDDLED
  • Options
    Just ring your GP, say your temperature is 39, you have a sore throat and feel like sh*t. Ask them to deliver a sick note with the tamiflu. Job done.
  • Options
    And if they don't then threaten to come to the surgery just to be sure.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]Just ring your GP, say your temperature is 39, you have a sore throat and feel like sh*t. Ask them to deliver a sick note with the tamiflu. Job done.[/quote]

ANYONE SEEN CORY GIBBS????
  • Options
    PETER LEVER KNOWS CORY GIBBS- FACT !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]PETER LEVER KNOWS CORY GIBBS- FACT !

He may know him, but he can't see him. 8-0)