Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Andy Gray from SLP

Comments

• Options
    Like the new avatar SHG.

I believe you can get their strip now!
  • Options
    Where does the £12K a week story come from? I believe it was Palace who claimed that Hudson was on this kind of deal but that was denied by Charlton. No apparently that is what Gray is on. Why should we believe this?

I am sure that Gray is on decent money and thus we may want to get his costs off the books but I very much doubt its £12K a week.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]Where does the £12K a week story come from? I believe it was Palace who claimed that Hudson was on this kind of deal but that was denied by Charlton. No apparently that is what Gray is on. Why should we believe this?

I am sure that Gray is on decent money and thus we may want to get his costs off the books but I very much doubt its £12K a week.

Yes, but the trouble is if we are only looking to pay £2,000 per week on players wages and say Gray is on £8,000 per week, if you off load him, you could afford 4 players. How good would the players be ? But then Gray has been poor (although he has had a lot of difficult personal issues and may well still have for all we know).
  • Options
    Yes but if I recall, Palace wouldn't match Hudson's wage and we know from the club that it wasn't £12K. We also understand that Palace don't want to match Grays money so perhaps wages of £2K to £5K are more realistic especially in the current recession.

The challenge for a club like Charlton who have fallen so far is to re-build their squad and the wage levels commensurate with the league position when some players, a hang over from better time, are on unrealistic wages.
  • Options
    Agreed, I do know that Gray is likely to go for free or a small fee as someone reliably informed me.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]Yes but if I recall, Palace wouldn't match Hudson's wage and we know from the club that it wasn't £12K. We also understand that Palace don't want to match Grays money so perhaps wages of £2K to £5K are more realistic especially in the current recession.

The challenge for a club like Charlton who have fallen so far is to re-build their squad and the wage levels commensurate with the league position when some players, a hang over from better time, are on unrealistic wages.

It's a bit of a conundrum, by not matching what we could afford to pay Hudson they had to pay out around £450K for McCarthy and pay his wages and signing on fee. Overall I reckon they'd have been financially better off paying Hudson what he wanted - more so as we've just sold him on for a decent profit, I doubt McCarthy will go for anything similar.

The trick is to retain a few players who earn above average salaries, but offer a lot more to the club in terms of performance and/or sell on value.
  • Options
    Barnsley sniffing around on the Beeb
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CAFCBourne[/cite]Barnsley sniffing around on the Beeb

Good, theirs for £1.075m
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CAFCBourne[/cite]Barnsley sniffing around on the Beeb

link
  • Options
    Interesting that all interested parties see him as a target man. It's certainly what we thought we were getting but it's not something he particularly excelled at imo - he's not bad with his back to goal, but he's not an Iwelumo type who you can just sling long balls at, he needs accurate service to chest or feet and you don't have to be tall to be good at that (step forward Sir Clive) as the Barnsley manager seems to be suggesting.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ssshhh don't let Barnsley know that.

Iwelumo is different, but hoofing long balls to him didn't really work either. Just with Gray it was even worse because he doesn't like to jump.
  • Options
    neither had much service particularly after Reidy left..
  • Options
    You're right Scoh, but I think Iwelumo was poor at that for us, not because he wasn't any good at it, but because we did it with him as a lone striker - if you're going to play that way you needy a speedy player running onto the flick ons. If you tried to partner Gray with that kind of player he just wouldn't win enough clean flick ons to make it successful imo.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Both good points. I remember one game we played Iwelumo with Lita and it actually looked like a partnership. Lita was running onto flick ons from Iwelumo. Same happened when we played Kandol and Dickson.

I think it's important we find that sort partnership made up of two different types of strikers.

If we play Gray and Burton together it's going to get predictable. Stop us from getting crosses in, don't worry if we get in behind as they don't have the pace to use it. Opposite if we played two of McLeod, Dickson and Fleetwood together, play deep and so they can't get in behind, cut off their space in and around the box. Force them to try and hold up and pass the ball, which none of them are good at.
  • Options
    Well for me it's Gray and Dicko using what we currently have, but keeping the ball on the deck a bit more. Dicko and Burton had the makings of a pairing too, I thought, but we didn't stick at it long enough to really find out. I think I'd favour Gray though because I think he'd be more likely to exploit the space Dickson could create for him and will be a more reliable scorer than Burton. I like Dickson, but I think we need to be looking to his partner to be the main goalscorer and use his pace, power and dribbling as a means to create chances for others. If he starts finding the net too then it'll be massive bonus, but we can't afford to go into next season expecting him to score 20+ - I think we should put that pressure onto a more proven and experienced player.
  • Options
    I agree I'd like to see at least one new striker come in, someone we know should score 20+ goals.

Problem is who can we sign and how much is it going to cost.
  • Options
    PP had Iwelumo and Cureton at Col U

I think Burton can do the Cureton role so I expect a Kandol type player to arrive or if we get taken over someone a bit better (don't mind Kandol but sure there is someone better out there).
  • Options
    Think thats a bit of a spurious comparison between Burton and Cureton, I'd have Burton down as more a hold up and link man - he did that very well in the home game vs Palace. As Scoh says, we need someone with some genuine pace in there push defences back a bit and give us some room to play a bit of football in.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]Think thats a bit of a spurious comparison between Burton and Cureton, I'd have Burton down as more a hold up and link man - he did that very well in the home game vs Palace. As Scoh says, we need someone with some genuine pace in there push defences back a bit and give us some room to play a bit of football in.

True he's not fast but he can score goals when he gets the service and has a bit of skill and nous/experience.
  • Options
    Agree Henry, I don't have a problem with Burton per say, just that, like all players, we're going to have to get the balance of what's around him right.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]Agree Henry, I don't have a problem with Burton per say, just that, like all players, we're going to have to get the balance of what's around him right.

Agree, he does Ok for a small guy in the air but he's not going to dominate big lump CHs in league 1.

A big runner like Steve Jones who can win something in the air would be good for us.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]A big runner like Steve Jones who can win something in the air would be good for us.

We need a mixture of strikers and that's the type we don't have at the moment. And one guaranteed to score 20+ goals of course...

Agree about Burton, decent in the air but will never dominate completely. Similar for Gray as he rarely jumps.

Dickson actually has a decent leap as well, but he's just not that sort of player.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]

Dickson actually has a decent leap as well, but he's just not that sort of player.

Probably the closest we've currently got to a Steve Jones though.

Like I say, my prefered way around this conundrum is to play the ball on the deck as much as possible and concentrate on getting the ball out wide (although we'll need a proper left sider for that to be effective). If we could get a big lump in as another option though it would be good. I guess that's why Parky has been looking at someone like Dickinson.
  • Options
    Parkinson liked Iwelumo and praised Kandol when he was here. Said a while ago if he's still manager I'd expect him to sign that sort of player.

I do agree we should play football on the floor, I wasn't suggesting getting a big striker in to play a long ball game, just to give us a balanced partnership and a few different options. We started playing decent football at the end of last season and I really hope we keep trying to.
  • Options
    Depends whose at the club.

Do we go 4-5-1 to accomodate Shelvey? Could work with a lone striker who is mobile and can hold the ball up as JJ, Bailey, Sam and Racon could make the runs to support him while Semedo sits.

But one or more of those could go so who knows. F****** if I do : - 0
  • Options
    As a general rule the lower down you go the less pace defenders have.

Play to feet with pacy strikers and wingers I reckon.
  • Options
    they are also after Alan Lee
  • Options
    Good luck to him if he goes - He shouldn't have been playing most of last season as there was no way his head would be in the game.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    From Today (Wednesday's) Current Bun

CHARLTON striker Andy Gray is joining Championship outfit Barnsley in a £600,000 switch.

Gray, 31, will undergo a medical at Oakwell today after agreeing terms with the Tykes.

Better than a free transfer but a lot less than the £1.5m fee reported to have been paid at the time. Although strangely that was reported somewhere (SLP maybe) last week as being "only" £750k.