Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Andy Gray from SLP

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: charlton_carl[/cite]they are also after Alan Lee

Would rather have Lee than Stowcroft.

Has Dickenson gone to Brighton yet?
  • Options
    I'd be suprised if it was much as that, but then again I was suprised by the Hudson fee
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]I'd be suprised if it was much as that, but then again I was suprised by the Hudson fee

If it's in the papers it must be true : - 0
  • Options
    If true £600k FFS is that all
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Found it

From the BBC

The 31-year-old, who joined the Addicks for £750,000 from Burnley in January 2008, still has two years left on his contract at The Valley.

Thought this was strange at the time as I thought we said it was £1.5m. Maybe that was the basic payable plus add ons
  • Options
    £600k is a decent price considering our position. At least the board are getting decent money for players we are selling at the moment.

The ONE thing I'll praise them for in this current climate ...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: charlton_carl[/cite]they are also after Alan Lee

Would rather have Lee than Stowcroft.

Has Dickenson gone to Brighton yet?

yes he has and rumoured to be around 100k.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    If it means we are contributing absolutely zilch to his wages as well then £600k for Gray is not bad.

I suspect his Pardew inflated wage had to be factored into the deal and a reduced fee is a good way to do it.

On the other hand it could be a crap fee and we are still paying some of his wages!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]As a general rule the lower down you go the less pace defenders have.

Play to feet with pacy strikers and wingers I reckon.[/quote]

That's my recollection of Division 3 based on past experience. I think pace would be better except if the grounds are heavy.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Found it

From the BBC

The 31-year-old, who joined the Addicks for £750,000 from Burnley in January 2008, still has two years left on his contract at The Valley.

Thought this was strange at the time as I thought we said it was £1.5m. Maybe that was the basic payable plus add ons

This wouldn't be the first time we've been given a grand headline figure by the OS when signing the player only for it to be said to be much lower when we've come to sell the palyer at an apparent loss.

Not accusing anyone of lying here, but it does make you wonder if things aren't being spun a bit.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Considering his family problems I wish him all the best. But I really do hope we sign a decent striker to replace him, with the money from the sale.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite][quote]

This wouldn't be the first time we've been given a grand headline figure by the OS when signing the player only for it to be said to be much lower when we've come to sell the palyer at an apparent loss.

Not accusing anyone of lying here, but it does make you wonder if things aren't being spun a bit.[/quote]

Could have been spun at the front end as well as now, perhaps to appease Burnley who might not have wanted others to see they were selling player 'on the cheap' etc

Never know with these things
  • Options
    600K sounds about right to me....wish him all the best...its a shame that prike Pardew ever signed him in the first place.
  • Options
    Lets hope the papers say 600k but we get more like 800k-1mill? Like with the hudson deal what was rumoured to be 700k ;)

Plus he had add on's for if we reached the play offs, how many goals he scored and if we got promoted to the Premier League.
  • Options
    If we can get £600k that's a good deal for us and maybe a good deal for Barnsley if they get the best out of him.
  • Options
    I also seem to remember plenty of add-ons including a substantial payment for promotion to the Premier.
    It's quite possible that has never been paid out ....(!)

There's usually add-ons after a certain number of appearances plus goals scored.
    So I doubt those payments have kicked in either.

Looking back our old favourite Fanny Jeffers came to us in a £2.6million deal, but so much of it included add-ons for goals scored and appearances - I heard Arsenal were paid no more than the £500k first instalment.

So £750k for Gray is possibly all we've paid so far.

He's quite possibly the highest paid player left at the club - remember at the time Burnley didn't want to sell, but said Charlton had made the player an offer that doubled his Burnley wage.

I guess the Board will see it as most of their money back plus removing a substantial wedge from the overheads list.
  • Options
    decent bit of business really, never quite hit it off down here, clearly a fairly decent earner and not bad money back.

obviously previously documented family problems have had an effect on him, so probably a good move for all concerned.

wish him (and his family) all the best
  • Options
    Nothing on the Official Site!
  • Options
    would be happy with that fee as long as we're not still paying his wages. wonder if we'll ever find out?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Looking back our old favourite Fanny Jeffers came to us in a £2.6million deal, but so much of it included add-ons for goals scored and appearances - I heard Arsenal were paid no more than the £500k first instalment.

I remember that, if true that was actually a decent deal. £500k a small gamble (at the time, not now) on a striker that a few years before was meant to be very promising and a future England regular.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Looking back at it, Pardew signing Andy Gray over Sylvan Ebanks-Blake was a bit ridiculous really wasn't it?
  • Options
    As player yes but remember SEB was up on a GBH charge at the time and could have gone away for a couple of years.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_div_2/default.stm

Dickinson signed for Brighton for 100k. 43 goals in 79 starts - not bad.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]Looking back at it, Pardew signing Andy Gray over Sylvan Ebanks-Blake was a bit ridiculous really wasn't it?

Also remember, Pardew said he needed to replace Todorov, and therefore Gray was a logical choice.

He had good hold-up play and distribution, and been getting getting good service from Burnley's left winger Kyle Somebody-Can't-Remember-His-Name, scoring with headers and penalties and leading CCC goalscorer at the time.

So from Pardew's perspective, Gray ticked all the boxes.

Sylvan Ebay-Blanks was available from Plymouth, but Pardew quite possibly considered that player was a striker more in the mould of Luke Varney and Dizzy McLeod.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]Looking back at it, Pardew signing Andy Gray over Sylvan Ebanks-Blake was a bit ridiculous really wasn't it?

Also remember, Pardew said he needed to replaceTodorov, and therefore Gray was a logical choice.

He had good hold-up play and distribution, and been getting getting good service from Burnley's left winger Kyle Somebody-Can't-Remember-His-Name, scoring with headers and penalties and leading CCC goalscorer at the time.

So from Pardew's perspective, Gray ticked all the boxes.

Sylvan Ebay-Blanks was available from Plymouth, but Pardew quite possibly considered that player was a striker more in the mould of Luke Varney and Dizzy McLeod.

Kyle Lafferty is the name you're looking for. Now at Rangers.

Pardew may have considered SEB to be in the same mould as Varney and McLeod, but everyone else could recognise that he was/is at least 10 times better.
  • Options
    No doubt, but he already had Varney, McLeod and Dicko for that role.

Todorov was the one injured, everybody thought he wouldn't come back - and of course, as OoAah would say, we were in our then rightful position of 5th and expected to make at least the playoffs, so a strong hold up player like Gray was needed immediately.

Pardew isn't my choice of all time favourite Charlton manager, but I could understand and agree with his reasoning.
    Other factors ensured that signing the player didn't work out.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]No doubt, but he already had Varney, McLeod and Dicko for that role.

Todorov was the one injured, everybody thought he wouldn't come back - and of course, as OoAah would say, we were in our then rightful position of 5th and expected to make at least the playoffs, so a strong hold up player like Gray was needed immediately.

Pardew isn't my choice of all time favourite Charlton manager, but I could understand and agree with his reasoning.
    Other factors ensured that signing the player didn't work out.

Agree with all your points. I think everyone expected Gray to play better than he ever did. I'm just jealous of the other teams really: £1.5m on SEB, £100k on McCormack... bargains out there (not that I can think of any more!).
  • Options
    Looks like we are getting rid of some Pardew deadwood which is good to see.
  • Options
    From the financial point of view, maybe.

From a footballing perspective, he would have been very influential in the Third Division, with a quality 1st touch and a striker's mentality in front of goal - providing you gave him a service and didn't expect him to work the channels like
    Luke Varney.

And he takes a penalty like Clive Mendonca.

So who do we replace him with - a trialist from Dagenham & Redbridge ......?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]So who do we replace him with - a trialist from Dagenham & Redbridge ......?

No, they're in League Two. Far too high. We prefer Isthmiam Division 1 South. Trialists from the likes of Croydon Athletic.