Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Official Ashes 2009 thread

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]I watched all of Trott's two innings live at the Oval. I think it is the most impressive Test debut for England since D I Gower in 1978.
    As for the game, despite all the records being thrown around, I don't think a win for us is going to be plain sailing.

Thorpe and Strauss might have something to say about that.
  • Options
    Cracking start, broad n swann wicket a piece. Two openers gone!

Come on England!
  • Options
    Seems my concerns about Ponting may come true. Now hes on 38 and looking very comfy the real danger could be he gets 150
  • Options
    if england dont bowl them all out is it a draw even though the aussies have scored less runs?
  • Options
    Yes NLA - the side bowling last needs to take ten wickets to get a win
  • Options
    right

then why is everyone saying england will def win the ashes then are the aussies not good enough to not take any risks and stay in for 2day and 2morrow i heard goughie say that he said it will be all over by 5pm today

in my humble non cricket minded opinion it will be a draw
  • Options
    Because no side has ever got anywhere near scoring 500-odd runs to win a test batting last. Its not impossible - and the more these two limpets are at the crease, the more chance it might happen - but its very, very, very unlikely. Normally pitches deteriorate over the course of a match - and batting last you never want to be chasing more than 300 - even on a decent wicket. That said, despite the pitch on Friday afternoon looking like it was a minefield and would only get worse, it actually looks like its held up reasonably well
  • Options
    GO Freddie !!
  • Options
    Oh dear Ricky!
    :o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]Because no side has ever got anywhere near scoring 500-odd runs to win a test batting last. Its not impossible - and the more these two limpets are at the crease, the more chance it might happen - but its very, very, very unlikely. Normally pitches deteriorate over the course of a match - and batting last you never want to be chasing more than 300 - even on a decent wicket. That said, despite the pitch on Friday afternoon looking like it was a minefield and would only get worse, it actually looks like its held up reasonably well

i get that bit bud but what if the aussies just did feck all to chase the amount needed to win by drawing the match they retain the ashes dont they

ps has ricky gone
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cheerio, cheerio cheerio..!
  • Options
    Never mind Ricky - Clarke too!

Quality bits of fielding, both of them - but stupidity from the Aussies
  • Options
    Unforgiveable for the captain and vice-captain to get themselves out like that
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]Because no side has ever got anywhere near scoring 500-odd runs to win a test batting last. Its not impossible - and the more these two limpets are at the crease, the more chance it might happen - but its very, very, very unlikely. Normally pitches deteriorate over the course of a match - and batting last you never want to be chasing more than 300 - even on a decent wicket. That said, despite the pitch on Friday afternoon looking like it was a minefield and would only get worse, it actually looks like its held up reasonably well

i get that bit bud but what if the aussies just did feck all to chase the amount needed to win by drawing the match they retain the ashes dont they

ps has ricky gone
    Yes - Australia only have to draw to retain the Ashes, but its one thing to say you;re going to go out and block for two days, another to actually do it. You can't just block spin, for starters, because the ball turns like mad - you have to get forward and play strokes rather than just watch the ball onto the bat because it could take a naughty hop off the pitch and snake up onto the bat, giving the fielders around the bat a catch. Also, when the fast bowlers come in, they'll be trying everything to get the ball to move, either in the air or off the seam - any deviation from where you're expecting and you'll be out LBW, or edge it to slip
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]

ps has ricky gone

Yes but it's virtually imposible to bat for 2 full days and not be all out.

They've lost 4 wickets now in half a day, so proves my point.
  • Options
    Just loaded the garage fridge up with Brahma and Peroni.Hopefully in a few hours i'll be polishing off the bloody lot!
  • Options
    Where d'ya live - A few of us will be round to help if you want?? ;)
  • Options
    i dont know feck all about the cricket but i hope that we win cos i dont like gloating aussies i just fear that there seems to be an amount of eventuality about us winning which if i concerns me

but i will bow to your superiour knowledge and enjoy the rest of the 2 days play
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]Just loaded the garage fridge up with Brahma and Peroni.Hopefully in a few hours i'll be polishing off the bloody lot!

Think Collinwood's beat me to 'em. KIN hell colly!!
  • Options
    Five down!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LOL - they're beating 'emselves here!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]LOL - they're beating 'emselves here!

Great aint it.How good is Prior.
  • Options
    So, who gets MOM? Trott for his hundred? Broad for his five-fer? Swann for runs and wickets?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]LOL - they're beating 'emselves here!

Great aint it.How good is Prior.
    Awesome keeper. Up there with Stewart, Boucher and Gilchrist for me. If he can keep it up for another couple of years he'll be a legend.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]So, who gets MOM? Trott for his hundred? Broad for his five-fer? Swann for runs and wickets?

Flintoff for being there?

Broad for me.Turned the game on it's head
  • Options
    Why is Kevin Pietersen there?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]Why is Kevin Pietersen there?

He's got more right to be there than Harry Fookin Potter. That fella has pone of those faces that I just want to smack.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]Why is Kevin Pietersen there?

He's got more right to be there than Harry Fookin Potter. That fella has pone of those faces that I just want to smack.
    Disagree. If Daniel Radcliffe wants to pay his money and support England - or anyone - he has every right. I just don't know why Pietersen is allowed (encouraged?) to tip up, in the England dressing room, when the cameras are flying.
  • Options
    KP is employed by Team England, why wouldn't he be there?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]KP is employed by Team England, why wouldn't he be there?
    I just think it looks like he's muscling in on everyone else's celebrations. I didn't see him at Headingley, when we were under it.