Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Paddy Kenny suspended for drugs

Sheffield United have suspended keeper Paddy Kenny for failing a drugs test.

Kenny tested positive for a banned substance, ephedrine, following last season's Championship play-off semi-final second leg against Preston.

Ephedrine is believed to be present in a cough mixture that the Republic of Ireland international is understood to have bought over the counter.

"We confirm Paddy has been suspended. This is an ongoing, confidential matter," read a club statement.

The 31-year-old could face a lengthy ban following last month's test, carried out by UK Sport - the agency responsible for drug testing programmes in sport.

The Football Association and UK Sport have so far refused to comment over the matter.

Comments

• Options
    FFS he bought a cough mixture!!

these players cant chance anything these days!!
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Relegate them and give us out 6 points back

Justice must be done.
  • Options
    Tevez's fault.
  • Options
    When working for the oil company we use to get random drugs tested, on the list of substances that would make you fail it if taken within the previous 24hrs was NightNurse.
  • Options
    They'll probably take West Ham to court over this!!!
  • Options
    Might as well get hung for a sheep as a lamb, then
  • Options
    Ephidrine is also present in substances that you shouldnt be taking as well

think if they can prove that it was cough medicine then it is a serious over reactionand the poor bloke will unforgivingly be tarnished
  • Options
    is paddy a bit porky - as ephidrine is contained in a lot of fat loss pills i think.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Spankie[/cite]They'll probably take West Ham to court over this!!!

i hope they win again.
  • Options
    Banned from football ...... for taking the same cough mixture you buy over the counter and give to your kids.

Football is becoming a farce!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ephedrine.....

FFS ive got the flu and am taking sudafed that has it in it......

how is that gonna help him in goal.....

I think they know that there is a lot of underhand stuff going on now and they have to 'bust' there certain quota each year to keep the numbers up or something..... ridonculous if you ask me
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    OFG's sake Ephedrine is a banned decongestant and has been for years in nearly every major clued up sport. Just because football's twenty years behind athletics and thirty years behind cycling..... If he can prove that it was an over the counter med then he should easily get off any charges - quite rightly - mainly because football has virtually no strong governing body; they'll always cave in.

Ephedrine should be banned it is a dangerous stimulant, that messes with the heart and has led to heart attacks. It's no surprise that a halfwit like Kenny wouldn't know about it and thus in a fair world he should be let off. Of course it's a classic excuse...
  • Options
    Problem is, under the regulations of UK Sport ephedrine is a banned substance, regardless of how it got into the body.

Let's be honest if you were taking it knowingly you'd probably say the same thing as Paddy Kenny has. Until the full facts are known it's impossible to speculate.

Irresponsible to report in the first place IMO, more disappointing from Kenny's POV that it's the club that has done so.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]

Ephedrine should be banned it is a dangerous stimulant, that messes with the heart and has led to heart attacks. It's no surprise that a halfwit like Kenny wouldn't know about it and ........

He's not the only halfwit out there who doesn't know about it.

Ask the rest of this nation - they just respond to TV or magazine advertising, buy the medicine, take it themselves and give it to their kids.

If it's dangerous and messes with the heart, then the public need to be made properly aware of it and non-prescription availability withdrawn.

Or is it okay for profiteering pharmacetical companies to make fat profit at the expense of public health ..... ?
  • Options
    yes thought the halfwit comment was pretty rude considering...

i only know about it as i wsa looking at some fat busting pills and these were banned in the US because it contained ephidrine as they were bad for the heart.
  • Options
    Not being funny but the fact it's a fat busting agent doesn't help Paddy's cause, it's a widely known fact he has an ongoing battle with the bulge. Makes you wonder about other players who ballooned straight after retiring.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: C_f_W[/cite]Not being funny but the fact it's a fat busting agent doesn't help Paddy's cause, it's a widely known fact he has an ongoing battle with the bulge. Makes you wonder about other players who ballooned straight after retiring.

Peter Garland never even heard of it.

That was obvious.

;o)
  • Options
    Who breaks a butterfly on a wheel? to quote The Times in another drug case.

He has tested positive for a banned substance and so quite rightly has been suspended until the case can be investigated.

It may have been an innocent mistake although he should have been advised, or have listened to advice given, as to what medicines he could and could not take. Mark Fish had to get permission to take some banned drugs after he fell thru his glass table for example.

He could have been taking the drug knowingly to boost performance or to help weight loss. We just don't know.
  • Options
    JT's right. Someone should really sue West Ham over this. Quite suprised by this, as he seemed to have lost a bit of weight this year and probably and his best season for Sheffield Utd yet...Now we know why!
  • Options
    Do you believe that Mark Fish fell through his glass table?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]Do you believe that Mark Fish fell through his glass table?

Before or after taking banned substances .... ?

;o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]Do you believe that Mark Fish fell through his glass table?

Yes I do.

What he was doing at the time is another question!
  • Options
    Firstly it's been well documented before that sportsmen have lost out from using over the counter de-congestants. Ask Alan Baxter. If football players are tested then they will have had documentation from their governing body and their union. I would imagine, just a guess, that the PFA often take foolish footballers through some very simple guidelines on what to do re drugs. Ask a bloody doctor first. It's his career so he's entitled to be a halfwit.

Firstly psuedoephedrine in over the counter medication is at a safe level; pretty much all decongestants have something to stimulate certain receptors to reduce swelling and mucus sceretion. But if you yourself can't be bothered to follow the instructions then yes you may down too much and have a nasty surprise with your existing heart problems; again personal stupidity.

PseudoEphedrine used as a stimulant, usually, at much higher dosages becomes dangerous. It was very popular in bodybuilders stimulants and slimmers pills. Anyone whose seen Generation Kill will see them popping Ripped Fuel which HAD natural ephedra in it. They were using it to keep awake and using at that level is dangerous both re heart, dehydration and psychosis. For one use it's quite sensible, for another at the higher dosage it becomes dangerous especially for people under high physical exertion. That's why cycling banned it thirty plus years ago and it should stay banned. No doubt Kenny's level will prove he did not take it as a stimulant.

I'm no lover of big pharma but if people would just read or take time to understand the obvious, just as important for halfwit footballers, then we could keep medication at levels that work instead of reducing them for halfwits. People need to take responsibility for themselves.
  • Options
    Fish was trying to get some EPO grow.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]is paddy a bit porky - as ephidrine is contained in a lot of fat loss pills i think.

It is in weightloss drugs and unsurprisingly Kenny lost alot of weight last season!
  • Options
    Looking like Dean Kiely does that to a man....................
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]is paddy a bit porky - as ephidrine is contained in a lot of fat loss pills i think.

It is in weightloss drugs and unsurprisingly Kenny lost alot of weight last season!

Whoah, there.

Innocent until proven guilty and all that.

Robbie Elliot lost weight = on drugs by that logic.
  • Options
    Did he not have his ear bitten off in a fight in a curry shop last year? I expect that was over drugs too, now I've heard this.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]Did he not have his ear bitten off in a fight in a curry shop last year? I expect that was over drugs too, now I've heard this.

I think it was his eye brow.
  • Options
    Shane Warne was banned for taking an OTC diuretic given to him by his mother allegedly because he wasn't to lose weight ahead of a press conference. Professional sports people are given a list of banned substances and Paddy Kenny should have known to have either consulted that or better still to have gone to the team doctor (presumably Sheff Utd could afford one) for the correct advice on what to take.