Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

scariest pubs

Comments

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    SE_7EVEN said:
    Jayajosh said:
    The Duchess Welling , long gone thank god. The Crown & Cushion Woolwich, could be very nationalistic venue ! The Eardley Arms Belverdere, Travellers The Five Stars & Red Lion Foots Cray Travellers ! The White Swan Crayford (Crayford Skins) The Rose Bexleyheath, if the Kent Hells Angels were in
    Add the Plough in Welling to that list.
    And the Glenmore Arms Plumstead/Welling 

I thought the Glenmore was ok - maybe it's me who's rough!

The Rose Inn in Brewery Road was a bit tasty at times!
    Glenmore Road itself always had a bad reputation in late 60s / 70s Never ventured into the pub  :D
    Glenmore Rd was very dodgy in the 70's, living a couple of roads away, it was best avoided. I had a punch up with a kid at school from the Glenmore road side of Keats Rd and had to run the gauntlet of his older brother looking for me for a while, they were a very well known family in the area. Ironically after the dust settled, we got on quite well.

The Glenmore Arms was ok if you were a local, but I guess could seem intimidating to outsiders. A girl who lived opposite me ended up running the pub for many years and still often mentions her time their on social media.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Barrier Arms - White Horse - The Albion - The Westminster - Millionaire / Dockers 

Lived over North Woolwich for a while - The Standard - Henley Arms -Manor House - There was another one further along Albert Road, but can't think of the name of it.

Not sure if any of them so much as scary though, but definitely had a mixture of very shady characters in them at any one time

Was with a girl for a while, who lived in Pope House just off Southwark Park Road and went in most of the pubs round there, in what I'd consider bandit country and that's where I actually felt paranoid on a couple of occasions. Is it The Forresters(?) and there was one round the back of the shops that weren't very hospitable. Remember her getting the hump with me one night coz I wanted to drink up and go somewhere else as soon as we got our drinks lol. More Reebok Workouts and Ralph polos than you can shake a stick at.
  • Options
    I’ve drank in many of the pubs mentioned and never thought of them of being overly rough, not sure what that says about me.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Gribbo said:
    Barrier Arms - White Horse - The Albion - The Westminster - Millionaire / Dockers 

Lived over North Woolwich for a while - The Standard - Henley Arms -Manor House - There was another one further along Albert Road, but can't think of the name of it.

Not sure if any of them so much as scary though, but definitely had a mixture of very shady characters in them at any one time

Was with a girl for a while, who lived in Pope House just off Southwark Park Road and went in most of the pubs round there, in what I'd consider bandit country and that's where I actually felt paranoid on a couple of occasions. Is it The Forresters(?) and there was one round the back of the shops that weren't very hospitable. Remember her getting the hump with me one night coz I wanted to drink up and go somewhere else as soon as we got our drinks lol. More Reebok Workouts and Ralph polos than you can shake a stick at.

Back in the early 80s I used to run a betting shop in the Blue. It was next door to the Colleen Bawn, and used to drink in there a lot. Could be very lively but I was seen as 'friendly' so never had any issues.

The Forresters was another matter!
  • Options
    The Skinners Arms in Aberystwyth nearly lived up to its name one day in the late 60's. It was a good thing that I could run relatively quickly in those days.
  • Options
    The King's Arms, Eltham, always had trouble. Particularly in the bar it became (late 80s can't remember the name?) But not as much trouble as the New X Inn. Never seen things kick off so regularly  as there. Monday lunchtime, Friday and Saturday nights,  the hour just after work ~ grim. 

Miss the Man of Kent & Welcome Inn. Neither scarey. But perhaps the fact I miss them is scarey!  

The Wat Tyler and The Castle and the boozer on the barnfield were desperate holes. I remember a bloke at the bar leaning over and telling me if I as much as look in his direction ever again he'd glass me. It began my fascination with pub carpeting designs! 
    When Percy had the kings arms late 80s/early 90s think it was known as knights at the kings arms.
    Always a ‘youngsters’ pub but never really thought it scary. Probably because I drank in the Grey.
    Yes mainly a youngsters pub. Not so much scarey as a place youngsters would try it on. Grandkids of the oldies from the Chequers down the hill I always thought... 

There was that night club down the bypass on the way to the Grey too. What was that called? 
    Danielle’s at the Dutch house?
  • Options
    No matter how many times I see a photo of that pub, the same memories come flooding back. Never gets old
  • Options
    TEL said:
    bobmunro said:
    SE_7EVEN said:
    Jayajosh said:
    The Duchess Welling , long gone thank god. The Crown & Cushion Woolwich, could be very nationalistic venue ! The Eardley Arms Belverdere, Travellers The Five Stars & Red Lion Foots Cray Travellers ! The White Swan Crayford (Crayford Skins) The Rose Bexleyheath, if the Kent Hells Angels were in

Glenmore Road itself always had a bad reputation in late 60s / 70s Never ventured into the pub  :D
    Glenmore Rd was very dodgy in the 70's, living a couple of roads away, it was best avoided. I had a punch up with a kid at school from the Glenmore road side of Keats Rd and had to run the gauntlet of his older brother looking for me for a while, they were a very well known family in the area. Ironically after the dust settled, we got on quite well.

The Glenmore Arms was ok if you were a local, but I guess could seem intimidating to outsiders. A girl who lived opposite me ended up running the pub for many years and still often mentions her time their on social media.
    Converted to flats now, was on site myself a couple of months ago 
  • Options
    The King's Arms, Eltham, always had trouble. Particularly in the bar it became (late 80s can't remember the name?) But not as much trouble as the New X Inn. Never seen things kick off so regularly  as there. Monday lunchtime, Friday and Saturday nights,  the hour just after work ~ grim. 

Miss the Man of Kent & Welcome Inn. Neither scarey. But perhaps the fact I miss them is scarey!  

The Wat Tyler and The Castle and the boozer on the barnfield were desperate holes. I remember a bloke at the bar leaning over and telling me if I as much as look in his direction ever again he'd glass me. It began my fascination with pub carpeting designs! 
    When Percy had the kings arms late 80s/early 90s think it was known as knights at the kings arms.
    Always a ‘youngsters’ pub but never really thought it scary. Probably because I drank in the Grey.
    Yes mainly a youngsters pub. Not so much scarey as a place youngsters would try it on. Grandkids of the oldies from the Chequers down the hill I always thought... 

There was that night club down the bypass on the way to the Grey too. What was that called? 
    Yeah, Many a late night in 
    Danielle’s. Usually after an
    evenings drinking in 
    The Royal
    corner of bypass & Court Rd.
    if memory correct. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gribbo said:
    No matter how many times I see a photo of that pub, the same memories come flooding back. Never gets old
    Remember when we had no transport for the pub team one Sunday morning.
    Fred bunged me the keys to his transit and commented;
    ”if it comes on top boy, make sure you take the keys with you”
    Blinding guvnor was Fred.
  • Options
    ROTW said:
    Gribbo said:
    Do you remember coming down Fisher for a cup game with John C that time, sure it was you and someone else. It was mobbed down there. We attempted to go in one of the pubs Downtown and I think we gave em all a swerve that day and come back to Charlton.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    TEL said:
    bobmunro said:
    SE_7EVEN said:
    Jayajosh said:

Yes there was at least two well known families, used to go to infants school with one of the daughters, she had 17 brothers & sisters  :D. The other family which I will take a guess at, there were a number of brothers, I used to get on OK at senior school with one of the younger ones. He got shot dead by the police in a Securicor hold up at the East Wickham Farm (think that was the location edit just realised EW Farm is in Wickham Street think the hold up was on land at bottom of Shooters Hill).
  • Options
    The Upton at Bexleyheath (which became The Jolly Draymen I think) could be a bit "rough" at times in the early 70s.  
  • Options

Yeah, Many a late night in 
    Danielle’s. Usually after an
    evenings drinking in 
    The Royal
    corner of bypass & Court Rd.
    if memory correct. 
    Yes remember it well. 👍
  • Options

That's it!👍 Is the Dutch House still there? 
  • Options

Yes, it has been done up and is now a restaurant. Nice tbf.
  • Options

Yes, it has been done up and is now a restaurant. Nice tbf.
    The nightclub part of it has been transformed into a timber merchants/builders yard I think 
  • Options
    TEL said:
    bobmunro said:
    SE_7EVEN said:
    Jayajosh said:

Yes there was at least two well known families, used to go to infants school with one of the daughters, she had 17 brothers & sisters  :D. The other family which I will take a guess at, there were a number of brothers, I used to get on OK at senior school with one of the younger ones. He got shot dead by the police in a Securicor hold up at the East Wickham Farm (think that was the location edit just realised EW Farm is in Wickham Street think the hold up was on land at bottom of Shooters Hill).
    I've got a distant recollection of that hold up, think it might have been the old co-op abattoir that you got to via Swingate/High Grove.

Remember the Glenmore gangs, having been brought up on the Poets estate. 
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    ROTW said:
    Gribbo said:
    Do you remember coming down Fisher for a cup game with John C that time, sure it was you and someone else. It was mobbed down there. We attempted to go in one of the pubs Downtown and I think we gave em all a swerve that day and come back to Charlton.
    Yeah mate, with Mr Egan. Went in a pub near the station and it was not pleasant. Chelmsford City, John Terrys brother was playing/managing? if my memory serves me correct. That’s why Bob the yob wanted to go.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    TEL said:
    bobmunro said:
    SE_7EVEN said:
    Jayajosh said:

I've got a distant recollection of that hold up, think it might have been the old co-op abattoir that you got to via Swingate/High Grove.

Yes the abattoir seems to ring a bell, long time ago now !
  • Options
    ROTW said:
    Gribbo said:
    ROTW said:
    Gribbo said:
    Yeah mate, with Mr Egan. Went in a pub near the station and it was not pleasant. Chelmsford City, John Terrys brother was playing/managing? if my memory serves me correct. That’s why Bob the yob wanted to go.
    Yeah, that was it
  • Options
    Was thinking earlier @ROTW, do you remember that afternoon spent in the Jaggy Thiste? 
  • Options
    TEL said:
    bobmunro said:
    SE_7EVEN said:
    Jayajosh said:

Most of the Glenmore gang went to my school in Elsa Rd Welling.
  • Options
    TEL said:

The latter one was the family I was talking about. The shooting was at the Abbatoir that you used to be able to walk to via the farmers fields at the end of Keats Road.....up towards Shooters Hill. The guy who got shot was the lad who was after me, as I said, got on ok with them after the punch up so all was well.

I knew the other family well too, however I thought there were 11 kids....I knew one of the girls well. 

There was another family too that had a reputation, however I always found them to be really nice people.

It was a poor and tough little area, surrounded by almost gentrified suburbia in the 70's......anyone living in a council house (like me) was deemed as being "rough", so much so that my best mates Mum told him he wasnt to hang around with council house people.....I look back in irony really as my mate used to laugh and joke about were he grew up in Rotherhithe...Charlton lad through and through though.

• Options
    DA9 said:
    TEL said:
    Converted to flats now, was on site myself a couple of months ago 
    Yeah I saw that when I was last over. The former landlady often posts things about the pub, I think the last time I probably went in there was 1978 :)

I moved down to Hawley near the Papermakers Arms shortly after. Was like living in the countryside then.....how things change.
  • Options
    The Dutch House was bloody terrifying and I only ever walked or drove past it! 
  • Options
    Place called Maxwell's in Oulu in Northern Finland. Group of us went in there before the FC Tevarit friendly back in the Premier League days. Not so much scary, more a lunatic asylum.

It was open 24hrs a day and there were some proper states in their.

Upon arrival a huge Teddy Boy approached us, showed us his recent stab wound in his ample belly and proceeded to regale us of various stories about the "battles" he had fought in that very pub. Transpired he was doing some weird interview as he thought we were traditional English Footie Hooligans and wanted to join our "mob" and come to the game with us.

@Charlton_Charlie attracted a fair bit of attention from a local junkie. His breath smelt like he had been eating dogshit. I recall him explaining that Trainspotting was his favourite film and then extolling the virtues of Heroin for the next half an hour. Real bromance!

We met a local Charlton Fan (Matti?) who used to post on Netaddicks and his uncle and they seemed a little surprised we had gone in there!
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    The Porcupine in Mottingham was full of low life knuckle draggers when I had the misfortune to find myself in there few years back.
    The pub interior itself was also a soulless depressing excuse for a pub.
    Grim. 😩 
  • Options
    The Pineapple in Mottingham was full of low life knuckle draggers when I had the misfortune to find myself in there few years back.
    The pub interior itself was also a soulless depressing excuse for a pub.
    Grim. 😩 
    " Pineapple" Porcupine ?

I was in there one night with a friend who was back from America after a few years away. He commented that it was  a bit of dive and asked if it was known for trouble. Seconds after me explaining to him that will probably happen later when the locals have drunk a bit, a fight broke out between to guys that were supposedly good friends.