Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Grant Basey - This season is crucial for me - SLP

edited July 2009 in General Charlton
CHARLTON defender Grant Basey knows he must impress this year or face the prospect of having to look for a new club after 11 seasons at The Valley.
The Addicks left-back is in the final year of his contract, so he is only too aware that the forthcoming campaign will be crucial in shaping his long-term future.
This is the last year of my contract so its an important year for me on a personal level as well as for the team, Basey told the South London Press.
I believe being a regular in the side is an achievable aim for me."

Comments

• Options
    Has the makings of a reasonable midfielder imo, but he's not a left back. Decent cover to have around next season though because he can do an emergency job in a number of positions and he could still be a soltution to the left wing problem because he'll offer Youga much more cover than an orthadox winger and is naturally left sided.
  • Options
    Somebody needs to look at bringing him inside to be a centrally minded player, and coaching him thus. Doesn't appear to be a long term left back player.
  • Options
    Really hope he makes the break through this season. Really like this guy for some reason, League 1 could be a place where he finds his level and gets confidence in playing regularly.
  • Options
    He's right, he's really got to prove himself. At the moment it's hard to see him breaking through. He's got to find his best position, in just a couple of seasons involved with the first team he's played LB, LM, CM and CB (well only in friendlies). At the moment he's just going to be on the bench every match because he's versatile but not as good as other players in his position.

I don't think he'll do it unless we lose quite a few more players. Good attitude though and alongside Jonjo our best set piece taker.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]Somebody needs to look at bringing him inside to be a centrally minded player, and coaching him thus. Doesn't appear to be a long term left back player.[/quote]

Completely agree.
  • Options
    He has physical presence, a sweet left foot and appears to have a decent attitude but is too slow to be a full back. Centreback or Central midfield could be where his future lies in my view.
  • Options
    Looking at him I always thought center midfield would suit him. Personally I think he's a better bet there than Semedo. Having said that it's imperative the guy starts playing center back as much as possible atm
  • Options
    E said it before and I'll say it again - he could be our Gareth Barry.

Good technique, passing and a cracking left foot. I really hope he comes through
  • Options
    Haven't seen much of him, but I like what I've seen. If he played in midfield, he'd remind me of Darren Pitcher, who at his best was a very good player, tough in the tackle, determined but not too quick. Basey has the advantage of having a great left foot at set plays.
  • Options
    Too slow for a full back, not good enough to go past people. Alright at dead balls. Not going to displace Shelvey, Semedo, Racon, Bailey, Spring et al.

He is destined for another club unless we lose all of the above. Just because he's homegrown doesn't mean he's good enough - ergo Jamie Stuart, Paul Sturgess, Kim Grant ...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He's played CB in PSF's hasnt he?

Good enough there?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]Somebody needs to look at bringing him inside to be a centrally minded player, and coaching him thus. Doesn't appear to be a long term left back player.

Yep, personally I think the only position he could play is a 'holding midfielder' in a 5 man midfield with 2 more attacking one's in front of him, 2 wide men and a striker.....his problem is his severe lack of pace and at his age he's only gonna get slower!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]He's played CB in PSF's hasnt he?

Good enough there?

Can't judge against the level of opposition he's playing against. Same with Mambo.

According to his dad, his best ever performance was a reserve game behind closed doors against Wolves in which he played at centre back half.
  • Options
    He impressed me at centre backagainst Welling. Good distribution, heading was good, and communicated well.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]E said it before and I'll say it again - he could be our Gareth Barry.

Good technique, passing and a cracking left foot. I really hope he comes through

If he's our Gareth Barry let's sell him for £12M. All our problems sorted :-)
  • Options
    Can see him on the left side of midfield next year if we sell one of Sam,Bailey, Shelvey or Racon
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ross[/cite]He impressed me at centre backagainst Welling. Good distribution, heading was good, and communicated well.

Except when he was hoofing it, trying to pick out players. We created chances when we passed it on the floor.
  • Options
    I like him. Proper footballer.

Agree he could be a Gareth Barry style midfielder for us but I think he does well out wide too.
  • Options
    was out with him last night.

top lad. He's a Charlton fan as well.

Oh and he hates Millwall - he joined in with a chant in the club!
  • Options
    I like him, good honest pro of which there are not many. Great left foot and decent player overall, just a shame he is so slow and maybe could do with losing a pound or two (not fat just too much bulk i think). Someone in the centre will probably be his best position imo.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2009
    [cite]Posted By: SE10Addick[/cite]top lad. He's a Charlton fan as well.

I thought he just liked the club as he's been here so long, rather than being a fan like Elliot, who had a season ticket.
  • Options
    Maybe we've grown on him.
  • Options
    I think he looks like he has slimmed down since last season.

Don't think he'll make it at left back or centre back but do get the Barry-type player comparisons.
  • Options
    reminds me of a Darren Pitcher,central midfield made him.
  • Options
    Interesting looking at the Millwall ratings thread, Basey's ratings range from 3 up to 7.

How can there be such a difference in opinion over him? Can understand ratings from 4 to 6, but 7 suggests he had a good solid game and 3 suggests he was terrible made a lot of poor mistakes.

Seems to be a lot opinions in general over Basey. Maybe it doesn't help that no one is completely sure of his best position.

For me he will play a part this season but hasn't shown he's good enough to be a regular. Youga has had a good season and I can't see Basey breaking into the midfield or at centre back unless we have a lot of injuries/suspensions.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]He's right, he's really got to prove himself. At the moment it's hard to see him breaking through. He's got to find his best position, in just a couple of seasons involved with the first team he's played LB, LM, CM and CB (well only in friendlies). At the moment he's just going to be on the bench every match because he's versatile but not as good as other players in his position.

I don't think he'll do it unless we lose quite a few more players. Good attitude though and alongside Jonjo our best set piece taker.
    Having looked back at what I said in July all of that still applies.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    He's a very average LB for me, not helped by the fact he's as slow as Phil Chapple. Needs to concentrate more on defending and less on his suntan.

That said i would like to see him given a go at left mid when Youga is fit again
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]reminds me of a Darren Pitcher,central midfield made him.

and moving to palace f*cked him
  • Options
    Right look at the whole thread and you will see that sort of variance with most players, secondly he had a poor game defensively but not so going forward

So the arguement is those that marked him as 7 didnt see both sides of play? or in most cases they could like the player

I personally think him and waggy were our worse players, as millwalls main threat come down that side. yes he could not be faulted for effort

I still think he is ok player but not great think we would do ok LM when youga is back!
  • Options
    I like him but he is too slow for a LB. Needs to move into a CM role at some stage and I thin khe could be a natural successor to Semedo as and when he moves on.