Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Grant Basey - This season is crucial for me - SLP

2»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite]Right look at the whole thread and you will see that sort of variance with most players
    I was really trying to make the point that it seems to happen with Basey even more. Not just in the ratings thread. Almost everyone will agree Bailey is a good player, Youga has improved etc, but I was just thinking why do some people either rate Basey very highly while others not at all.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: valleyman[/cite]I like him but he is too slow for a LB. Needs to move into a CM role at some stage and I thin khe could be a natural successor to Semedo as and when he moves on.

Fair comment, he's a very good footballer but because of his lack of pace he needs to be used in an area where that doesn't matter, I like the idea of playing him at CB or defensive midfield, his game reading skills can be used well there, and if he does play in defensive midfield you can expect a few good raking passes to the left/right wings. If you see the highlights of the Stockport game the first of Mooney's misses was the result of a long, but accurate and defence splitting pass from Basey. Had Mooney converted that chance we'd have been marvelling at the great through ball/assist, as it was Mooney squandered the chance and the through ball was forgotten.

We have though scored several goals from his corners and crosses, and his ability to drive a low ball into the six yard area is something that I'm not sure many others in our squad possess.

I think he'll be a very good player in a year or two, perhaps a player's player - the type every team needs.
  • Options
    basey is a mid table third tier footballer at best imo
  • Options
    Defensive mid
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]I was just thinking why do some people either rate Basey very highly while others not at all.

It's the old chestnut of pace vs his impressive passing and crosses. Basey can play some wonderful defence splitting balls (the cross for 2nd half chance that almost went over the line was fantastic) but when he loses his man there's no coming back. BTW i don't think many don't rate him, they just don't rate him as a full back.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]I like the idea of playing him at CB or defensive midfield, his game reading skills can be used well there, and if he does play in defensive midfield you can expect a few good raking passes to the left/right wings. If you see the highlights of the Stockport game the first of Mooney's misses was the result of a long, but accurate and defence splitting pass from Basey. Had Mooney converted that chance we'd have been marvelling at the great through ball/assist, as it was Mooney squandered the chance and the through ball was forgotten.

We have though scored several goals from his corners and crosses, and his ability to drive a low ball into the six yard area is something that I'm not sure many others in our squad possess.

Two very different quotes.

Either one could be right. Or they could both be right.
    Time will tell.

BFR highlights some of what Basey does, that perhaps goes unrecognised by others - because it doesn't result in a goal, then the goal chance creating, quality ball delivered by Basey goes unseen or unacknowledged.

He's only been involved in the last half a dozen games or so, but he's certainly made a big impact creatively, along with Saturday's defensive hesitency which cost us a goal.

[cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]basey is a mid table third tier footballer at best imo

Basically, OohAah .... you've already decided that Basey has developed as far as he can.
    He's only just 21 years old. Surely he just has to find his niche?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]basey is a mid table third tier footballer at best imo

Basically, OohAah .... you've already decided that Basey has developed as far as he can.

i'm giving my opinion on what i've seen and what league i'm seeing it in and i genuinely don't rate the lad , just like i don't rate wagstaff or elliot , i say it how i see it and i'm usually a good judge but i did think luke varney was good but that the clown was bad ....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]luke varney was good

I agree ;o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]

i'm giving my opinion on what i've seen and what league i'm seeing it in and i genuinely don't rate the lad , just like i don't rate wagstaff or elliot , i say it how i see it and i'm usually a good judge but i did think luke varney was good but that the clown was bad ....

That's fair enough, OohAah. It's all just opinion anyway ......whether manager, player or supporter.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [quote][cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]basey is a mid table third tier footballer at best imo[/quote]

He's only just 21 years old. Surely he just has to find his niche?[/quote]

i'm giving my opinion on what i've seen and what league i'm seeing it in and i genuinely don't rate the lad , just like i don't rate wagstaff or elliot , i say it how i see it and i'm usually a good judge but i did think luke varney was good but that the clown was bad ....[/quote]

Fair enough OooAah, its all about opinions, but I think that Basey is a far, far better footballer than Luke Varney will ever be - and about 2 million quid cheaper as well!

Varney and McLeod were two expensive and VERY, VERY poor signings that were amongst Pardew's worst bits of business - and there was plenty of competition in that regard. We outlaid around 3 million quid plus for them, got around 1 million for Varney (maybe less) and won't get anything for McLeod!!!

The fact that Varney was bombed out of Derby and is now on the bench at the doomed Sheffield Wednesday shows that he is nowhere near good enough for Championship level, he's League One at best.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]The fact that Varney was bombed out of Derby and is now on the bench at the doomed Sheffield Wednesday shows that he is nowhere near good enough for Championship level, he's League One at best.
    maybe we can get him on loan ;o)
  • Options
    He's only been involved in the last half a dozen games or so, but he's certainly made a big impact creatively, along with Saturday's defensive hesitency which cost us a goal.
    I know what you mean but what we gain in Basey we lose Youga's pace and the way he can take the ball forward. Basey is uncomfortable running with the ball (fair enough though, he's not got the pace or dribbling ability to do it). You don't see Youga pick out long range passes like Basey might, but he's never had to because he likes to run with the ball and is fairly good at it for a full back at this level.

Obviously he can also take a decent corner/free kick, something Youga can't.
  • Options
    Move him into midfield or centre half and he'll do well

he's only covering for youga but would offer more as left winger and better cover than Waggy. He's no slower than john robinson was and he worked hard enough to make up for it.
    Holding midfield was what I said last season as he reminds me of gareth Barry - good left peg and Reading of game despite lack of pace

I like him and believe he deserves a contract as he is a good utility play
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]The fact that Varney was bombed out of Derby and is now on the bench at the doomed Sheffield Wednesday shows that he is nowhere near good enough for Championship level, he's League One at best.
    maybe we can get him on loan ;o)

Ha ha ....... just spluttered my coffee, laughing at your post Dazzler!
  • Options
    I think Varney is playing regular football in the Championship actually and not just on the bench?

Given Varney or Wagstaff at Left midfield, no question - I thought Varney is not a bad footballer, he's just not a very good finisher and he's still in a league above us and has had plenty of sides giving him a game.

However, when it comes to rubbish - I was at the Newcastle v Boro game on Sunday and MARCUS BENT ....

Now there's SHIT for you!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: supaclive[/cite]I think Varney is playing regular football in the Championship actually and not just on the bench?

Given Varney or Wagstaff at Left midfield, no question - I thought Varney is not a bad footballer, he's just not a very good finisher and he's still in a league above us and has had plenty of sides giving him a game.

However, when it comes to rubbish - I was at the Newcastle v Boro game on Sunday and MARCUS BENT ....

Now there's SHIT for you![/quote]

BUMP ... One goal and an assist this weekend v Newcastle - the side running away with it in the Championship.