Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Crawley Town - Match thread and reports

1235»

Comments

• Options
    but that was in League 2!!
  • Options
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Paddy7[/cite]Last night he & Dicko gave us a more direct threat but always look so hit & MISS.
    Exactly right and if we can't get another striker in we'll just have to mix it up with Burton, Jonjo and those two. Certain games or parts of games we might want more pace and that directness, other times we can use Burton and Shelvey to keep the ball and join in the passing with the midfield. Really have no idea where we're going to find that goalscorer from though. Just don't see it in McLeod and Dickson (or Fleetwood). They might get the odd goal every so often but I don't see them as reliable. You can't be certain they'll take a good chance if they get one.

And agree about Sam, Solly, Fortune and Llera. Basey I see us using him on the bench and him covering wherever he's needed. He'll be on the bench every game through being able to come on and play in four positions. I can't see how he'll break into that midfield unless Bailey goes and we're forced to use him on the left. He'll give Youga competition at left back, but I can't see him getting a regular place at centre back either. Going to be hard for him to break into the team regularly.
  • Options
    Our strikers in my ratings

1. Burton
    2. Mcleod
    3. Dickson
    UNGRADED - Fleetwood never seen him play

4-4-2 with Mcleod may work as he knows where the offside flag is a whole lot more than D.I.C.K.O does...
  • Options
    Pacy Basey is still quite a young player, so still has a little time to establish his best position.

Personally, I think he'd eventually make a decent midfield anchorman Semedo style, or alternatively playing alongside a dominant CB.

He's got a reasonable first touch, decent passing, good dead ball skills - it's just that lack of pace that undoes him in the Pro game.
  • Options
    "ARE YOU MAD SIR?" - quite possibly; why else would I have renewed?
    Reckon you're about right with the striking order. Don't worry about not seeing Fleetwood - you're not missing much (unlike... fill in the gaps!).

That looks true too, Scoham. Basey's best bet might be the "utility player" role, especially with a ludicrous 7 on the bench.
  • Options
    Fleetwood has a bit of pace like Dickson, but less strength plus he's much worse in the air. No more ability on the ball or any more harder working than Dickson or McLeod. What Paddy said really, you're not missing much. Strange signing by Pardew as he's clearly not an improvement on McLeod or Dickson, all three are similar types of strikers in that they like to use their pace and try and beat the offside trap.
  • Options
    And sad as it is McLeod is the only one I've seen actually beat the offside trap lol!
  • Options
    Fleetwood does actually appear capable of getting in behind, and his record suggests an eye for goal, but rather than work extra hard with the step up, he appears to have believed that he's made it, just by moving to what was a Championship club. That might be harsh as I've only seen him 7 or 8 times, but constantly claiming pens instead of busting a gut to retrieve stray passes doesn't bode well.
  • Options
    Call me crazy but I do think this will give mcleod a bit of confidence, you never know this could be the start of mcleod hitting form ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    How can any one rate Burton on last nights performance, he missed 3 clear cut oppurtunities to score , failed to win the long ball in the air, and could not hold up the ball when he recieved on the ground. Best 3 players onthe night Shelvey, Sam , Racon. The back four look very vulnerable, Llera seems unable to clear the ball from the box and Basey to easily turned, I think Fortune, Richardson improved during the game. they became more aware and started to anticipate the play. Bailey well far to many of his passes ended up with the opposition players, he must improve his pass completion rate.
    This was an uninspiring 2-1 win, and ton he form of the Welling game and this the team will strugggle in this division. Lets hope we see some more improvement in the next two friendlies
  • Options
    Bit harsh, Somerton. Sure, there are weaknesses, but we might just have to get used to that. Whilst he has his limits (see elsewhere), I don't agree that Burton failed to hold the ball up on the deck. No-one's pretending we're perfect, but I reckon the new unity, with a little added depth, could go along way towards cheering us up.
  • Options
    Burton has his weaknesses, and yes he's not a goalscorer, but apart from pace there's not much Dickson, McLeod or Fleetwood offer that he can't offer. He's far more intelligent, has a better touch and generally just a better all round player than any of them.

We know he won't score many. We have to stop going to matches expecting him to score a couple of goals then moaning when he doesn't. It's like expecting Fleetwood to win balls in the air or Dickson to be picking out passes.

He's not the answer when it comes to scoring goals, we all know that, but at the moment our other options aren't as good.

I rate him, for our level only, as a decent footballer. As a goalscorer I don't think anyone rates him at all and with his record for us that's completely fair. He will be a useful player for us in League One, we just have to get the players around him scoring goals and hopefully setting him up with a few simple chances like he had in the Norwich game.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Burton has his weaknesses, and yes he's not a goalscorer, but apart from pace there's not much Dickson, McLeod or Fleetwood offer that he can't offer. He's far more intelligent, has a better touch and generally just a better all round player than any of them.

We know he won't score many. We have to stop going to matches expecting him to score a couple of goals then moaning when he doesn't. It's like expecting Fleetwood to win balls in the air or Dickson to be picking out passes.

He's not the answer when it comes to scoring goals, we all know that, but at the moment our other options aren't as good.

I rate him, for our level only, as a decent footballer. As a goalscorer I don't think anyone rates him at all and with his record for us that's completely fair. He will be a useful player for us in League One, we just have to get the players around him scoring goals and hopefully setting him up with a few simple chances like he had in the Norwich game.[/quote]

If Gray is injured/is off soon then we definitely need a different type of forward than Burton if we are going to play one forward.

We have a strong midfield - provided Sam/Bailey/Racon/Shelvey/Semedo stay that five (or any four of them if we play 4-4-2) will arguably be the best in the division. But it's no point playing one upfront if that player can't hold the ball up and convert a decent percentage of chances. Burton isn't the best player for us if we play him on his own upfront.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]If Gray is injured/is off soon then we definitely need a different type of forward than Burton if we are going to play one forward.
    That might be why Parkinson wants to bring in four or five players - competition for Burton and an out and out goalscorer to improve on Dickson and McLeod. I agree, at the moment if Burton can't play we don't have a replacement and ideally we'd get someone that can do what he can plus score regularly. Though it's 4-4-1-1, he's not stranded up there, Shelvey gives him plenty of support. Shelvey's there mainly to attack, not help out defensively and make up a 5 man midfield. To someone that didn't know much about our team, last night he'd have looked like a striker in a free role that loves to drop deep, rather than part of a 5 man midfield.
  • Options
    i'd agree with that Sco