Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Mountain Bikes

Anyone know where to get cheap mountain bikes?
My bike seen better days and am about to start getting into my cycling for the summer.

Comments

• One in Rochester High St mate, in the section between Chatham and Rochester

www.cycleking.co.uk

Used to be a cheap place in Gillingham High St too. Can't remember the name of it but it was up the Black Lion end...
  • Cheers mate might have to pop down there as there are some for 100 notes seems good, although no ski bars which is a shame.

Need suspension as well so prob looking at £160 i would have thought
  • Alright mate, don't need your life story... just a thanks would have done!
  • "Likes This"
  • Keep an eye on your local Tesco, they do one there for £40 but not always in stock. It's fairly basic and the gears need clicking back once they've changed, but its light and great value.
  • edited July 2009
    Asda were selling them for £70.

False economy though, especially if you are actually going off road on one as they wont last.

save up some pennies and get a Boardman bike from Halfords. Very good value for money.

edit - or try Decathlon in Surrey Quays or Lakeside. even better bikes for less money and a decent service
  • It will be for off road used but nothing heavy, just a few woodland tracks etc.

Boardman are they expensive?
  • The stans start at 500 notes not relly what i was looking to pay!!
  • [cite]Posted By: CAFCBourne[/cite]The stans start at 500 notes not relly what i was looking to pay!!

Take a trip to Decathlon - The Boardman bikes are probably a it too serious.

Under £200

Under £170 for full suspension

dont worry about getting a full suspension bike though, just more to go wrong.
  • Sponsored links:

• +1 for Decathlon if you are looking for a half-decent cheapy with good frame and components.

The Boardman's are excellent bikes and are brilliant value for money but you are looking at anything from £600-1000 for one. Then if you are looking at that price range, I'd recommend the Specialized Rockhopper Pro which I ride myself...

Take my advice, stick to a hardtail mtb rather than a full suspension mtb if you are looking for a decent cheapy.
  • Brixton Market......Sunday mornings!
  • Got a Focus Black Forest from Wiggle a couple of years ago, very happy with it. Good value for money hardtails but you are still looking at £300 upwards. They've got some reductions on at the moment. You take a bit of a chance as you can't try them out before buying though.
  • [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]Alright mate, don't need your life story... just a thanks would have done!

Lol harsh Meddude, but funny lol
  • I ride a 2006 Kona Kikapu Deluxe - would cost you about a grand in the Uk - its a fantatsic bike, I have ridden around 2000kms on it over the last few years & it has never given me a minutes trouble. I actually live on a mountain & the trails round here are extremelygnarly & rugged....I love Mountain Biking - it's a great sport!

konakikapudeluxe06.jpg
  • Brick lane on a sunday... Dirt cheap just stand around long enough and someone will come and ask you to buy one
  • [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]Brick lane on a sunday... Dirt cheap just stand around long enough and someone will come and ask you to buy one

if you ever get your bike nicked - head straight down there and you'll find the chav who's nicked it!!
  • [cite]Posted By: SE10Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]Brick lane on a sunday... Dirt cheap just stand around long enough and someone will come and ask you to buy one

if you ever get your bike nicked - head straight down there and you'll find the chav who's nicked it!!

Its unbelievable they can even go and nick you one to order and have it back in about 20 minutes, the right make, colour everything
  • Good advice above about full-suspension...unless you're doing pretty serious X-C riding, I'd skip it. I've got a great full-suspension Gary Fisher that I love, but even so I constantly second guess my decision to go full-sus in light of the addtional cost, weight and maintenance. Oakster on the other hand? Where he is, he needs it!
  • That's shockin, there's some scumbags about! Ride a road bike with drop handles to work at the mo and have been wondering about what I might ride in the winter, i'd like to continue with the road bike but not sure how it will be if it gets slippery
  • Sponsored links:

• Erm tyres superclive! Get something a bit grippier for the weather, personally I don't have too much problem in the wet. The worst tyres I've had in the wet were armadillo's which are horrible to ride and very nerve wracking on corner's in the wet.

Personally CAFCBourne don't get full suspension on a cheap bike it's absolute madness. Your back wheel will dump like mad anytime you put a tiny bit of power through it. Get a hardtail with front sus, that way any power you put into the pedal isn't lost with some clown like yo-yoing of the back end. Giant Boulder at around £230 and GT Avalanche 3.0 at around £330 are both said to be excellent bikes for their price. Personally I'd go for the GT but whatever you do make sure you ride it first.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: superclive[/cite]That's shockin, there's some scumbags about! Ride a road bike with drop handles to work at the mo and have been wondering about what I might ride in the winter, i'd like to continue with the road bike but not sure how it will be if it gets slippery[/quote]

Always been a mountain biker and have only just started taking cycling more seriously recently and am now looking to get a decent road bike to accompany my Rockhopper Pro. I done the London to Southend ride last Sunday on my mountain bike but was armed with semi-slick continental travel contact tyres, which are 1.5" wide rather than the custom mountain bike 2.1" wide and made it a damn site easier and you get get more speed out of the bike. Obviously cant compare to a road bike but got up to 37mph coming down a path in Oxleas Wood on Shooters Hill last night.
  • I'm in love with the cervelo S1...tri/road bike (adjustable seatpost) aero frame although aluminum. Fine Canadian design and craftsmanship. And in terms of a bike to ride for winter, I'd suggest a cyclocross bike...a solid choice is Kona Jake the Snake. I don't have one, but have researched the heck out of them!
  • Guys I think you are miss reading me here... The bike will probably never do over 10mph, see light more than 15 days a year and get dirty twice.

You guys must be crazy £500 on a bike who has that kind of money!!

I just want a casual bike for light exercise and riding to the pub
  • [cite]Posted By: CAFCBourne[/cite]Guys I think you are miss reading me here... The bike will probably never do over 10mph, see light more than 15 days a year and get dirty twice.

my bike was £849! got a £100 or the RRP as well!
  • I got a Marin Bobcat trail in '98, which took quite a few paper rounds! Since than I've probably blown another £500 upgrading the c##t. Absolutely love it and still at the age of 25 I use it to cycle to mates houses/flats instead of getting a car! Also go round Petts Wood's Woods on Sundays if the weather is good.

You don't half go fast cycling back from the pub!
  • [cite]Posted By: CAFCBourne[/cite]Guys I think you are miss reading me here... The bike will probably never do over 10mph, see light more than 15 days a year and get dirty twice.

But NOT BACK from the pub I assume?
  • [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: CAFCBourne[/cite]Guys I think you are miss reading me here... The bike will probably never do over 10mph, see light more than 15 days a year and get dirty twice.

Its why i need a new one
  • [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: CAFCBourne[/cite]Guys I think you are miss reading me here... The bike will probably never do over 10mph, see light more than 15 days a year and get dirty twice.

You'll fine as long as you don't try and do a wheelie!
  • [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]

You'll fine as long as you don't try and do a wheelie!

Just remembering you had F**ker would help!!