Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Season Tickets and Takeover

edited July 2009 in General Charlton
I stated on this board a while back that my kids told me that they wanted to renew their ST's for this season.
However until I get clarification of the takeover - Deal or No Deal - either way, I just want to know, as a paying fan, where my club is at, until then my dough is staying in my sky. We will be going to games but the belonging to the CAFC 'family' wont happen until I know more.
I suspect some other fans have a simliar view.

Comments

• Options
    i'm only renewing to get hartlepool tickets
  • Options
    There may be a few with that take on things but I've not met or heard of anyone........I've spoken to a few that wont be renewing simply because we're in the 1st Division......but with one notable exception, all of them will still go but will pay on the day for particular games that they fancy going to.
    If we're doing well around Christmas, I suspect we'll sell a fair few 'half season' tickets then.
  • Options
    Support the team through whatever, you cant just be all picky about it just cos we have got a bit shi*ter, so much for you being a loyal supporter
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: NathanPrior[/cite]Support the team through whatever, you cant just be all picky about it just cos we have got a bit shi*ter, so much for you being a loyal supporter

I see the troll is back.
  • Options
    I maintiain the view that if you turn up week in week out it does show your loyalty i would not say that you can pick and choose games because if you are a real football person that wont matter. Now football is something that i feel is in my blood and nothing will change the team i follow i was born and brought up in South London (Charlton the Bermondsay). Also i come from a family of east Londoners and the idea is you support were you are born (most of the fam being west ham or orient or spurs) i was the only one born south of the river and dad took me to see charlton and told me this was my team even thought he was west ham and still is. Now my main point is i have been a charlton fan for 20 odd years and not missed many games since then no matter who we play. Not saying you should be an ST holder because its extorshion

When we were in the prem i saw fans come and go as we got worse cos it was a nice day out as much as this was good for club revenue. However it winds me up to see arm chair fans and fans who only become fans when we are playing man u (without a shodow of a doubt my most hated english team bar palace and Millwall of course), Arsenal, Chelsea teams like that but when we have Wycome no sod turns up. Werwe has the luv gone to me it doesnt matter who we are playing i will be there because thats what being a true football fan is about. You dont go to the Valley to watch the other team surely
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]
    You dont go to the Valley to watch the other team surely

Unless the other team gives us our ball back, sometimes (like last season) we don't have a choice !
  • Options
    Let me know if im wrong People
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]Let me know if im wrong People
    I think you're wrong.

Everyone has the right to attend football or not. There's a whole variety of reasons why they might or might not. Sure it's irritating watching the Premiership fans slowly melting away with a variety of creative excuses, but we always knew they would. We seem to be doing OK support wise, considering how spectacularly bad the team and management has been: so you could focus on that positive. I can totally understand why someone might make the decision not to attend while things are going along as they are at the moment. Just trotting out the "not a proper Charlton fan" line is pretty tired. It could be argued that they're better fans than us, because they're voting with their feet and making it clear to the club that the course they're on isn't acceptable.
  • Options
    There will always be different interpretations of 'loyal' fans. I'm similar to Ru in that Charlton is my team because it's the closest to where I was born (tho' my dad was born along the Woolwich Road and his dad was a fan so no conflicts there!). I've never had a ST because, apart from the Selhurst days when I was a student, I've never managed to attend regularly enough because of geographical reasons. Nowadays I'm taking my son and games get chosen mainly by WHEN rather than WHO. Sticking up for the team (blindly?) at work when you're the only fan for miles makes me feel just as loyal as all those cold Tuesday nights spent on the Arthur Wait terrace with a couple of thousand diehards
  • Options
    Surely you go to football to be entertained.You hope your team plays with enough fight and passion to beat,or at least compete with, the other team.Something we have not seen for quite some time

i have no problem with anyone saying 'sod paying out my hard earned dough to watch this shyte week after week.'
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: NathanPrior[/cite]Support the team through whatever, you cant just be all picky about it just cos we have got a bit shi*ter, so much for you being a loyal supporter

I see the troll is back.

Ha ha ha ha ha
  • Options
    Jeez, this this dull.

If anyone seriously believes the club are just holding out letting everyone know for some kind of personal entertainment then they really need to get a grip.

If the club had keep quiet about Zabeel (which they couldn't) then we wouldn't be in this position.
  • Options

Nathan, I thought I asked you to be nice to the good folk on CL.
    Dazzler, could you help an old man out? pop round to Nathan's and smack him up the side of the head. ;)
  • Options
    Too far for the effort needed to get the sense in there ;o)

Only Kidding NateDog

You don't need a smack Henry embaressed you enough with his ccomment!
  • Options
    Am I not allowed to voice my opinion now?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: NathanPrior[/cite]Am I not allowed to voice my opinion now?

Of course, but there's a little bit of a keyboard warrior in you ;)
  • Options
    Obviously i can only take my info from how i feel and what i have experienced. Football to me is not something that must be enjoyed (although is obviously better when we win and i do) its more a addiction which must be forfilled.
    It sounds sad but that is the way i was brought up in a family were football is prettyu much all that mattered and to see people being fickle with the club i love just breaks my heart lol.

I know how sad that sounds but its so much more to me than a football club as i was brough up in the area i love everthing about it
  • Options
    its brought so many good times and good days out allot of bad times too granted but i forgive Charlton for that
  • Options
    actually whilst I generally think Nathan is a plum of the highest order, his sentiments (albeit written as if a half witted 13 year old) are in my opinion fair. As long as I can afford a season ticket I'll be there. Blind faith? No. Thats just what I'd call being a proper supporter.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    [cite]Posted By: blackheathaddick[/cite]actually whilst I generally think Nathan is a plum of the highest order, his sentiments (albeit written as if a half witted 13 year old) are in my opinion fair. As long as I can afford a season ticket I'll be there. Blind faith? No. Thats just what I'd call being a proper supporter.

That's how I feel (about Nathan and getting a ST as long as I can afford it) but it's up to every individual to decide how they want to support the club and to what extent.

At least after the two promotions in two seasons that are about to happen to CAFC I will be able to wave my 2009/10 ST book in the face of anyone who calls me a Premiership glory boy : - )
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2009
    I have supported the club through thick and thin since around the age of 9. During that time I have had periods where I have been to many games, and I have had periods where I have been to few games.

I watched the club in the third tier, indeed I went to almost all home games and many away games during that time. When we moved to Sellout Park, I couldn't bring myself not to go, even though it broke my heart to have to watch the best side we'd had since I became a supporter playing at that sh*thole.

When the club moved to Upton Park, I really found it hard to make the trek across the river and as a consequence didn't go to many games. Once we went back to the Valley I went to as many games as I could. Irritatingly, I moved to Norfolk during the Play Off season and because I worked on Saturday, I couldn't make many games. Sespite this I became a ST holder in 1998, although I was in Valley Gold before that for a number of seasons. I have been a ST holder ever since.

In the last four years though, I go to as many games, home and away, as I can.

Throughout my time as a fan, I still supported them, still became morose on a Saturday if we lost, or ecstatic if we won. Each to their own but for me once a fan always a fan, attending games or not.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: blackheathaddick[/cite]actually whilst I generally think Nathan is a plum of the highest order, his sentiments (albeit written as if a half witted 13 year old) are in my opinion fair. As long as I can afford a season ticket I'll be there. Blind faith? No. Thats just what I'd call being a proper supporter.

A half witted 13 year old is a compliment on this board
  • Options
    of course its not so much a case of blind faith there are no choices about being a charlton fan you cant just come back to a club when they play well.

Just dont see that as being a true football fan of any club, if that was a club like Sheffield Wed or UTD, or Stoke or a club like that you just wouldnt see that sort of thing excepted.

I know a few Stoke fans and they say their crowds used to fill the Britania when they were right down to the present day now there in the prem. Same people as well seats are reserved for football people not people who only turn up when they are winning and dont when they are not.

If you only want to turn up too a club that wins all the time then go up too Manchester they both are looking good this season.

You see my point though
  • Options
    It's in the blood.

Logic dictates that you should knock it on the head and do something else but even if you don't go to the games you spend time thinking about how it's going if you are out or glued to teletext, radio and Charlton Life if you are in!

When I was young I had to buy the classified Evening News to read the report.

As I said it's in the blood whether i like it or not.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I think those Stoke fans are kidding themselves. They were getting crowds of 14k and under just a few years ago.

IE the ground was half full.
  • Options
    My original post stated that I just want to know where we are with the takeover before I commit, as far as renewing is concerned It is irrelevent to me whether it happens or not, I want to know where my club is at before I commit to 4 ST's.

Nathan, I've been coming to the Valley since '73 so been here before, we were even shi*ter then!! No, really!!

I dunno, the yoot of today, I didn't fight 2 World Wars you know!!
  • Options
    For me personally, i haven't bought a season ticket this year because everytime I bought a ticket last year they played absolutley shite, cost me a good 40/50 quid and when your not earning that much it becomes very frustrating. However, when the club put in some effort to win games and play well and try hard, i will too put in the effort to come and spend my 40/50 quid in the knowledge that I don't give a to$$ for the players to go and pick up there 10k a week. In saying that, I still follow Charlton through thick and thin but just because I haven't bought a paper ticket I don't see how that wouldn't make me a "real" fan.

It isn't the fact I "only want to see a club that wins all the time" it just would have been nice to see a little effort and commitment, which I hope is something that will happen this season.
  • Options
    what len said no matter where you are in the world you're desperate for the result from this poxy football team and your heart rate rushes b4 you find it out .... every time your text bleeps your like please let it be a goal for us and then zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bibble[/cite]
    Nathan, I've been coming to the Valley since '73 so been here before, we were even shi*ter then!! No, really!!

it took us 3 seasons to get back up then , i'd happily take promotion in 3 seasons time
  • Options
    Stoke City average crowds from opening of Britannia Stadium

1997/98 15,025 (Div 2)
    1998/99 12,732 (Div 3)
    1999/00 11,426 (Div 3)
    2000/01 13,767 (Div 3)
    2001/02 13,966 (Div 3)
    2002/03 14,588 (Div 2)
    2003/04 14,425 (Div 2)
    2004/05 16,456 (Div 2)
    2005/06 14,432 (Div 2)
    2006/07 15,749 (Div 2)