Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Darren Ward

OK i'll try it this way! What's happened to Daren Ward? He wanted to come down south, Wolves wanted to sell him...if the TO ever happens maybe we can sign him? I blimin hope so.

Tell me where he's at people.

Comments

• Options
    He won't play 3rd tier Football plus we couldn't afford him.
  • Options
    Is he fit, after being carried off in his last game for us?

Could only see it happening as another loan deal - but would expect a CCC to get him before us
  • Options
    So would i Peakie but the longer it goes on the more chance we've got.

Come on the Wardinator!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: NorthStandUltra[/cite]He won't play 3rd tier Football plus we couldn't afford him.

As above, we CAN'T afford him & he won't play in the old 3rd division, reality check people.
  • Options
    your'e such a spoilsport NSU. i think we CAN afford him and i think he WILL play 3rd div footy.

can't wait to see the Wardinator and Mambo as our centre back partnership.

eeiieeiieeiioo up the football league we go....
  • Options
    Right... Wolves released details that his contract was going to get an increase in wages if they got promoted. His wages are said to be around the ten grand mark... whatever they are they will be substantial as he's increased his wages three times from champ clubs that paid big wages. So there is no way we could get anywhere near his wages and if we do any supporter who says sign him up deserves a bankrupt club.

His performances versus size of wage really weren't worth it. He's an OK center back, and another one with no tactical influence on the players in front of him. An absolute waste of any resources unless he was a youngster on cheap wages and we had strong characters around him.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Sign him up
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]Right... Wolves released details that his contract was going to get an increase in wages if they got promoted. His wages are said to be around the ten grand mark... whatever they are they will be substantial as he's increased his wages three times from champ clubs that paid big wages. So there is no way we could get anywhere near his wages and if we do any supporter who says sign him up deserves a bankrupt club.

His performances versus size of wage really weren't worth it. He's an OK center back, and another one with no tactical influence on the players in front of him. An absolute waste of any resources unless he was a youngster on cheap wages and we had strong characters around him.

first sentence = mostly acceptable
    second one = utter wibble!

Was very solid for us and marshalled an edgy error strewn defence well.

Would probably take a wage cut since he is not wanted at Wolves and probably already minted - might want to finish his career off playing rather than being an unwanted squad member at Molyneux
  • Options
    swisdom rules.

go swisdom, whoop some colintat ass.

i think i should slow down on the old cherryade.
  • Options
    Good player but out of our league financially especially if there is no new investment which is looking increasingly probable.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Go swisdom , go swisdom......Love your logic and would love to see Dazza back in SE7 ( playing for us, of course )
  • Options
    I would like him back especially if JF goes we might be able to afford his wages because he has played league 1 football before for Millwall so you never know!
  • Options
    What he's going to take thousands of pounds worth of wage cut??? In his last major professional contract? He''s slow, but positionally aware. I didn't see him do any marshalling just someone who understood how important it is for a central defender to keep within fifteen yards to his partner. Now compared to many of our players that's world beating, but to me it's not worth more than a few solid grand a week.

Plus he played behind a midfield that for the first time in two years actually worked hard to close down. But at no time did Ward advise them to push up and out quickly and to compress play. Now I know Hudson or anyone else didn't do that but to me that's basic central defending nous. So yes I didn't mind him but in no way is his character worth more than a few good grand a week. There are much better defenders out there such as Kisnorbo and Chris Coyne who are no doubt on a fraction of the wages.

So your non-existant logic swisdom says the first sentence is OK but the second wibble. Yet you have no thought to back up he'll probably take a pay cut, past a love of the game. So a not very sharp footballer who's probably got a mortgage on a house based on the fact he's pulling in so much a year for so many years is just going to take a 50% plus paycut? Yep just another Football Manager fan Swisdom. Fair enough on your oppinion on the player Swisdom but you're utterly clueless on finance, why we're in this position and productivity versus cost.
  • Options
    Kisnorbo signed for Leeds on a free. He is one we have missed out on IMO, would have been a great signing.
  • Options
    Murty is still available!
  • Options
    If he's a bit on the slow side, could we afford to play both him and the less than pacy Llera in the same team?
  • Options
    Colin - as I mentioned he's 34 now so his big earning days are behind him - he just want a contract and I would assume one in the south as it's where he's from I believe.

If you think a guy earning 10 or 12k a week for the last 5 years still has much if a mortgage then I believe you are naive. He's not a billy big bollocks guy - he's a family man coming to the twilight of his career.

I never said he's the best defender or captain on earth but he knows the club, seemingly fitted in pretty well and was more than capable of doing a job if the money is right. No footballer is earning a sensible wage so sadly inflated salaries are always going to be a bone of contention but if Hudson was 12k then Ward is easily worth 10k!

Kisnorbo I agree could have been a useful aquisition but owing to current circumstances it's not a goer. The other chap I am not aware of - you probably spotted him on FM09 (touché) and are in dangerous Ackworth territory there!!!
  • Options
    Assuming that he'd be interested...Charlton would likely offer him a two year deal on say £7or 8K a week, not as much as Wolves offering him £10k/week, but the extra year may persuade him to reduce his salary demands. Wolves aren't going to offer him a new contract next year.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]Colin - as I mentioned he's 34 now so his big earning days are behind him - he just want a contract and I would assume one in the south as it's where he's from I believe.

He's actually 30. Darren Ward the goalkeeper is 35.

If we can get him he'd be very solid in League One, but I don't think we can afford him and he's probably not significantly better than other options for us to pay the sort of wages he'll want. He might not want £12k+, but he's not going to come down here and play in League One for £3k a week either.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: valleyman[/cite]Kisnorbo signed for Leeds on a free. He is one we have missed out on IMO, would have been a great signing.
    I thought this, too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fair points Swisdom. I'd doubt he will want to take much of a drop in wages, unless Wolves pay him off. Footballers love a reduced up-front fee payoff. On footballers and money I think you're wrong. Sure some are OK with their money but most manage to depreciate more of their wage in a year than an HBOS corporate finance department.

Completely anecdotal but I had a mate at uni who's dad was an acountant to footballers mainly in the north west around ten years ago. He had Liverpool internationals on his books who'd be more interested towards the end of their career. And he nearly always was flabbergasted at how little money and how few assets they had, and these boys were earning more than Ward in a cheaper world.
  • Options
    Gone to Millwall
  • Options
    :O kin ell thats a great signing
  • Options
    That provides the perfect example of the over use of the word 'great'.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I was just about to comment on this thinking it was the Derren Brown thread. Kinell - need some sleep.
    EDIT; mind you, they both create amazing illusions which make them both look good! ;-)
  • Options
    how can millwall afford him after all the hullabaloo about him being on monster dough ....
    we've missed a trick not getting ward if them lot can afford him
  • Options
    don't think its past the rumour stage to be honest
  • Options
    Well, he's a London lad, played for Watford, Millwall and Palace, as well as Charlton.
    Millwall is one of his old clubs and they have an injury crisis.

He's no doubt frustrated at not being involved at Wolves, and like most footballers he just wants to play.
    So he'll go where he can get 1st team games.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    If he's on £10k a week and goes on a 90 day loan that is 13 weeks x £10k = £130k for Millwall to pay for some very good cover in an injury crisis.

Wolves manager might have done his old club a favour and only asked them to pay some of the wages so could be less.

If it happens at all that is.
  • Options
    Yeah sorry, got carried away there. Not actually a done deal but strong rumours.