Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Darren Ward

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2009
    Surely they'd be championship clubs in for him. If they aren't then they've missed out as he's a decent player.
  • Options
    After seeing the joke of the horse racing scam he did it wouldn't surprise me.
  • Options
    lol
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]After seeing the joke of the horse racing scam he did it wouldn't surprise me.

Explain please ?
  • Options
    See Derren Brown thread :-)
  • Options
    A deal to land Darren Ward on loan has fallen through, due to 'financial differences' between the two clubs and the player’s agent.

Ward had been in talks about a sensational return to the Den, to plug the injury woes in the backline that have plagued the start to the season and to resurrect the 31-year-old's career.

But the commanding centre-back - tagged the Peckham Beckham for his trademark hair-do during his four years at Millwall - has completed a dramatic u-turn and is heading back up the M1 with Wolves.

Ward - who starred in a golden generation of football at the Den - is unlikely to get another look-in at the Premiership club and was allowed to talk to Millwall boss Kenny Jackett by Mick McCarthy.

The Den boss knows the towering Ward well from their time at Watford and had hoped he could partner stand-in skipper Andy Frampton in the threadbare backline at Gillingham on Saturday.

But with Millwall refusing to pick up the hefty weekly wage, Wolves and Ward will look elsewhere, unless a pay-cut can be agreed.

Jackett told the 'News': "There are differences between the clubs. There are a considerable amount of reasons it was not pulled off. We have made the inquiry and now we have to turn our attention elsewhere."

Taking a moment from his holiday, Chief Executive Officer Andy Ambler added: "For Darren Ward to sign it has to be right for his club, Wolves. I think there is something between the player and the player’s agent to come up with a deal.

"We made an offer and know what we are prepared to pay - but that has not been accepted."
    Despite rumours that Ward had been to the training ground to thrash out details this week, Ambler added: "He has not been down talking to us. He has been talking to the manager, whom he knows well from Watford."

Ward was signed for £500,000 in 2001 and went on to form a formidable partnership with Matt Lawrence and the pair featured in the Cardiff FA Cup final in 2004.

Ward then skipped across south London to Crystal Palace, netting the Lions a £600,000 profit, before being snapped up by Wolves on a three-year deal.

Having made 30 starts in three seasons, Ward went out on loan to Watford - where he started his career - and most recently to Charlton. Jackett may renew his interest in Plymouth's Krisztian Timar, who has fallen out of favour with Paul Sturrock, as he continues to look for a right-sided centre-back.

Jackett added: "We are trying to get the right players in. I am waiting on a few phone calls, to see which ones might happen."In these situations, a phone call or two can change things and make a player available and we have had plenty of 'maybes', but nothing that has crossed the line yet - though there are a couple of days before Saturday."
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite] "Jackett may renew his interest in Plymouth's Krisztian Timar, who has fallen out of favour with Paul Sturrock, as he continues to look for a right-sided centre-back.

"

Timar at Millwall. That figures.
  • Options
    Timar ..... the "Beast", they call him at Plymouth Argyle.

Ask Todorov and McLeod if they remember him .... ?
  • Options
    "Taking a moment from his holiday, Chief Executive Officer Andy Ambler "

Why is a club's chief exec going on holiday during a season?
  • Options
    JTJT
    edited September 2009
    Could still be on..

Ward
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Signed for millwall on 93 day loan.
  • Options
    Shame, a good signing.

I have no doubts whatsoever that they will be amongst the shake up come the end of the season.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Shame, a good signing.

I have no doubts whatsoever that they will be amongst the shake up come the end of the season.

I think they'll do ok but don't think they'll score enough goals to get in the play-off's. Hopefully!
  • Options
    Would have been great here but we have 3 centre halfs so I think the club didn't proceed (+ Mambo)
  • Options
    Reading this it sounds like he turned us down:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5558816,00.html
  • Options
    At the moment I am more than happy with what we have and there is still the dreaded loan options if injuries kick in (and suspensions- Llera is near to 5 yellows already)
  • Options
    Ward walked straight into the millwall team. He would have been waiting for our run to end and still been behind Sodje had he come to us, so i'm sure that was a big factor. I really like Ward though and if we could sign him on a deal in Jan, i'd like him to come in.
  • Options
    Good signing for Millwall. Thought he was good with Hudson at the end of last season.

I am happy with the Sodje signing though as for me him and Ward were two of the best loan signings we have made in the past few years.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]Ward walked straight into the millwall team. He would have been waiting for our run to end and still been behind Sodje had he come to us, so i'm sure that was a big factor. I really like Ward though and if we could sign him on a deal in Jan, i'd like him to come in.

Ward is better than anything we have IMO on last seasons showing and he would have been my first choice had he signed.

I'm not knocking the other 3 as I think Dailly has been excellent and both Llera and Sodje are good.
  • Options
    He turned us down in favour of building Millwall.

MUG. he's not young enough to go building Millwall mind you if he was 18 it still wouldn't be enough time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I agree he is a good cb . I would have loved him back but he knows he will play more at Millwall than with us .He would not have been a guareenteed regular.

I note his loan will end before the Lions play us . I suspect he may go elsewhere in January
  • Options
    Bearing in mind that Ward will cost money in January, I think the Millwall fan who wrote this isn't far wrong..........

" lay odds it's Whitbread to Wolves in January for Ward and a couple of bob. Bet that's what the hold-up was on the loan deal last week."

Shame for us as he is Champiuonship quality.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]Good signing for Millwall. Thought he was good with Hudson at the end of last season.

I am happy with the Sodje signing though as for me him and Ward were two of the best loan signings we have made in the past few years.

I think he made up for Hudsons shortcomings ! I'm still amazed at the fee we got for Hudson
  • Options
    Jan update, signed for Millwall on a permenant deal.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Jan update, signed for Millwall on a permenant deal.

Odd one.

Doesn't seem to be first choice and must have taken a big pay cut to join Millwall.

Also better than League 1 but a good player that I wish we'd signed.

Maybe he just likes the club and wants to be in the squad. If so good for him or maybe he can read the writing on the wall and sees a longer term contract now is better than none in the summer.
  • Options
    for fucks sake why couldnt we get him
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Fortune Costa Fish[/cite]for fucks sake why couldnt we get him

He supports Millwall and wanted to return to them & as Henry says would be out of contract in 6 months and looking for a club. Good luck to him he did well for us & I admire someone who wants to play for "their" club, even if the wages are lower.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    Maybe he just likes the club and wants to be in the squad. If so good for him or maybe he can read the writing on the wall and sees a longer term contract now is better than none in the summer.

He's signed a perm deal that is only till the end of the season.
  • Options
    Very decent player and good luck to him wherever he ends up. Pity its Millwall though.
  • Options
    Noticed Jon-Joe O'Toole has signed for Colchester on a free as well. Always liked the look of him at Watford. Thought he was heading to Sheff Utd.

Was Ward on the bench when we played Millwall or has he been injured?.