Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

It's time for the supporters to act

The Club
We know that a takeover of part of the club is in negotiation.
We believe that Reg is involved in the new consortium
We think this has been going on since the end of last season.
The new season is only 2 weeks away

The Team
No contracts have been renewed
No players have been purchased
Some players have not had their contracts renewed and left
Two players have been signed on free transfers
The manger says he needs five new players

The Supporters
Over 9000 have renewed STs
Quite a few are waiting to see what will happen with the club

It is time for the supporters to show their disappointment. I can't do anything from up here and as I have just been diagnosed with heart problems should stay calm!
So come on you lot down there organise yourselves for the home friendly against Ipswich and show the club that we are not happy.

Comments

• Options
    Its all a fecking great mess and no mistake.
  • Options
    How many more depressed topics or WE MUST ACT NOW threads do we need?

Can we have a sticky please Bart? You could call it "angry and depressed? then unload here!"
  • Options
    it's bad bad bad. i moved to bristol recently so won't be able to make the ipswich game but am definitely coming down for the wycombe, protest we must
  • Options
    When a select few protested after a game last season they got slated on here.. I know was mostly youths who have no idea about what it means to be charlton, but people were being slagged off on here for agreeing with them and saying they damm well don't deserve to wear the shirt, plus if a takeover fails due to hidden debt we have every right to question murray and others... thanks for the valley and curbs but what the hell were u doing behind the scenes... we now know why curbs had such a lously transfer budget, and the painic money given to davros. I posted a message on here questioning everything and got mullerd for it, if things don't change asap we really are in trouble peeps.
  • Options
    When does the new season start again?

Not much we can do so I suggest we just ride put the storm and support our team! I have no doubt that the powers that be are doing all they can do get the situation sorted
  • Options
    Isint that the problem with us swis mate.. just sit back and see what happens..
  • Options
    Think I'll wait til the ST meeting Henry's organized for the 4th.
    See how that pans out........
  • Options
    We'll continue to have "depressed topics" until either the Board sort this out or we show our anger.
    If we had "just ridden out the storm" when they closed the Valley we wouldn't now have a team to support

So get organised and protest!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: lancashire lad[/cite]We'll continue to have "depressed topics" until either the Board sort this out or we show our anger.
    If we had "just ridden out the storm" when they closed the Valley we wouldn't now have a team to support

Yes but what exactly are we protesting about?

Lack of info, or the current state of the club?

I think a full sacle board out, with expletives chanting sit in is exactly what we need to make the would be buyers finalise the deal.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: lancashire lad[/cite]We'll continue to have "depressed topics" until either the Board sort this out or we show our anger.

As MOG says I'm sure some of this will be aired on 4 August.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]When does the new season start again?

Not much we can do so I suggest we just ride put the storm and support our team! I have no doubt that the powers that be are doing all they can do get the situation sorted

Cannot say how much i agree with this. It appears that in the absence of news, despite a recent statement asking for patience, some decide that the world is about to end. If you'd told me at the end of the season that Shelvey, Bailey, Racon, Sam, possibly Fortune and Semedo were ALL still here in a few months i would have been sceptical as i thought we may have had to cash in some of them. However, here they are, and official indications, not tittle tattle from newspapers, have been that a takeover is being dicussed and processed as quick as possible, all in the best interests of the future of the Club. It's not an easy time for the Club or its fans but patience has to be the order of the day, especially when people's imaginations seem to be what they're using to damn the Club in the absence of any hard evidence.
  • Options
    Mart just copied what was said by the club were does it say anything about asking for patience?????

"Over a period of months, there have been approaches from interested parties. One such approach, an offer for the football club (through an acquisition of some of the assets and liabilities of Charlton Athletic plc), is being progressed, and the board will make a formal announcement at the appropriate time.

Following relegation from the Championship last season, we are mindful of the financial consequences and will continue to work towards ensuring that Charlton are prepared for the new season, both on and off the pitch."
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]Mart just copied what was said by the club were does it say anything about asking for patience?????

"Over a period of months, there have been approaches from interested parties. One such approach, an offer for the football club (through an acquisition of some of the assets and liabilities of Charlton Athletic plc), is being progressed, and the board will make a formal announcement at the appropriate time.

Following relegation from the Championship last season, we are mindful of the financial consequences and will continue to work towards ensuring that Charlton are prepared for the new season, both on and off the pitch."

I'm sorry that was clearly a call for everyone to panic!

I'm off to Barnet to support my team :0)
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Funny Not
  • Options
    a protest won't help matters, just gotta keep supporting the team and hope by some miracle everything gets sorted asap
  • Options
    What we need to protest about is the amount of time that it is taking to complete , or not, this takeover, it is not just the Board that need to know our feelings but the faceless people involved in the takeover. Time is passing, each day the new season and the end of the transfer window gets nearer.

We don't know that the "powers that be" are sorting all this out, it could be that both sides have taken their negotiating positions and won't budge, if we had left it to the "powers that be" when the Valley was closed ..........

Len - I can't be there on the 4th August and I hope that you as one of the more mature supporters will ensure that this gets aired.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]When a select few protested after a game last season they got slated on here.. I know was mostly youths who have no idea about what it means to be charlton, but people were being slagged off on here for agreeing with them and saying they damm well don't deserve to wear the shirt, plus if a takeover fails due to hidden debt we have every right to question murray and others... thanks for the valley and curbs but what the hell were u doing behind the scenes... we now know why curbs had such a lously transfer budget, and the painic money given to davros. I posted a message on here questioning everything and got mullerd for it, if things don't change asap we really are in trouble peeps.
    [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]Isint that the problem with us swis mate.. just sit back and see what happens..

Go on then sunshine, what you got in mind? Or do you just want to sit there moaning?
  • Options
    Having now read the thread on Supporters Trust I don't think it will be the time or the place to express our dissatisfaction with the club. It would be better to make our feelings known to the club and the faceless ones at the home friendly against Ipswich, the Wycombe game is not the time as we need get behind the team and not have distractions during a league match.
  • Options
    I hate the lack of news the same as everybody else but I think that it is a sign of serious negotiations. Somebody mentioned on another forum that senior staff at the club were convinced last Thursday that the takeover had happened and would be announced on Friday. The fact that it didn't shows that things are happening that only the Board members know the correct picture but nothing yet has been finalised.

My own view, unpopular though it maybe, is that some mass protest by fans can only create a neutral or downside effect at this time. At worst it may scare off the buyers. So incredibly frustrating though it may be, lets sit it out to a conclusion one way or another. Then is the time to evaluate whether the clubs fortunes in the long term have been advanced by the protracted nature of the negotiations.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Mike[/cite]a protest won't help matters, just gotta keep supporting the team and hope by some miracle everything gets sorted asap[/quote]

Thats the thing thats all that ever happens just sit back.

We need to show the club how much this club means to us as fans, it does not need to be agressive or totally hostile just let them know we have passion for this club and we want the best for it and sooner rather than later.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]We need to show the club how much this club means to us as fans, it does not need to be agressive or totally hostile just let them know we have passion for this club and we want the best for it and sooner rather than later.

I don't think they doubt that. Look at collectively what the fans have helped the club achieve, especially over the dark period of the 1980s and early 90's. That kind of practical love and passion for the club has lead into areas like the fans forum, and sites like this which are regularly "watched" by Board members.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]We need to show the club how much this club means to us as fans, it does not need to be agressive or totally hostile just let them know we have passion for this club and we want the best for it and sooner rather than later.[/quote]

I don't think they doubt that. Look at collectively what the fans have helped the club achieve, especially over the dark period of the 1980s and early 90's. That kind of practical love and passion for the club has lead into areas like the fans forum, and sites like this which are regularly "watched" by Board members.[/quote]

I agree but that was the past but we need to act on on the NOW and a new generation need to show this as well not via internet just writing a few words.
  • Options
    I agree with LB, and the show of passion needs to be now, I don't see how it can frighten off possible new investors to see that their potential "customers" really care about their potential "product"!

Now what's potential at Barnet?
  • Options
    IMO the time has passed to show the distain of it all,

lets just hope that in a few weeks there will be the birth of a new era of Charlton Atletic at the moment my fight has been drained away

one things for sure if you are going to protest please dont aim it the playing squad or mgmt they are all we have at the moment get behind the boys and aim your noise at the right people if thats what you want to do..

i just hope it doesnt scare off any potential moves in the financial front
  • Options
    The Barnet match doesn't mean a lot as the team was made up with youth and fringe players.
    The fact that Fortune was wearing the red and white of Sheff Utd and not Charlton is far more indicative of the state of our team.
    Whilst I applaud the idea and actions of supporters to form a Supporters Trust it is time to make our feelings known about the current state of our club. This can be done either before or after the Ipswich game, not during the game as the team and management need our support, but the Board and the potential investors need to know that we are not happy with the lack of progress in their negotiations.

We saved the Valley once, it is now time to save it again.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    [cite]Posted By: lancashire lad[/cite]I agree with LB, and the show of passion needs to be now, I don't see how it can frighten off possible new investors to see that their potential "customers" really care about their potential "product"!

Now what's potential at Barnet?

a show of passion is by turning up in vast numbers and cheering in our team with gusto and not booing after we concede a goal or misplace a pass

this should start at the first league game and continue all season

no player will want to join us if we are a hostile home ground and we already have this reputation amongst other clubs so lets turn it on it's head and do our bit for the club and prove we are a force yo be reckoned with!!
  • Options
    1st of all I have never suggested that we are hostile to the team or their management, that would be counter productive.

Having been a Charlton supporter for over 50 yrs I guess I am one of the older ones on this forum & I can't get to the valley on Tuesday for reasons that I have already stated. It is now up to you younger ones to take up the fight, those that run this club and those who might take it over need to know that their negotiations need to be concluded now so that I team can be put on the field that won't get relegated again and might have a chance of promotion.

So get off your keyboards and go and protest either before or after the game on Tuesday.
  • Options
    Agree with and understand all the frustration, but what are we meant to 'protest' about?
  • Options
    everyone will clap our leader tuesday,everything is rosy,we will walk wycombe.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AllLeftFoot[/cite]Agree with and understand all the frustration, but what are we meant to 'protest' about?

that is 100% the fundamental issue.

I understand every iota of the frustration, but if you are to protest you have to be very clear what you are protesting against. As far as i can see from all the suggestions, it is not so much a protest people want, but an opportunity to sound off and publicly vent their frustrations that the club doesn't seem to be showing any definative signs that it has stopped sliding.

The only justifiable way of protest i think could have any credibility would be if it emerged that the reason the club has not been sold is being unencouraging to potential buyers, that collectively the current board are asking an unrealistic return for the club, or that what is shown as the debts of the club are not accurate. I genuinely believe the first two options are not true, and i have no idea at present if the 3nd option is true or not.

If it emerges we are in stuck in this limbo situation due to the supposed buyer messing us around, then i'm not really sure what we can protest about.