Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Where's this takeover then ?

edited July 2009 in General Charlton
Lots on here claim to have inside knowledge so what's the story ? Looks like a pile of nothing to me.

I can imagine a Director level restructure, a bit of fresh funding and all of this taking a couple of months with pretty much silence in between !

Comments

• Options
    Read back through the threads its clear why it has stalled....

and when i say clear I mean our pure speculation seems to make sense from a complete outsiders point of view ;)
  • Options
    Without reading through hundreds of threads and comments my assumption is that to have a buyer you need something to sell - and we don't have much to sell.

Sad state of affairs that Southampton, Notts County and Katie Price have more to offer than we do.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
  • Options
    edited July 2009
  • Options
    i was told last nyt that its all gone through and signed sealed and delivered. Theres a ten day cooling off period and we should hear by start of next week. Im not an in the know super head or anything just repeating what ive been told by a mate who knows something. Maybe its true maybe its not but i hope we hear one way or the other by next week!
  • Options
    Is there any truth in the Charlton staff meeting scheduled for today rumour from yesterday ?
  • Options
    " Fire................"
  • Options
    Is that you Carpet ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cookierules[/cite]i was told last nyt that its all gone through and signed sealed and delivered. Theres a ten day cooling off period and we should hear by start of next week. Im not an in the know super head or anything just repeating what ive been told by a mate who knows something. Maybe its true maybe its not but i hope we hear one way or the other by next week!

Oh dear oh dear oh dear!
  • Options
    Cookie, how reliable is your mate ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have read elsewere we will here Thursday
  • Options
    Yeah.Have a ten!! day cooling off period.It's not like the fans are bothered. ;-)
  • Options
    afka hes a season ticket holder like me. He said the chap he spoke with is the head steward and he trains up the same gym. Im just passing on what ive been told. Im not "in the know" and it is just another rumour! But if it has happened and share holders not been told would this point to a part buyout and not a zabeel type of TO?
  • Options
    Cooling off period!!

This is a football club not a bloody a mobile phone contract
  • Options
    does anyone really think the head steward would know what is going on. some people do talk utter twadle. when some thing is done i am sure the club will let us all know the more we all talk about about it the more wound up every one gets. lets all just wait and see
  • Options
    14 day refund period? Haha
  • Options
    So it is a pile of nothing then.
  • Options
    i think anyone buying charlton would need their brains tested so maybe they're giving them a long enough period to pull out which is very sporting of our board
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]Cooling off period!!

This is a football club not a bloody a mobile phone contract

LOL
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: itsmyball[/cite]does anyone really think the head steward would know what is going on. some people do talk utter twadle. when some thing is done i am sure the club will let us all know the more we all talk about about it the more wound up every one gets. lets all just wait and see

At least he's being honest about where his source comes from - 90% of people say they've heard something but can't say who from, and guess what, all those people have been wrong so far.

In my heart of hearts I don't think anything's going to happen now. We need to stop looking for a miracle and just get on with the hard work of rebuilding our club.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This is all getting frightfully silly now. I genuinely cannot see what Southampton, Notts County and the like could possibly hold over us at all in anyway shape or form. This whole thing has turned into a sick joke. I bet if we went into administration we would be the first biggish club not to be bought, how many mirrors have we all collectively broken?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PL54[/cite]Is that you Carpet ?

Yep..........
    Hows your mighty "Hammers" doing mate ?
    ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: pilchard[/cite]This is all getting frightfully silly now. I genuinely cannot see what Southampton, Notts County and the like could possibly hold over us at all in anyway shape or form. This whole thing has turned into a sick joke. I bet if we went into administration we would be the first biggish club not to be bought, how many mirrors have we all collectively broken?
    It's pretty simple: CAFC has a massive amount of debt due to the people that are selling. With all that debt we're really not viable. The new buyers therefore need to agree a price that sees a lot of that debt being written off. The sellers, understandably, don't want to flush a big chunk of their children's inheretance down the pan: so it's a difficult negotiation.

Soton and Notts don't have this issue and it's why "friendly" debt is an easy way to get cash in, but long term it can be very problematic. I've never been involved in negotiating anything quite like this, but I've done a few deals with a cash value that is greatly in excess of the CAFC and, without fail, they drag and drag and always take longer than everybody estimates. My hunch is that it's either done and in due diligence or it's at a stalemate where the buyers aren't prepared to pay what's being asked unless the directors write off more of their debt. If it is the latter, sooner or later somebody will have to back down. Personally I'd guess that the buyers have the whip hand as the directors are continuing to put more cash in to keep the thing afloat, so if the deal dies they're likely to lose even more as they try and prop the club up while they find another buyer. Also, with the current team we can all see things getting worse so (I'm just guessing here again) so the directors will see the overall value of the club go down at the same time. It's a lose-lose for them to hang on, but as any poker player will know from grim experience, the hardest thing to do is to cut your losses even when things are looking bleak. Murray and the gang are holding pocket 3s and have made a daring raises: then an A K Q gets flopped. Rationally, you walk, but part of you always thinks the other guys are bluffing or that something will pop up for you on the turn and it's hard to abandon an investment

Sorry, this has gone off on a tangent.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Thats a pretty good analogy actually! I would have imagined that Southampton must have had some considerable debt and baggage in order to have gone into administration, Charlton's situation is as ever more complex. Let's hope that something is actually happening and that it happens very soon, although knowing our luck we will probably start on the first day of the season being no more advanced or knowing anything more than we do now.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Spot on, McL. I think that's a brilliantly cogent summary of exactly what has been going on over the last few weeks.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Or maybe nowt much is going on any more and we may find that out soon, that is my fear.
  • Options
    my 2 penneth.

There is never smoke without fire, I think something is going on.

BUT

If you are buying a business (thats what cafc is to the buyer), you want to do so under the most advantagous conditions as you can. What we have is a deal in due dilligence or brinksmanship pure and simple. As Mclovin has said above, the upper hand is VERY firmly with the buyer and certainly not the owner of the failing business.

Id be pretty sure that the buyers are pushing for more and more debt to be written off knowing that realistically, the owners arent going to find a new buyer before the start of the season and will be saddled with propping up the club for another season. Given the period required for due dilligence we are in the dead zone where a decision has to be made now either way by the owners.

This is a really sh!t position for the club to be in.

Buyout or no buyout the best way for the club to turn things around is on the pitch. Better results and decent football will bring people through the gates etc etc etc.

That said I hope we get good news today.
  • Options
    Should the board not have kept the business ticking over as normal though.Everything has come to a complete standstill for months now as far as i can see.
    A very poor and unproffesional strategy in my opinion that smacks of desperation on every level.If the buyers want to get us at a cut price we are playing right into their hands.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite] My hunch is that it's either done and in due diligence or it's at a stalemate where the buyers aren't prepared to pay what's being asked unless the directors write off more of their debt. .

So what you say is based on a hunch. Fair enough.

It could be the done and in due diligence or it's a stalemate. Fair enough

yes, very cogent : - (
  • Options
    I agree with your two penneth Lardy (and hope things are advancing apace but that is tempered by the atmosphere of late) and I find myself in sympathy with CB also.