Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Anything to do in Kent?!?

edited July 2009 in Not Sports Related
I'll be going on holiday for two weeks on Monday and will be leving my girlfriend behind. So, on Sat, we were going to spend the day together, but I have no idea what we can do (apart from the obvious ;-) )

I've already suggested a nice trip to bournemouth but got turned down. She said she doesnt care what we do as long as it does not involve football (I think she's worried she wont see me soon as the season starts)

So I was hoping some lifers could suggest some good places to visit in Kent.

Comments

• If you are into walking, cycling or even assualt courses (Go Ape) Bedgebury Pinetum is great.
  • Take her to Bluewater.

She'll love it.

;o)
  • Come and row some boats on the Canal down in Hythe.
  • Depends what you're both into

Whitstable is good if you like your seafood, washed down with a good beer

Canterbury is good for a bit of shopping and then a good beer

Bluewater is Bluewater, womans paradise. Let her go shopping while you have a good beer

Gillingham if you're after a quote for your driveway to be tarmac'd. Then go somewhere else for a good beer
  • you see i think bluewater is hell on earth...

im off to hythe for the weekend JT. 8 of us so watch out for a drunken rabble tho we are staying in sandgate.
  • [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]

im off to hythe for the weekend JT. 8 of us so watch out for a drunken rabble tho we are staying in sandgate.

Lovely. Where are you staying? My birthday Saturday so i'll be on a Folkestone Sandgate Hythe pub crawl thing.
  • At the sandgate hotel. We booked in for dinner down at the Seafood in hythe sat night but no doubt will be in a few sandgate pubs in the afternoon
  • pub walk around here
    http://www.thechaser.co.uk/

Or visit Ightam Mote.

Or both ... could walk from Chaser to Ightam Mote (hop over the low wall to buy some nice ice cream and have a free gander at one of the best NT places in Kent) then across to The Kentish Rifleman in Dunks Green (for a nice pint of Harveys) and back to The Chaser.
  • jump on the eurostar to disneyland paris.
  • Really nice food down at that place. Sandgate Hotel is a decent place to drink with the terrace over looking the sea.
  • Sponsored links:

• Leeds Castle (near Maidstone)
  • Well Bluewater is a no go, as we're there almost once a week (the times we dont go, usually in Lakeside instead)

Was thinking maybe something with some history. Really would like to go to the underground WW2 bunkers in Dover but prob to far.
  • edited July 2009
    Chartwell ?

Could tie in with nice walk including The Fox and Hounds at Toys Hill.
  • http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-ighthammote

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-chartwell.htm
  • Leeds Castle is great and the ticket allows you to come back for a year as well.
    Hever Castle and Penshurst Place are both nice to wander round as well.

fort amherst is underground if you are still keen on the bunker type thing, but I am not sure how often it is open.
  • [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]At the sandgate hotel. We booked in for dinner down at the Seafood in hythe sat night but no doubt will be in a few sandgate pubs in the afternoon
    Am trying to arrange a bit of a daytime jolly. Starting at Otford, onto Shoreham, then Eynesford and Farningham.
    The beauty being, if the walk is too much, each location has a regular connecting train service.
    Just waiting for a sunny Saturday.
  • As someone stated earlier...Bedgebury Pinetum is one of natures greatest treasures here in England...a truly beautiful place where time means nothing.
    Sorry to sound a bit morbid but I plan to have my ashes scattered there.
  • if you want history just spend the day in the best place in Kent Canterbury there is no other city in Kent like it its a really nice city when i moved there from South London i diddnt think cities like it still existed its a really great place loads to do
  • [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]if you want history just spend the day in the best place in Kent Canterbury there is no other city in Kent like it its a really nice city when i moved there from South London i diddnt think cities like it still existed its a really great place loads to do

Yep, the old streets around the cathedral are good and there is a nice Tapas restaurant there
  • [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]As someone stated earlier...Bedgebury Pinetum is one of natures greatest treasures here in England...a truly beautiful place where time means nothing.

Can you have your family check the wind is not blowing towards Cranbrook on that day, nothing personal
  • Sponsored links:

• You could stay round 3blokes house in Maidstone and listen to Pigeons chant ' united , united '
  • [cite]Posted By: cfgs[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]As someone stated earlier...Bedgebury Pinetum is one of natures greatest treasures here in England...a truly beautiful place where time means nothing.

Can you have your family check the wind is not blowing towards Cranbrook on that day, nothing personal

Ha ha...mate that's a good one.
    I used to live in Benenden...not far from that beautiful little pub The Woodcock near Iden Green.If you go down the hill towards Sandhurst for about half a mile or so, on the right is a big old white ship lap water mill which was derelict for many years and is now flats.
    Opposite that is an old house...Watermill House built circa 1390....I used to live in there....happy days.
  • [cite]Posted By: Robbo on the wing[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]At the sandgate hotel. We booked in for dinner down at the Seafood in hythe sat night but no doubt will be in a few sandgate pubs in the afternoon
    Am trying to arrange a bit of a daytime jolly. Starting at Otford, onto Shoreham, then Eynesford and Farningham.
    The beauty being, if the walk is too much, each location has a regular connecting train service.
    Just waiting for a sunny Saturday.

Sounds good. let us know!
  • What sort of thing does she enjoy?
    A meander around Canterbury getting bashed about by tourists is OK. Cathedral city with pavement cafe culture, trashy food and usual high street clone shops. Could move on then to Whitstable, walk the sea shore, meander, have a drink at the seashore pub and end up in the Fish and Chip restaurant on the harbour by the window to get harbour views. Good F&C. You may still be able to book a trip on one of the old Thames barges. Beautiful gardens at NT Sissinghurst Castle, very womans stuff - especially the white garden, restaurant food good but pricey. Steam railways, castles, Roman remains, ancient pathways across the Downs, history, marshes that are a twitchers paradise, it's all here but depends on what you enjoy.
  • [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: cfgs[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]As someone stated earlier...Bedgebury Pinetum is one of natures greatest treasures here in England...a truly beautiful place where time means nothing.

Ha ha...mate that's a good one.
    I used to live in Benenden...not far from that beautiful little pub The Woodcock near Iden Green.If you go down the hill towards Sandhurst for about half a mile or so, on the right is a big old white ship lap water mill which was derelict for many years and is now flats.
    Opposite that is an old house...Watermill House built circa 1390....I used to live in there....happy days.

went there for a fire a good few years back, nothing major only a waste paper bin as I recall
  • What...the pub...the water mill...or the old house (which is on the other side of the road from the mill)?
  • [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]What...the pub...the water mill...or the old house (which is on the other side of the road from the mill)?

The old house it must have been about 10 or 12 years ago. I always used to think that the watermill would make a great house, if I had had the wedge I might have been on Grand Designs
  • Knowle Park, - Plenty of Deer and The House (when open)
    Hever Castle - Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn
    Ightham Mote
    Sissinghurst Gardens
    Chartwell - (Churchills home)
    Tunbridge Wells - The Pantilles
    Broadstairs - Lovely Old Seaside Town
    Sandwich - Plenty of History
    Dover and Deal - Cinque Ports
  • My god whoever was living there must have shat themselves it's entirley made from timber....it's one of the oldest houses in Kent and is of course listed....no central heating or double glazing allowed....all log fires and the odd electric storage rad here and there(not that they did a lot of good!)...Christ it was cold but the most fantastic traditional Christmasses you could ever imagine.................with my dear old mum and dad............oh for those days again.
  • Howletts Wild Animal Park nr Canterbury