Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Derek Chappell

edited July 2009 in General Charlton
It may just be coincidence but from my perspective it all appeared to start going pear shaped when he emerged from wherever he came.

Does anybody know who he is? According to publicity blurb I've read on him he has been a season ticket holder since 1967.

There are a few old gits here dating back to then or earlier. as one of those old gits I can state unequivocally that i don't know him and never have.

I would have thought that if he genuinely has been around as long as has been stated a few on here would know him or of him before he emerged as a major shareholder and director.

Comments

• Options
    Imagine, you put £6m into the club, and then Iain Dowie spunks it up the wall
  • Options
    And further, I don't think I've ever heard anyone pronounce his name out loud. Is it "Chapel" or "SSSha-pell"?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: LoOkOuT[/cite]And further, I don't think I've ever heard anyone pronounce his name out loud. Is it "Chapel" or "SSSha-pell"?[/quote]

His actual name is David La Sssshapell.
  • Options
    len, i think derek has to take his fair share of the blame along with other durectors and dowie/pardew.

But the 'i'd never heard of him' bit doesnt make sense.

How many lifers had you heard of or met before CL started? does that mean they werent fans or is it more likely that most of us know a few dozen other fans at most.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]len, i think derek has to take his fair share of the blame along with other durectors and dowie/pardew.

But the 'i'd never heard of him' bit doesnt make sense.

How many lifers had you heard of or met before CL started? does that mean they werent fans or is it more likely that most of us know a few dozen other fans at most.

think Len has a point. For example, if Steve Clarke or Craig Norris suddenly invested 5m in the Club then a lot of us would have previously heard of him or known him. Can anyone say the same of Chappell ?

And about ten lifers (at least) that I've known before CL started (not including Golfie and jimmymelrose).
  • Options
    I'm maybe missing the point here.

Does it matter whether you have heard of him before or not ?

what difference would it make if he is someone who travelled for 20 years on Betty's coach, or went once in a blue moon ?

He is someone who as far as i can see has invested £5m-£10m into Charlton. Question the decision-making process of which he has been part of, but i don't see one iota of difference of what his background is, or how 'Charlton' he may be
  • Options
    but surely we can question 'why' he invested especially if maybe he wasn't Charlton after all.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    From Wikipedia

but its sources are entirely Club press releases.

I think Len has a point too. Those I know who have met him, find it difficult to know what to make of him.

I think his interventions on CL were pretty odd. I wasn't the only one to doubt at first whether it wasn't a wind up, and for me it was the pretty illiterate way he wrote, which made me doubtful. I wondered whether he thought he should 'write down to our level'.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]but surely we can question 'why' he invested especially if maybe he wasn't Charlton after all.

And Richard Murray was supposedly a Wolves fan (or someone like that), wasn't he ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PragueAddick[/cite]From Wikipedia I wondered whether he thought he should 'write down to our level'.

painting by numbers you mean ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    i heard from a source (probably as wank a source as every other goon on here) that chappel wanted to spend a few quid in the january transfer window to give us a chance of staying up but murray didn't ....
    so on that basis fair play to chapple no matter how mad you are pissing your money up the wall on our club at least you wanted to have a punt and stop us from relegation rather than just sit there and let it happen
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]I'm maybe missing the point here.

Does it matter whether you have heard of him before or not ?

what difference would it make if he is someone who travelled for 20 years on Betty's coach, or went once in a blue moon ?

He is someone who as far as i can see has invested £5m-£10m into Charlton. Question the decision-making process of which he has been part of, but i don't see one iota of difference of what his background is, or how 'Charlton' he may be

He "marketed himself" (if that is the correct phrase) as a fan. A season ticket holder since 1967 I believe. That is why it is relevant in my view.

I wouldn't expect Sheikh Hippy Hippy (one for the oldies in their swinging blue jeans) to be a Charlton fan but if somebody has been around 40 years or more as a season ticket holder and has told the world as much then I would expect other long term regular fans to recognise the face even if they couldn't necessarily put a name to it.

Hence the question. I didn't know the face or name before he became a director so did anybody else?

That's my point.

The attendances back in the day were pretty small at times after all!

That's my point.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]i heard from a source (probably as wank a source as every other goon on here) that chappel wanted to spend a few quid in the january transfer window to give us a chance of staying up but murray didn't ....
    so on that basis fair play to chapple no matter how mad you are pissing your money up the wall on our club at least you wanted to have a punt and stop us from relegation rather than just sit there and let it happen

I thought it was the other way round ooh Aah !
  • Options
    The only board member I had heard of before they joined the board was Michael Grade. So as he is the odd one out I blame him ! String him up I say !

For god sake the only people that knows what is going on are the board and the buyers. This board is turning into a lynch mob.
  • Options
    i was shocked when i heard this in february at the same time i got told moots had some fisticuffs with another player so maybe true maybe not just my tuppence worth of crap for the day ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SparrowsLane[/cite]The only board member I had heard of before they joined the board was Michael Grade. So as he is the odd one out I blame him ! String him up I say !

For god sake the only people that knows what is going on are the board and the buyers. This board is turning into a lynch mob.

Is it unreasonable to ask whether anybody knew or knew of a season ticket holder of 40 years standing prior to his joining the Board?
  • Options
    Interesting that according to Wikipedia Chappell "still owns some healthcare related businesses" - I wonder if it features a nice private psychiatric hospital so that all us long suffering fans can be treated for the variety of depressive and stress related illnesses we are currently through during this utterly shambolic period (otherwise known as what the f*ck is going on at Charlton).

Me, cynical? No just well and truly pissed off.
  • Options
    If you look at the Wikipedia entry, it says DC first had a season ticket in the 1960s. It doesn't say he has had one since 1967. There is a big difference.

From recollection, Martin Simons didn't support the team continuously when he was younger because he played on Saturdays; Kevin Nolan spent some years in the USA - does anyone question their credentials because of that?

Derek Chappell is a leading member of the board and deserves his share of any stick that is flying about on that basis, but I have met him and can vouch that he is a fan. It's just that some people don't prioritise CAFC above everything else for their entire life.

In the same way some (not me) might decide to go to Edgbaston instead of Hartlepool on August 15th for example (and I was at Canterbury last night). Presumably they'll still be allowed to post here if they do . . .
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Airman Brown[/cite]
    In the same way some (not me) might decide to go to Edgbaston instead of Hartlepool on August 15th for example (and I was at Canterbury last night). Presumably they'll still be allowed to post here if they do . . .

You talking about Scoop ? :-)
  • Options
    Just to further Airman's point, Chappell's father and grandfather were Charlton fans i believe, so i think the connection goes back to the 1920s, so i have no doubt on his connection credentials.

On the other hand though, i don't expect to see him at too many away games next season...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    "Is it unreasonable to ask whether anybody knew or knew of a season ticket holder of 40 years standing prior to his joining the Board?."

He may have been a supporter since 1967, but, he may not have attended a lot of games, who knows. I've missed a handful of home games since 1975, but, I doubt anyone would know me from adam. Until we know what has been going on lets leave the blame game alone.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Airman Brown[/cite]

You talking about Scoop ? :-)

I don't think we need worry about Scoop mastering the technology to post on here . . .
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]On the other hand though, i don't expect to see him at too many away games next season...

so that puts him with the huge majority of us charlton fans who only go to home games ...
  • Options
    Is he related to Francis Chapple?
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    [cite]Posted By: LoOkOuT[/cite]And further, I don't think I've ever heard anyone pronounce his name out loud. Is it "Chapel" or "SSSha-pell"?

200px-Ryan_Chappelle.jpg
  • Options
    http://www.cafc.co.uk/newsview.ink?nid=32130&newstype=n

...."Although unable to recall his first Charlton match - "it was my older brother, who now lives in Vancouver, who brought me to a game” - Chappell himself has been a season-ticket holder since the late 1960s.

"There were many games I came to when there were only about 3,000 or so of us in an 80,000-standing stadium,” he recalled.

"There were lots of good times and lots of bad times, as Charlton fans know well.”.........

From the Official Site therefore it must be true so we are constantly told!:-)

I must have read 1967 elsewhere but the overall point remains valid.

I take the point about other interests. I played rugby for many years so only got to mid week and friday night games for much of that time, sometimes not even then if I was working away in Wales or the West Country for example. However I still think longterm regular fans would know him or know of him from the old days that is all I am saying.

The good Airman and I may not be political soulmates but i'll happily accept his word as to who is or is not a genuine Charlton fan. If he backs Derek then that is good enough for me and answers the question i raised.
  • Options
    "It may just be coincidence but from my perspective it all appeared to start going pear shaped when he emerged from wherever he came."

So now that you accept that he is a supporter, was it just a coincidence or not ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SparrowsLane[/cite]"It may just be coincidence but from my perspective it all appeared to start going pear shaped when he emerged from wherever he came."

So now that you accept that he is a supporter, was it just a coincidence or not ?

That I don't know. What do you think?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Heath Hero[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LoOkOuT[/cite]And further, I don't think I've ever heard anyone pronounce his name out loud. Is it "Chapel" or "SSSha-pell"?

200px-Ryan_Chappelle.jpg

Lest anyone should be confused................. that is not a picture of Derek Chappel.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]i heard from a source (probably as wank a source as every other goon on here) that chappel wanted to spend a few quid in the january transfer window to give us a chance of staying up but murray didn't ....

I thought it was the other way round ooh Aah !

Yep thats what I heard as well