Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Derek Chappell

2»

Comments

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]It may just be coincidence but from my perspective it all appeared to start going pear shaped when he emerged from wherever he came.

Does anybody know who he is? According to publicity blurb I've read on him he has been a season ticket holder since 1967.

There are a few old gits here dating back to then or earlier. as one of those old gits I can state unequivocally that i don't know him and never have.

I would have thought that if he genuinely has been around as long as has been stated a few on here would know him or of him before he emerged as a major shareholder and director.[/quote]

So what?

Does a prospective director have to be a known name and face that meets with your approval?

We have around 9,000 ST holders at present, I wonder how many are "known" to more than a few friends/those who sit in their vicinity. I suspect he's one of the vast majority that turns up, watches the match and then goes home.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]It may just be coincidence but from my perspective it all appeared to start going pear shaped when he emerged from wherever he came.

Does anybody know who he is? According to publicity blurb I've read on him he has been a season ticket holder since 1967.

There are a few old gits here dating back to then or earlier. as one of those old gits I can state unequivocally that i don't know him and never have.

I would have thought that if he genuinely has been around as long as has been stated a few on here would know him or of him before he emerged as a major shareholder and director.

So what?

Does a prospective director have to be a known name and face that meets with your approval?

We have around 9,000 ST holders at present, I wonder how many are "known" to more than a few friends/those who sit in their vicinity. I suspect he's one of the vast majority that turns up, watches the match and then goes home.

As I tried to state above we have not always had thousands of season ticket holders. Derek has had one since the late 1960s according to the Official Site so I would have thought people would know the face if not the name which is why I asked the question.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]

Chappell himself has been a season-ticket holder since the late 1960s.

"If he backs Derek then that is good enough for me and answers the question i raised.

Fair enough.

All I am saying is that I think people should be cautious of pinning blame on one person because of the timing of his first public appearance. What has happened at Charlton is complex and there is some truth in the argument that circumstances and bad luck have exposed flaws that were always there. The quality of recent leadership and decision-making is also a factor, but it's not about any one individual.
  • Options
    i blame andrew mills

Ironic that someone cited steve clarke when he used to be a southend fan. And thats not a dig at Steve.

There was an excellent interview/profile of Chappell on CL at the time he became Plc chair. Cant remember who wrote it ; - )
  • Options
    http://www.charltonlife.com/blog/?p=177

Not as good an article as I remembered. : - )
  • Options
    Pray for Success with Charlton’s Chappell
    The big news this week was off the pitch with the announcement by Charlton of a bond issue worth up to £20m. The issue has to be ratified at an emergency General Meeting on March 10th but five directors have already said that they will support the issue to the tune of just under £14m.

It shows that the current board are confident in the future of the club and that that confidence extends to the new management arrangements. Richard Murray will continue to run the football side of the club and Alan Pardew will report to him while Derek Chappell becomes Chairman of the PLC.

When I congratulated Derek on his new role his response was “I am very proud and have hardly taken the smile off my face all weekend, if ever!  It’s the impossible dream actually come true”.

But who is this Derek Chappell?  Well he’s a life long Charlton fan who first came to the Valley in the mid-sixties with his older brother but his family’s connection to the club go back further than that. His father was a Charlton fan and his grandfather was a season ticket holder back in 1920.

His fondest memories are of the 70’s and players like Hales, Powell and Peacock although the time he drove up to see Charlton lose to Wolves in a cup game only for the old mini he was in to break down on the motorway on the way back is not a highlight.

Derek was born in Dartford but moved to Strood when he was five where he lived until he was 23. He’s worked all around Kent; in the Medway towns, Maidstone, Canterbury, Ramsgate, Broadstairs and beyond and is proud of that connection with Kent despite now living in central London after spending some years in Scotland.

Derek made his money from a very successful healthcare business – he was once entrepreneur of the year – with hospitals in both England and Scotland.  They have now been sold and it was part of the proceeds that enabled him to buy a significant share in the club and join the board in 2005. He still has a number of other business interests in England and Scotland plus a hospital in Vancouver which will no doubt create some interest from the many Canadian Addicks.

I’ve always felt that the way Charlton have over the years brought in more directors with their expertise, and money, while hanging on to the expertise, and money, of those who were already there has been one of our strengths. Derek sees his stepping up to take on some of the Richard Murray’s responsibilities as another part of that evolution and a positive development of the club.

He may not be the exotic foreign investor that so many clubs seem to be looking for but, more important in my eyes, he’s a Charlton fan.