Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Prague info required

Comments

• Options
    Just read about that gas explosion today. Looks only a couple of hundred yards from where I stayed.
  • Options
    I'm off to Prague tomorrow for the weekend (stag Do).

As it's a Stag Do I'll no doubt be spending much of the time in the less cultural parts of the city (!), but will have a bit of spare time.

On traveling to new places I'm always keen to find local recommendations. Anyone on here been recently or able to suggest decent bars, restaurants, sights etc (or alternatively places to avoid!). I'm guessing @PragueAddick is probably the man to ask!

Thanks in advance
  • Options
    Pragueaddick gave me some good advice not for stag party's though.
    If you find yourself near the old town square, have a drink and/or bite to eat in the old mint building. Think it's called Mincovna.
  • Options
    Great place & really cheap. No specific recommendations, other than spending a day or a good part thereof around the river. It's beautiful with plenty of bars & restaurants.
  • Options
    I need to get away for a few days next month, currently mulling over Berlin, Coopenhagen or Prague. I've been to Coopenhagen quite a lot, so feel pretty safe there, and I was in Berlin about 6 weeks ago and enjoyed it. Prague I'm not so sure about though?
  • Options
    Prague is a fantastic city to visit, especially if you haven't visited before. At work so can't write more, but definitely recommend
  • Options
    Also you'll be spoilt for choice with brewery's but I recommend pivovar narodni.
    You can get a tram to narodni divadlo.
    The public transport network is great out there. We usually get a 72hr ticket which cost 310 koruna (about £9 I think) which gets you on everything.
  • Options
    Prague is top notch.
  • Options
    So if it's a stag...you will be in the old town, but in certain streets. Dlouha ulice (ulice means street) has more or less developed into a nightlife - dedicated road, loads of bars and restaurants, including one that does good fish and chips, and I think is British run.

If you do want a civilised place to drink really top Pilsner Urquell and have good food too, then Mincovna would indeed be my top pick . It has the capacity such that a big table for a group will probably be available. The thing to remember about Czech pubs is that generally you can't just walk in, stand at the bar and have a beer. You have to sit down at a table, and be served. Me, I think that's way better, but it doesn't suit a group of lads wanting to drift from place to place, with one or two beers in each. I've not been to Pivovar narodni, which @paulbaconsarnie reccos. but have heard only good things about it.

If you want to pay for sex, the upmarket choice is K5 although they might be iffy about a large group turning up at the same time. At all costs don't let anyone persuade you that Show Park is the place. if you fancy your chances on "the park" then Kozicka (near Dlouha) is probably your best bet, though it gets really busy and is an exception where you have to fight your way at the bar to get served.

The summer is roaring on here, will be 28 through til Monday, so maybe with a hangover you best bet is to take one of the river cruises.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fuck me, I never realized Pilsner Urquell is Czech. It's all I was really drinking in Berlin, the pub near where we were staying served it - was a brilliant drink.
  • Options
    edited September 2016

Goldfingers.

That is all.

Ah yes I forgot Goldfingers. Recommended. In fact it's a must for a stag "do".

NSFW ! http://www.goldfingers.cz/welcome/?lang=en
  • Options

Goldfingers.

That is all.

got to agree with this
  • Options
    Oh yes, and if you are still here on Sunday evening you can join me at Letna (Sparta's gaff) to watch Josh Maginnis.

Worryingly, I think this might be the first ever time I have seen a current Charlton player serving his country, in the flesh.
  • Options

Oh yes, and if you are still here on Sunday evening you can join me at Letna (Sparta's gaff) to watch Josh Maginnis.

Worryingly, I think this might be the first ever time I have seen a current Charlton player serving his country, in the flesh.

Good point! Unfortunately I'm back in the UK on Sunday eve! Many thanks for all the pointers mate, looking forward to it.
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

Fuck me, I never realized Pilsner Urquell is Czech. It's all I was really drinking in Berlin, the pub near where we were staying served it - was a brilliant drink.

Seriously? You spent time in Berlin drinking a Czech 'beer' that you can buy in Tesco?! The mind boggles!!!
  • Options

LuckyReds said:

Seriously? You spent time in Berlin drinking a Czech 'beer' that you can buy in Tesco?! The mind boggles!!!
    Oi!!! That isn't any Czech beer. That is the best mainstream Pilsner in Europe, and that isn't just my opinion. What would you have had him drink? That Berliner piss with lime juice in it?

:-)
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Just about to fly there with the wife. Never been before. Looks very cold...

Trying to work out what recommendations on here are safe and which aren't...  :D
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

Trying to work out what recommendations on here are safe and which aren't...  :D
    Lovely bar you should take her to called Goldfingers
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    Huskaris said:

Lovely bar you should take her to called Goldfingers
    Thanks, will head there this evening and let you know how it goes...
  • Options
    Jesus, I was part of the group mentioned in the original post who went out there, can't believe it was nearly 14 years ago!
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

My favourite by a long chalk is the Charles Bridge and surroundings over the Vlatava river.
    Wenceslas Square is decent, although it's not a square, more like a busy shopping street.
    There's a decent market.
    We booked an old car tour, which was good fun, but bumpy and chilly (December) through viator.com
  • Options
    I would heartily recommend La Boca Argentinian steak house. The food was amazing and very reasonably priced, and it's easy to get to being a short walk from Náměstí Republiky on the underground and numerous tram lines, plus it's only a short walk from the city centre if you're so inclined.

https://www.laboca.cz/
  • Options
    You can bring some tomatoes back with you  ;)
  • Options
    Isnt there another thread, tho? I’m sure I’ve written a load of reccos more recently
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Loved it so far, whisked through passport control, charged nothing for roaming, had a lovely, albeit insanely racist taxi driver, who even went on to tell me, after why he hates the Chinese and Germans, why he hates Ukrainians (they drive round Prague uninsured apparently...) went to a great meat restaurant (Kantyna), currently having a lovely cocktail. 

Now sounds like Goldfingers with the wife to round off a perfect day. 
  • Options
    The taxi driver was a twat, and doubtless drove like one. Airport taxi rank? The last of the low level gangster rackets. How much did he charge you?

Anyway Kantyna is a good choice, they have Pilsner from the tank, right?

If this helps , there’s a centrally located Asian fusion restaurant called Sia which is consistently raved about by friends both visiting and local. And its right next to Cerveny Jelen, the big super-pub which many Lifers have already enjoyed, but may be perhaps too similar in style to Kantyna. 

If you like rum, you should try Hemingways. 

The weather will be shite. Hoping for snow, but more likely rain with a nasty biting wind which is not at all typical.  

• Options
    edited February 2023
    The taxi driver was a twat, and doubtless drove like one. Airport taxi rank? The last of the low level gangster rackets. How much did he charge you?

If this helps , there’s a centrally located Asian fusion restaurant called Sia which is consistently raved about by friends both visiting and local. And its right next to Cerveny Jelen, the big super-pub which many Lifers have already enjoyed, but may be perhaps too similar in style to Kantyna. 

The weather will be shite. Hoping for snow, but more likely rain with a nasty biting wind which is not at all typical.  

He was nice enough, 10 Euros to district 1, was the husband of the person we are renting the apartment off (online, no connection to me, but she's the one who recommended Kantyna). He grew up in Florida, German mum, Slovakian father. Just happened to also harbour a lot of racist views but I tend to view many (many, not all) people in this part of the world as being stuck in 1989 sometimes, in many ways, the younger people are generally much better. I didn't notice the tomatoes yet because who gives a fuck about tomatoes but will take a look tomorrow and give a report. 

Kantyna was great, yeah I think it was straight from the tank. 

Stumbled across a bar called cafe bar maracas, was nice. Fantastic cocktails, really enjoyed it. 

Will take a look at Sia, thanks for that, love an Asian fusion. 
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

He was nice enough, 10 Euros to district 1, was the husband of the person we are renting the apartment off (online, no connection to me, but she's the one who recommended Kantyna). He grew up in Florida, German mum, Slovakian father. Just happened to also harbour a lot of racist views but I tend to view many (many, not all) people in this part of the world as being stuck in 1989 sometimes, in many ways, the younger people are generally much better. I didn't notice the tomatoes yet because who gives a fuck about tomatoes but will take a look tomorrow and give a report. 

Kantyna was great, yeah I think it was straight from the tank. 

Stumbled across a bar called cafe bar maracas, was nice. Fantastic cocktails, really enjoyed it. 

Will take a look at Sia, thanks for that, love an Asian fusion. 
    €10 is actually very decent to P1, even more so if you actually paid in euros. I was a bit struck by him not listing Russians on his hate list, but that background sort of explains it. 

Since the weather will be shite, and if you like that sort of thing, you could do worse than the National Museum which has had a major renovation. There is a cafe and attic space at the top with great views down on the city. Or check out the Honest Prague blog/videos, top guys keeping things real.

The tomatoes are of course from Spain or Italy and not much at this time of year, but I thought you might wish to bring some home and impress your friends😉 it just amuses me because in my early years here we would kill for fresh salad veg at this time of year.