Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Prague info required

13»

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2023
    Huskaris said:
    The taxi driver was a twat, and doubtless drove like one. Airport taxi rank? The last of the low level gangster rackets. How much did he charge you?

Anyway Kantyna is a good choice, they have Pilsner from the tank, right?

If this helps , there’s a centrally located Asian fusion restaurant called Sia which is consistently raved about by friends both visiting and local. And its right next to Cerveny Jelen, the big super-pub which many Lifers have already enjoyed, but may be perhaps too similar in style to Kantyna. 

If you like rum, you should try Hemingways. 

The weather will be shite. Hoping for snow, but more likely rain with a nasty biting wind which is not at all typical.  

He was nice enough, 10 Euros to district 1, was the husband of the person we are renting the apartment off (online, no connection to me, but she's the one who recommended Kantyna). He grew up in Florida, German mum, Slovakian father. Just happened to also harbour a lot of racist views but I tend to view many (many, not all) people in this part of the world as being stuck in 1989 sometimes, in many ways, the younger people are generally much better. I didn't notice the tomatoes yet because who gives a fuck about tomatoes but will take a look tomorrow and give a report. 

Kantyna was great, yeah I think it was straight from the tank. 

Stumbled across a bar called cafe bar maracas, was nice. Fantastic cocktails, really enjoyed it. 

Will take a look at Sia, thanks for that, love an Asian fusion. 
    €10 is actually very decent to P1, even more so if you actually paid in euros. I was a bit struck by him not listing Russians on his hate list, but that background sort of explains it. 

Since the weather will be shite, and if you like that sort of thing, you could do worse than the National Museum which has had a major renovation. There is a cafe and attic space at the top with great views down on the city. Or check out the Honest Prague blog/videos, top guys keeping things real.

The tomatoes are of course from Spain or Italy and not much at this time of year, but I thought you might wish to bring some home and impress your friends😉 it just amuses me because in my early years here we would kill for fresh salad veg at this time of year. 
    Checked out Sia, definitely going there, thanks. I fancy watching England v Wales today, and I'll want a Guinness. Any ideas, sir?
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Huskaris said:
    Huskaris said:
    The taxi driver was a twat, and doubtless drove like one. Airport taxi rank? The last of the low level gangster rackets. How much did he charge you?

If this helps , there’s a centrally located Asian fusion restaurant called Sia which is consistently raved about by friends both visiting and local. And its right next to Cerveny Jelen, the big super-pub which many Lifers have already enjoyed, but may be perhaps too similar in style to Kantyna. 

The weather will be shite. Hoping for snow, but more likely rain with a nasty biting wind which is not at all typical.  

He was nice enough, 10 Euros to district 1, was the husband of the person we are renting the apartment off (online, no connection to me, but she's the one who recommended Kantyna). He grew up in Florida, German mum, Slovakian father. Just happened to also harbour a lot of racist views but I tend to view many (many, not all) people in this part of the world as being stuck in 1989 sometimes, in many ways, the younger people are generally much better. I didn't notice the tomatoes yet because who gives a fuck about tomatoes but will take a look tomorrow and give a report. 

Stumbled across a bar called cafe bar maracas, was nice. Fantastic cocktails, really enjoyed it. 

€10 is actually very decent to P1, even more so if you actually paid in euros. I was a bit struck by him not listing Russians on his hate list, but that background sort of explains it. 

Since the weather will be shite, and if you like that sort of thing, you could do worse than the National Museum which has had a major renovation. There is a cafe and attic space at the top with great views down on the city. Or check out the Honest Prague blog/videos, top guys keeping things real.

The tomatoes are of course from Spain or Italy and not much at this time of year, but I thought you might wish to bring some home and impress your friends😉 it just amuses me because in my early years here we would kill for fresh salad veg at this time of year. 
    Checked out Sia, definitely going there, thanks. I fancy watching England v Wales today, and I'll want a Guinness. Any ideas, sir?
    This is probably your most reliable choice, it's just off Wenceslas Square. 

PS re Sia my Swedish mate and his family were there two weekends back and were raving about the oysters. I was a bit puzzled, but turned out they are not served raw but have something "Asian" done to them. 
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    Huskaris said:

Good luck finding rugby. 
    I couldn't find a bar showing the World Cup (apart from hotel bar).
    Most bars were showing darts or show jumping & seemed totally unaware & not interested in the WC. 
  • Options
    We’re going to Prague end March. Going to a gig whilst there on the Saturday night and will find somewhere to watch Czech rep v Poland on the day we arrive(Friday). As I think the game sold out quickly otherwise we’d have tried to go. Any other tips for restaurants? Or things to see/do? There till the Tuesday morning. 
  • Options
    We’re going to Prague end March. Going to a gig whilst there on the Saturday night and will find somewhere to watch Czech rep v Poland on the day we arrive(Friday). As I think the game sold out quickly otherwise we’d have tried to go. Any other tips for restaurants? Or things to see/do? There till the Tuesday morning. 
    What kind of food would you enjoy? "Typical Czech" is heavy on meat and often lacking in veg, although its more nuanced nowadays. Which area are you staying in? And what do you like to see/do beyond the obvious sights? Museums, galleries? 

These guys are definitely your friends, and you might have time to get their book guide before you leave
  • Options
    Have a conference upcoming based at Grandior hotel Prague. Will be my first time in Prague. 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Have a conference upcoming based at Grandior hotel Prague. Will be my first time in Prague. 
    You won't have a stunning view from your window but you are walking distance from good evening spots.
  • Options
    What kind of food would you enjoy? "Typical Czech" is heavy on meat and often lacking in veg, although its more nuanced nowadays. Which area are you staying in? And what do you like to see/do beyond the obvious sights? Museums, galleries? 

These guys are definitely your friends, and you might have time to get their book guide before you leave
    Staying at hotel au prince. 
    Eat anything and would prefer local cuisine or at least with a local twist. 
    Museums, churches, castles. 
    Would typically do a bus tour of a city for an overview but heard it’s quite pedestrianised and better to walk it as the bus goes round the city rather than through it. 
  • Options
    Thanks...just sure I'll have a stunning view during the conference either! 
  • Options
    Sia was absolutely phenomenal. One of the best Asian meals I've ever had. Only thing that slightly let it down is that most of it came at a decent speed, but we were waiting about 30 mins for our other dish to arrive.

Not exaggerating though, probably one of the top 5 Asian restaurants I've ever been to, and more importantly, the wife thought so too. Thanks @PragueAddick

Hopefully she won't enjoy the Irish bar as much when we watch the game, she's Welsh!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Huskaris said:
    Sia was absolutely phenomenal. One of the best Asian meals I've ever had. Only thing that slightly let it down is that most of it came at a decent speed, but we were waiting about 30 mins for our other dish to arrive.

Not exaggerating though, probably one of the top 5 Asian restaurants I've ever been to, and more importantly, the wife thought so too. Thanks @PragueAddick

Hopefully she won't enjoy the Irish bar as much when we watch the game, she's Welsh!
    That’s grest to hear. Hopefully made it up to you for all the shit I’ve dished you out over the years😉
    Hope you enjoy the rest of your time here.

p.s. pick up turnips as well as tomatoes to take back, Terese Coffey has caused a run on them too. And our turnips are hezky cesky…
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

That’s grest to hear. Hopefully made it up to you for all the shit I’ve dished you out over the years😉

p.s. pick up turnips as well as tomatoes to take back, Terese Coffey has caused a run on them too. And our turnips are hezky cesky…
    You absolute rascal. Thanks though mate, I had a great time, the pub was great. 

Met a chap from Belsize Park who worked for IKEA, moved to Prague a year ago. 

Said there weren't many "hidden gems" in Prague and that "everywhere is a bit similar" have to say I agree. He loved both Kantyna and Sia by the way. 

Fantastic pub, and a very good city. Thanks @pragueaddick back to London tomorrow!
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    Huskaris said:

You absolute rascal. Thanks though mate, I had a great time, the pub was great. 

Met a chap from Belsize Park who worked for IKEA, moved to Prague a year ago. 

Said there weren't many "hidden gems" in Prague and that "everywhere is a bit similar" have to say I agree. He loved both Kantyna and Sia by the way. 

Fantastic pub, and a very good city. Thanks @pragueaddick back to London tomorrow!
    I’m not sure if he meant localities or restaurants, but overall I guess its a reasonable assessment,  although some of the suburbs where hipsters live are showing signs of life, especially Vrsovice, where both Slavia and Bohemians have their stadia. On the other hand its a smaller city than Birmingham, and what i love about it is, everything’s accessible. You’d probably reserve a dinner table at Sia, but only a day ahead. My wife was at the State Opera Thursday night. I’ve seen my rock heroes live here that I never got to see in the UK, and then you jump on a metro and are home in 20 mins. And I’ve been standing in my kitchen 30 mins after my plane opened its door at the air-bridge. I’ll always be a proud Londoner, but when Czechs ask me if I miss living there, i dont hesitate to say “nope”.