Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Where should I move to?

edited August 2009 in Not Sports Related
Hi All

I currently live 2 minutes walk from Charlton Station, but the house is too small. I am therefore needing to sell; and oh my god have! Now I have about 325K to spend can go a bit more but can't be more than 30 minutes from London Bridge and as my son is 8 he needs the chance to go to a decent school (i.e. not in the London Borough of Greenwich). What are:
Albany Park
Bexleyheath
Bexley
SIdcup like as places to commute from and to live bare in mind I'll occasionally want to go to a quiet pub locally (if they still exist?) but have lots of options at work already.

Regards

Comments

• Options
    Costa del Sidcup matey. Fast trains take about 18 mins to London Bridge, the Alma is a nice little no-hassle local, and the Dulverton and Longlands Primary Schools have good reputations. Plus my regular drinking partner will be leaving the area soon so i'll need a wing man !
  • Options
    You could check out Elmers End / Hayes, decent schools, train straight to London Bridge in 20-25 mins or so and you could prob get a 3-4 bedroom house there with a decent garden for that money.
  • Options
    Dartford still has grammar schools I believe.

Somewhere in that borough should be 30 minutes from London Bridge.
  • Options
    out of those areas I would suggest the following (in order)

bexley
    sidcup
    albany park
    bexleyheath
    welling
  • Options
    Bermuda is nice.
  • Options
    Melbourne is blinding!!
  • Options
    reckon these might not quite fit into the "30 mins from London Bridge" part though chaps....
  • Options
    If you don't mind trolling across London then why not move near to Ebbsfleet? Schools are ok, better than Greenwich. Prices are cheaper than Bexley area. I live on Riverview park (Gravesend), an extended 3 bed semi will set you back £220k. Prices will rise though.
  • Options
    I live in Greenhithe, perfect for M25/Bluewater, and commuting for the missus.

However, our next move (2-3 years) we want to go to Farnborough common area or West Wickham.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: pickwick[/cite]Hi All

I currently live 2 minutes walk from Charlton Station, but the house is too small. I am therefore needing to sell; and oh my god have! Now I have about 325K to spend can go a bit more but can't be more than 30 minutes from London Bridge and as my son is 8 he needs the chance to go to a decent school (i.e. not in the London Borough of Greenwich). What are:
    Albany Park
    Bexleyheath
    Bexley
    SIdcup like as places to commute from and to live bare in mind I'll occasionally want to go to a quiet pub locally (if they still exist?) but have lots of options at work already.

Regards[/quote]
    How ironic, i have exactly the same dilemma, only difference being is that rather than an 8 year old son, i have a daughter.
    I am swaying towards bexley, although if i could find the right house in Blackfen, that would do.
    The problem with Blackfen seems to be that all the houses are of the pointy type. Then they tend to stick big boxes on the side, which would piss me off if it was the other side of my semi-detatched.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bexley. Still relatively free of oiks. Good trains, buses, schools, shops. Plenty of decent pubs and restaurants in and around the village. A good choice of nice, quiet roads to live in. Lived in the area all my life, so I am a little biased!
  • Options
    Blackfen is a boot from a station.
    I'd say sidcup and bexley are good bets. Same order as golf addick.
  • Options
    I moved from Charlton 18 years ago.
    Bromley borough. generally speaking nice residential areas, good schools, train connections good, nice parks & woods, a council that spends nothing on loony projects and 35 mins from Gatwick.
  • Options
    I'd stay in Charlton mate!
  • Options
    There is that option.
  • Options
    One of our former posters, who for reasons out of his control can no longer post, has recommended this house... in Burnt Oak Lane, Sidcup. Good access to A2 and M20, nearest station Sidcup etc etc. Open to offers...

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-22090087.html?locationIdentifier=POSTCODE%5E214229&includeSSTC=true&_includeSSTC=on&pageNumber=1&backToListURL=%2Fproperty-for-sale%2Ffind.html%3FlocationIdentifier%3DPOSTCODE%255E214229%26includeSSTC%3Dtrue%26_includeSSTC%3Don
  • Options
    You should try the southborough lane/road area of bickley. Good schools near by, both primary & secondary. Good transport links, Bickley Petts wood & chislehurst stations very close by and of course a much better class of residents with many CAFC fans
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]One of our former posters, who for reasons out of his control can no longer post, has recommended this house... in Burnt Oak Lane, Sidcup. Good access to A2 and M20, nearest station Sidcup etc etc. Open to offers...

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-22090087.html?locationIdentifier=POSTCODE%5E214229&includeSSTC=true&_includeSSTC=on&pageNumber=1&backToListURL=%2Fproperty-for-sale%2Ffind.html%3FlocationIdentifier%3DPOSTCODE%255E214229%26includeSSTC%3Dtrue%26_includeSSTC%3Don

Aaaargh, one of those pointy houses waiting for a box to spring up on the side of it.
  • Options
    Try Cornwall mate. It's really matey down here. Your daughter would love growing up by the sea.
    Nice pubs too.

A bit more than 30 mins commute to London Bridge?
    P'raps.

With phone and pc these days, not an issue if you work from home!
  • Options
    Would love to. Me and the missis dream of a move down to that area.
    Only sticking problem is work. I work in rail construction, and fortunatly there is a great deal of it in and around London at the moment, but Cornwall, not so sure.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]out of those areas I would suggest the following (in order)

bexley
    sidcup
    albany park
    bexleyheath
    welling

depends which part of Welling, 'South Welling'/Falconwood is nice and don't forget Blackfen which is also nice both 2nd to Bexley, although BF isn't too well services for a train station.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]out of those areas I would suggest the following (in order)

bexley
    sidcup
    albany park
    bexleyheath
    welling

Would probably agree with this although i'd put some parts of Welling ahead of Bexleyheath.
  • Options
    Bromley.
  • Options
    I know what you mean mate it feels like living in the Alamo in this part of Kidbroke.
  • Options
    I moved to Welling last October and love where we live now.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: valleyman[/cite]You could check out Elmers End / Hayes, decent schools, train straight to London Bridge in 20-25 mins or so and you could prob get a 3-4 bedroom house there with a decent garden for that money.[/quote]

Seconded. Hayes is the start/end of the line. So, Hayes, West Wickham, Eden Park, Elmers End - all of them reasonable enough - depending exactly where and lots of schools to choose from, both junior and secondary.
  • Options
    Bexley - nice little village, train station, good little pubs and really nice restaurants. Plus you'd have two golf courses right on top of ya! (Birchwood and Cray Valley)
  • Options
    just avoid it on st georges day.
  • Options
    How about Crystal Palace. 22 mins from London Bridge, great pubs, restaurants and parks. Best move i've made in South London.
  • Options
    And on plastic paddies day